• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

PaoloGilberto

Romania ...that's a country ...in Europe :))
Hi ,

I just wanted to know from your experience what kind of lemon oil would you recommend for rosewood fingerboard? (planet waves, dunlop, etc)
I have JP...
A friend is using Gerlitz guitar honey on his SILO and is very happy.
in the same time I heard that lemon oil makes the wood dry if you are not using after a product like Fret Doctor.

I use now for strings Fast Fret GHS A87 Fast Fret
I am not liking it or dislike it :p
the strings just feels smooth when you play ...
but is says you can use it for frets, neck and fingerboard, though I had not the courage to do so :D

Now regarding the neck "maintenance" , I can not find here (romania -somewhere in europe- hahaha) the Birchwood Casey products , anything else you would recommend? (a friend wanted to bring me from US but the airline said are flammable and cannot take them in the plane :rolleyes: )

later edit: I can not find wonder wipes in RO as some suggested :)

paul

Last edited:

ily

i've found Birchwood Casey products in europe
at thomman.de
they sell a complete kit
:):)

candid_x

Birchwood Casy isn't made for rosewood fingerboards. Most so called lemon oil products for wood are kerosene with lemon scent. Either use 100% pure culinary grade lemon oil, or better yet, get EB Wonder Wipes fretboard cleaner and conditioner.

Coffeemug

Ah, forgot about this...here's the link to Thomann, they'll ship to Romania for sure...!

Music Man Care Set MMPflege1

If you don't wanna redo the entire neck with the oil/wax treatment, I'd definitely go for the Wonder Wipes! They're tailor made for the rw fretboard!

Last edited:

PaoloGilberto

Romania ...that's a country ...in Europe :))
thank you all a lot for opinions. I re-edit the text to clarify some point :)

Coffemug , thx a lot, I had a search few weeks ago on thoman but with "Birchwood casy" and were no results...i see that the kit has the music man name stick to it

the price is just crazy at thomann, 3 times higher then ordering them from US and paying shipping :confused:

any other opinions on products for rosewood fingerboard?

Last edited:

fbecir

Birchwood Casy isn't made for rosewood fingerboards. Most so called lemon oil products for wood are kerosene with lemon scent. Either use 100% pure culinary grade lemon oil, or better yet, get EB Wonder Wipes fretboard cleaner and conditioner.

Oh, I didn't know that most of the lemon oil products was kerosene with lemon scent :mad:
I will have to check more carefully the products I use (I have some Dunlop Lemon Oil and some Dr. Stringfellow).
I think you're right : it's better to use culinary oil so you are sure it's not a toxic product.

Mick

Use wonderwipes and get rid of the fast fret crap, no good!
If you want to buy birchwood casey, google in your country - sometimes in gunshops they sell it.

Spudmurphy

as I said in the first lines , I can't find wonder wipes here, so this suggestion is not a solution :(

Johnson baby oil seems very greasy , hmmm....it may be good but I can't afford the risk :p
There is no risk - my mate builds guitars for a living and uses it all the time.
I've used it , others have used it and no one has complained yet.

Oily? Well think of Lemon OIL etc- its an oil that feeds the wood.
It is soooooooooo cheap too!

Deadshaun

Lizard Spit fretboard conditioner, I bought it in The Netherlands at a local shop. When you put it on the fretboard gets a bit abrasive (so it's not greasey) but after a bit of playng its smooth and clean as you've never seen (and felt) it.

jamminjim

linseed oil, natural oils, etc...

Here's some info I dug up... by the way I have been using Gibs0n Fretboard Conditioner on my rosewood boards for years... think I'm going to try another product (see below)

Linseed oil ....
Linseed oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However Linseed oil (Flaxseed oil) in any of it's formulations has some negative attributes (unless it's denatured) read about other oils too...
Bore Oil for the Fife

Linseed Oil Information and Use on the Natural Handyman home repair and do it yourself website
there's also this oil .....
Pure Tung Oil Finish - Wood Finishing - All Natural Finish - China Wood Oil - Real Milk Paint ®

I think what I'm going to do is get some of this.... (or my trusty Murphy's oil soap)
cleaner

and then start using this...
stuff for treating fretboards

Last edited:

Slingy

If you can get the Fret Doctor from beafifer.com than that would be all you need to care of a new rosewood board. I love this stuff.

Now, I have this old Martin which is not so pretty, over the years somebody used some kind of product that sealed the wood, it looks quite gross to me and artificial compared to my eb boards, and nothing can soak into it, so it is dried out and cracking. Be wary of using anything that would make a permanent seal.

Lukesilo

You all got me thinking alot and this is good. I really want to take care of my Silo Special and didnt know what was best so now I have some insight.

nobozos

Dude, this topic is one of those that you will never find a concensus on. There are way too many theories out there. After researching all of the claims, I have come to the conclusion that you can use products like Lizard Spit, Dr. Stringfellow, or other "kerosene based" fretboard conditioners. The one thing I learned is that I was over-oiling my neck and fretboard. Only oil it when it starts looking dry. I was oiling mine religously once a month.

Don't use hard drying oils.

Organic oils make your fretboard smell funny.

Top Bottom