• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jptortor

Well who would win in a fight? I'm looking at both and like them for different reasons. It seems like the Silo special might be a bit more versatile with all the different coil combinations... But can it rock like the Luke???

Jason

beej

They're both versatile and very comparable. Biggest difference is the neck profile. The SS is more traditionally shaped, the Luke is smaller with a slight "v" and smaller frets. They're both comfortable as hell ... I've owned a few of both and they're great.

Pickup wise, they're a bit different. EMGs tend to be more even across the fequencies, more "hi-fi" for lack for a better term. The SS's p'ups have the typical peaks you'd associate with strat-type p'ups. Again, both are great, you'll probably just EQ your amp a little differently with either.

So they both rock. I'd say play both if you can and you'll know which one feels better to your hands.

TonyEVH5150

Both are awesome guitars. The difference for me is the neck. I like the Silo Special neck much better than the Luke. Just my personal preference. Others love it.

How about a Silo Special with Luke Pickups?

DSC02404.jpg

DSC02409.jpg

The middle and neck pickups are actually an SA and an S. The bridge is an 85. The Luke pickups just came available for sale, so I might switch them out for the SLV's.

the24thfret

I got a Silo Spec and have played a Luke in stores before. I dig the more "traditional" Silo for the neck profile and pickups. More stratty.

Sweat

Both are great guitars and both would win and rock out, cant lose either way or make it easy get both and be very happy:)

jptortor

Well, I would like both.... ha. I think though I am going to splurge and get a PRS Mira for humbucker sounds and either a luke or silo special for more stratlike sounds.

The regular Silo always draws me in too, but it just looks weird to me for some reason... I don't know why.

Volt

Bluesville, The People's Republic of Ohio
I own both. My Silo has the HSS pickup configuration.
Frets: I prefer the Silo's taller frets.
Neck: The neck shape difference is a non-issue for me because the Luke's V-neck is very subtle.
Pickups: I love the tone and the variety I get with the Silo. The Luke's pup's are higher output and have a "heavier" tone that sounds great. I prefer the Silo however - used with a boost pedal to kick it up a notch.
Body/looks: Purely subjective.

ba2m

i had one ss before.. it was really a great guitar with a great sound and playability..

but after i got two luke, i found it was hard for me hopping around to other guitar because of the neck shape of the luke is so unique.. so i sold th ss..

the neck is slightly different.. ss was little bigger than luke and the fret is taller.. both are comfortable to play ( in my opinion, i find luke is easier to play)

i found the sound of both guitars is similar due to the same configuration..

if you want a split coils in luke, you could change the humbucker to an emg 89, some people in here did that and most of the people said it was great..

if you have no problem with changing battery and plug off the cable everytime you're done playing.. then i suggest you to get one luke at least.. you have to have one.. it's really a different guitar..

threeminutesboy

I had both and as you cn see the silo spec is no longer in my signature :p Didn't like the neck on the silo spec.

I really love the Luke though I prefer position 2 pickup configuration on the SS.

candid_x

I didn't know position 2 on a Luke doesn't split the HB. What does position 2 do?

threeminutesboy

humbucker + middle a sound combination I hardly use actually. Reason why some people here upgraded their Luke with a EMG89 instead of EMG85 in order to get THAT quack sound we all love.

Now the rick might be to lower the volume when in pos2 but still sound is a bit strange for me

candid_x

So, it's the full humbucker + middle single coil? Interesting. That would be a deal breaker for me, being a position 2 quackhead junkie. I guess the EMG89 allows splitting the HB. Thanks for the edgimication.

Top Bottom