• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

daahoud

I plan to restore my Sabre's preamp part.
And got some reference from all over internet (yeh, it's hard to find Sabre information), the "Middle" Toggle switch seems to be called "Phase".
How does it work ?
According to my resource, it works only for Bridge pickup and it connect the "neck pickup" to ground so makes it phantom.

One more. My sabre body's 2 piece. how's yours ? :(

Last edited:

bdgotoh

The phase switch only works when both pickups are on. When two pickups are out of phase they cancel out all of the sound produced by each except for the differences between them (the difference in the sound between the two pickups). This is why the volume drops and it sounds thin when you have the phase switch on. This works pretty well on guitars, it can make humbuckers sound more like single coils but who wants a thin sounding bass?

daahoud

so, the volume drop's kinda inevitable with phase on.
I got one circuit diagram and it says if Phase on , Neck pickup goes to ground which means off....

spideyjg

Not many basses had a phases switch. I've had 2, a Peavey T-40 which is gone and the Sabre I still have, and in either case the phase switch was/is never used because the effect is useless.

Leo moved on to another company after the split and dropped the phase switch from his basses and EBMM dumped the phase switch from their retooled Sabre.

Jim

daahoud

Leo moved on to another company after the split and dropped the phase switch from his basses and EBMM dumped the phase switch from their retooled Sabre.

Jim

Yep, Jim. I know it's not used very much and only few basses has the function on board.
Only I wanna know is about the theory and circuit.
Thanks.

daahoud

Actually, if you could, I'd turn that useless phase switch into something useful like a coil tap or mid boost or something....
so how's your 79 Sabre ? did you change ? hahha.
yeh, people don't want the phase function and regard it as useless, but never seen anyone change to another. I guess... because Sabre is Sabre. ^^. They just want to keep it as it is. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom