• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

beej

Ok, take a deep breath ... it'll be ok.

Is the guitar dry? Let it have some normal humidity for a while and see what happens. If the fretboard gets too dry you can get "fret sprout", where the wood shrinks slightly.

rockerjt

Very dry. Warmed to room temp, etc. Sooo bummed.

Ok, take a deep breath ... it'll be ok.

Is the guitar dry? Let it have some normal humidity for a while and see what happens. If the fretboard gets too dry you can get "fret sprout", where the wood shrinks slightly.

Last edited:

whitestrat

Everytime I bring a guitar back from Japan, it's always sticking out at the frets. Then when I bring it back to Singapore for a while, it becomes ok, because the humidity sorts it out.

MMTODD

If it's new, your dealer should be able to take care of things. Beej is right, deep breaths. Necks are wood and things happen. Usually not, but they happen. Ernie Ball Customer Service and your reputable dealer will do their thing to make things right.

I've had unbelievable experiences with CS.

Big Poppa (ok, not so Big anymore Poppa) requests... "Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues". That is good advice and good forum etiquette.

I'm sure things will be resolved for you.

rockerjt

I wasn't bitching....these guys have always been great for me to deal with, and an e-mail was fired off to customer service ASAP. I think I was looking for moral support more than anything and reassurance that I didn't get a lemon. It is so beautiful otherwise, and plays well, other than the fret thing.

Big Poppa (ok, not so Big anymore Poppa) requests... "Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues". That is good advice and good forum etiquette.

I'm sure things will be resolved for you.

Psychicpet

:(
Just got my new Axis after waiting all day for the UPS man. I am really bummed; the guitar has a neck issue.

My last Axis was perfect; not a thing wrong with it and it was one of the best guitars that I ever owned. This one is beautiful, but the frets (not just the crown-the entire side of the fret) stick out over the bottom and top sides of the neck; they dig into my hand as I slide it up and down the neck while playing. Is this a big problem or a quick fix? I am not a tech and never have set up my guitars myself, but this seems like a big problem to me, like the neck may have been cut too narrow or something.

Any advice is appreciated.

JT

Sorry for the sarcastic remark, but.... I just couldn't see anywhere here that struck me as "love the guitar, emailed customer service, just a little bummed" anywhere in your original post.

as for fret sprout, it's par for the course with a fretted instrument made from wood and not a big issue at all.

and what about the major warpage on your buddy's EBMM as well??

"What up guys?" isn't really a remark that oozes 'love ya, but just looking for some moral support'

Big Poppa

Actually I consider your post to be in poor form especially referencing your friends guitar....Where did you buy your guitar...Its winter and climate affects unfinished necks a bunch...You really did cast some aspersions with your first post....Give us a chance to fix it and then talk about it.

as for your friends warped neck please have him contact customer service.....

rockerjt

Just saw this... I take it back, not so sorry for my first comment.

Have fun with your guitars.
Sorry dude, just a little frustrated. I can see how my original post was taken the way it was, but I meant no harm; I was pointing out a couple of guitars that I know had issues, and we both just got them, so I was wondering if anyone online had noticed a trend or if there was something I was overlooking. I guess I just took your comment as insulting and in my current state of mind was irritated enough to fire back.

Never experienced fret sprout in 30 years of playing.

Thanks for the info and again, I apologize for the comment.

rockerjt

Actually I consider your post to be in poor form especially referencing your friends guitar....Where did you buy your guitar...Its winter and climate affects unfinished necks a bunch...You really did cast some aspersions with your first post....Give us a chance to fix it and then talk about it.

as for your friends warped neck please have him contact customer service.....

Hey BP;

Sorry about that; you're right and I should've thought about what I was posting before doing it. I meant no harm and figured everyone in here (myself included) are fans of your guitars, so whatever I mentioned wouldn't be thought of as condemning what everyone knows is a great instrument. I was just so dissapointed, and was wondering if there was some kind of a trend going on, being that my friend had a similar issue (his guitar is on the way to you). I was hoping for some advice on a quick fix, being that I don't know a hell of a lot about setting up or fixing instruments. After my first Axis was so perfect, I panicked when this one wasn't.

Again, I am sorry if it looked like I was slamming you guys; I wasn't, as I love your stuff.

BTW, I got it from Grand Central Music, somewhere in the Great Lakes Region, and it was in transit for 5 days to me in Northern CA.

Last edited:

hbucker

Humidify the guitar (around 40% should do it) for a while. The neck will expand to the width of the frets and you'll be smooth. You might try some lemon oil too but I'd do the humidity first.

douglasspears

:(

My last Axis was perfect; not a thing wrong with it and it was one of the best guitars that I ever owned. JT

why'd you sell that one?

I remember you started about 11 threads about it.

Thread titles like....
-can't wait for my axis!
-dealer was 2 weeks late!
-UPS man was late!
-opened to the door to get the guitar!
-guitar is awesome!
-guitar is awesome!
-sold the guitar, getting a BFR!
....and so on

strange.

sorry to hear about your recent concerns though. It'll get resolved.

Nik_Left_RG

I am in MI and its freaking cold nowadays.. I am sure the weather has its effects on the instrument,, My guitar has beared the brunt of this weather..

Better start prayin for some sun before i get my MM.. LOL.. Most likely aint gonna happen..

But,,I'd def like to know more about how each season change affects the wood,etc on the guitar.. Just asking.. And, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all :D

rockerjt

Hah....temp insanity. Actually cash short; should've found a way to keep it thiugh-it was amazing.

11 threads? I guess I was impressed. :)

why'd you sell that one?

I remember you started about 11 threads about it.

Thread titles like....
-can't wait for my axis!
-dealer was 2 weeks late!
-UPS man was late!
-opened to the door to get the guitar!
-guitar is awesome!
-guitar is awesome!
-sold the guitar, getting a BFR!
....and so on

strange.

sorry to hear about your recent concerns though. It'll get resolved.

Slingy

Hey RockerJT. I see you don't live too far from me, I'm in Fair Oaks. I've got some fret doctor which is really wonderful stuff that prevents shrinkage and properly conditions the wood to its natural state, people use it on civil war fifes and any raw hardwood like Rosewood, Cocobolo, Ebony etc. Not sure about your fret issue since I never saw your post, but stop by if you want, have a jam on the Luke, and I'll give you a bottle. Shoot me a PM.

Top Bottom