• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

balance

In my experience, on the 27" side tuned to standard E-E tuning, the notes have a fuller sounding timbre to them with a slightly improved intonation; bending the strings was not difficult. I have not tried a JP Baritone tuned standard with its 27.5" scale, though would expect it to be more of the same, if not a slightly harder bending of the notes required.

A 25.5" or even 24.75" setup properly can have equal intonation though. What are you looking to get out of it?

walleye

the longer the scale the easier it is to hit harmonics and artificial harmonics.

in my opinion 27.0" is the smallest scale that can satisfactorily support the low B of a 7 string. no offense JP7 fans, i think the low B on the 25.5s are too floppy and dont sound very tight.

on the other hand, people dont like how sharp the high strings sound on the 27.0, i dont mind it so much.

obviously the longer scale has very large fret spaces down towards the nut, and some stretchy chords will be very difficult

it also makes slapping techniques much easier on the long scaler

patpark

it's all a matter of preference. the longer scale makes for tighter string tension. bending the strings takes more force (strings are tighter)

25.5" is pretty much standard for most guitars and offers the best compromise between playability and good tone. the longer scale is really for guys who want more tension or need to tune lower. if your happy with 25.5 I don't see any reason to change. if your looking to expand with lower tunings, then look into a baritone guitar.

walleye

It sounds like you guys are saying that a 27" scale is actually better?

Is there any reason to go 25.5"?

well for a 7 string id definitely go 27.0
for a 6 string 25.5

maybe if the guitar was going to played in a metal-only band (and for some reason 7s werent an option) i might consider 27.0

JP7Nomad

IMO, 27" is completely unnecessary.

Adding the inch and a half to the scale compromises the tone of the higher strings to add roughly a pound of tension to all of the strings. If you want to add a pound of tension - use a thicker gauge.

Hendog

giving the Count of Tuscany a Glasgow Kiss
IMO, 27" is completely unnecessary.

Adding the inch and a half to the scale compromises the tone of the higher strings to add roughly a pound of tension to all of the strings. If you want to add a pound of tension - use a thicker gauge.

Is it unnecessary for a 7 string?

So the lower notes sound better but the higher notes sound worse?

JP7Nomad

Is it unnecessary for a 7 string?

So the lower notes sound better but the higher notes sound worse?

I feel it's unnecessary, yes.

The higher notes sound shrill due to that extra length. The lower notes tighten up a little bit, but it's no different than just going up in string gauge.

walleye

then the answer is multiscale fanned fret

problems with that are: hard to make it with a tremolo bridge

attracts annoying questions from other guitarists who use words like "dog" and "bro" alot

thats about it really

just a quick google images if you dont know what im talking about:

426954920_b3d89ce986_b.jpg

Top Bottom