• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bongo

Hi guys,

New to the forum. I currently play and Anderson GT and a Parker NiteFly M..always wanted an Ernie Ball particularly a Steve Morse Ernie Ball.

Which brings me to my question - A buddy (an avid collector)has a Steve Morse sinature model for sale...after many years of me buigging him.

It's hand signed and hand serialized 30/50. I have no idea what it's monetary value is and my pal is a bit of a shark. Any advice would be appreciated!

Dante

you should check around for the second hand value of a morse, like in the thread above and ebay. and then you should ask EBMM whether the guitar indeed one of the first was (it's not a proto, it's from the first 50 seriers, hand signed). if it indeed one of the first 50 is, it's only worth as much as you are willing to pay for it, but much more than a second hands one, and probably more than a new one.

for instance, one german shop has one of the first 50 JPs and they are asking about 3000 euros. and it isn't even NOS, simply in good condition.

the24thfret

you should check around for the second hand value of a morse, like in the thread above and ebay. and then you should ask EBMM whether the guitar indeed one of the first was (it's not a proto, it's from the first 50 seriers, hand signed). if it indeed one of the first 50 is, it's only worth as much as you are willing to pay for it, but much more than a second hands one, and probably more than a new one.

for instance, one german shop has one of the first 50 JPs and they are asking about 3000 euros. and it isn't even NOS, simply in good condition.

Agreed. Get the serial number and contact EB customer service to verify what the guitar actually is. But with something "rare" like that, it is only worth as much as what you are willing to pay for it. Actually, it's only worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay for it, right?

Also, unless you've had your heart set on a Morse for some time, if the $ he wants is out of your ballpark, you may want to just pursue a "normal" model and ignore the collector's item... if he is a shark, this may prove much more affordable.

Dante

Agreed. Get the serial number and contact EB customer service to verify what the guitar actually is. But with something "rare" like that, it is only worth as much as what you are willing to pay for it. Actually, it's only worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay for it, right?

Also, unless you've had your heart set on a Morse for some time, if the $ he wants is out of your ballpark, you may want to just pursue a "normal" model and ignore the collector's item... if he is a shark, this may prove much more affordable.

+1. a collector's guitar is just investment in the end. i'd get a new one.

Big Poppa

Wait lets answer his question and not give him different advice than he is seeking.

THere have been a few of the originals trade hands and there is an established value...Beej and Pete Dubaldo and Tommy in delaware are great resources for this.....

beej

Bongo! That's an awesome username ... how was that not taken before???

As Big Poppa mentioned, there are a few of those 50 that have found their way to members here. I've got #23. I've seen half a dozen move in the last year or two.

Value somewhat depends on the physical condition it's in. They're usually in the $1800-ish range though, give or take. I've seen them go lower and higher, but I think that's a reasonable market value if it's in good shape.

It's an awesome guitar. The neck is slightly different than the new ones in that it's finished (it predated the oil & wax they use now). But there's just something about those ones- they're amazing players. I think if you can get it a reasonable price then totally go for it.

Here's a fun photo ... it's Tommy (tommyindelaware), Steve, me and Pete Dubaldo with our 5 of the first 50 (Steve's being #1). He played them all that day and remarked how similar they all were to his.

Steve_Morse_Clinic_017.jpg

rmh925

Bongo! That's an awesome username ... how was that not taken before???

As Big Poppa mentioned, there are a few of those 50 that have found their way to members here. I've got #23. I've seen half a dozen move in the last year or two.

Value somewhat depends on the physical condition it's in. They're usually in the $1800-ish range though, give or take. I've seen them go lower and higher, but I think that's a reasonable market value if it's in good shape.

It's an awesome guitar. The neck is slightly different than the new ones in that it's finished (it predated the oil & wax they use now). But there's just something about those ones- they're amazing players. I think if you can get it a reasonable price then totally go for it.

Here's a fun photo ... it's Tommy (tommyindelaware), Steve, me and Pete Dubaldo with our 5 of the first 50 (Steve's being #1). He played them all that day and remarked how similar they all were to his.

Steve_Morse_Clinic_017.jpg

Awesome pic Beej...I wish i had one of the first 50, but they don't come around often so Bongo if you are getting the chance for one go for it.

PeteDuBaldo

As mentioned before they are worth as much as the buyer will pay. That being said, buyers have paid the following:

If they are in good shape then $1500-1800

#4 is in fantastic condition and was bought for $2300.

#11 has some serious dings and chips and went for around half the normal "good" rate.

We would love to see some pics of #30!

I LOVE THAT PHOTO!

jamminjim

Congrats Jim.. :D

But on this forum Ernie Ball Music Man Steve Morse signature model guitars, even the personally signed ones, do not exist, unless there is photographic evidence to the contrary and that evidence is posted here for all to see.

;)

e.mate

congrats jim.. :d

but on this forum ernie ball music man steve morse signature model guitars, even the personally signed ones, do not exist, unless there is photographic evidence to the contrary and that evidence is posted here for all to see.

;)

+1 lol

Top Bottom