• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

whitestrat

A Deep Purple fan asked Steve which guitar properties affect “tone and sustain most, body/neck/fretboard wood-type, neck joint type, pickups, bridge/saddle design, nut, anything else?”

Steve's Answer: I can answer some of it. I tend to have an analytical approach to sound changes on guitars. Right off the bat, the fact that every one is different due to the density of the wood comes into play. It’s difficult to do a true A/B comparison of each change.

First for me is the pickups, then the bridge, then the density of the wood body. Neck and fretboard don’t change the sound much on a solid body electric to my ears. My old frankenstein telecaster had a tune-o-matic bridge with nylon bridge wedges instead of metal. When I changed it for a metal one, it was such a drastic tone difference that I immediately switched back.

Likewise, when I don’t need a whammy bar for a song, I will gladly change back to a hardtail bridge, simply because they sound better to my ears. The whammy bridges that I have are high quality and have plenty of sustain…but they do not have the lively, reactive feel of the simple bridges I prefer.

Pickups are very important, in the same way that the preamp settings on your amplifier are important. They are basic tone coloration, especially the position of the pickups. On my guitar, the neck position pickup needed to be exactly where it is, which meant limiting the number of frets, which was a compromise in favor of tone and roundness over having frets 23 and 24 on the fretboard.

Setting the distance of the pickups from the strings is very important, too. On almost every signature Music Man that I have signed or played, I would bring down the single coil pickups farther from the strings, almost to the pickguard. It doesn’t look symmetrical to the eyes, but it works for me. Keep the humbuckers closer to the strings. The reason is that single coil pickup(s) work best with the guitar volume on 3 or 4, when their naturally brighter sound makes up for the loss of square wave harmonic (apparent) high end when you turn down the guitar to clean it up. Also the farther from the strings they are, the less likely they are to overload the input of the amp…….which is how I can get clean sounds from the amp without having to switch channels on the amp.
I’ve never been able to make a scientific comparison of through-the-body neck design versus bolt on, but I have switched necks back and forth. While one neck may sound different with different frets, or even the slight differences in the height or angle of the nut affect open chords, the sound will be virtually the same. Adding a great deal more mass seems like it could affect it, of course. Instinct tells me that the wood type of the neck would change the sound, but I have never experienced it in a true scientific, A/B test.

From WoodyTone! - Morse’s Tone Thoughts

Wow... I didn't see that bit coming about the single coil setting. That's a great idea! I'm asusming this applies to the Y2D as well?

Last edited:

douglasspears

I think I can hear all the pickup height screws turning right now, haha.

Keep in mind tho, he's talking about doing this so he can keep his amp on dirty, and get a cleaner sound by rolling off the guitar volume. It may be a very different scenario for someone playing mainly on cleaner channels.

fbecir

I think I can hear all the pickup height screws turning right now, haha.
I've already done that years ago !!!;)
In fact, I spent quite some time investigating all the photos of Steve, trying to measure the pickup height :eek:
Thanks to Tommy, the quest is over !

tommyindelaware

Tommy what kind of pick holder is on top of the guitar like steve has??

it's simply a strip of velcro w/ a leather top. i make them for all his guitars.just take a 7"x1" piece of male & female velcro........stick it on.....cap it w/ a matching strip of leather on the adheisive top.......& yer done. the pick just gets shoved in between the boy & girl point first. he's used these for decades.

tommyindelaware

i recently documented the #1 guitar & the #1 y2d pickup heights for dudley . i will post them soon.

main y2d pickups are currently as follows.
neck=5/32
bridge single=4/32
bridge hummer=4/32

6/32 neck humbucker
6/32 slanted single (pickup cover is flush w/ the pickguard)
9/64 bridge single
9/64 bridge humbucker

this varies on the y2d on the bridge hummer pickup from time to time (slightly)

fbecir

respect1.gif
respect1.gif
respect1.gif
respect1.gif
respect1.gif
respect1.gif
respect1.gif
respect1.gif
respect1.gif
respect1.gif
respect1.gif
respect1.gif

main y2d pickups are currently as follows.
neck=5/32
bridge single=4/32
bridge hummer=4/32

6/32 neck humbucker
6/32 slanted single (pickup cover is flush w/ the pickguard)
9/64 bridge single
9/64 bridge humbucker

this varies on the y2d on the bridge hummer pickup from time to time (slightly)

banjoplayer

it's simply a strip of velcro w/ a leather top. i make them for all his guitars.just take a 7"x1" piece of male & female velcro........stick it on.....cap it w/ a matching strip of leather on the adheisive top.......& yer done. the pick just gets shoved in between the boy & girl point first. he's used these for decades.

thanks. I wondered many times what it is.
I´m not sure, i get it right... what´s the leather stripe for? The pick is in between the velcro? I tried this, the pick did not hold very properly?!?!

kard2565

Ok, silly question for measuring the pickup height. When I set mine I usually measure from the High and Low E strings fretted at the last fret. I measure from the bottom of the strings to the top of the bobbin or cover for singles. Should I keep doing what I have been or measure without fretting the strings? I want to see how close my Y2D is setup to Steve's.

Top Bottom