• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Big Poppa

I received this email today....

Sterling,
Can you post this for me?

Wow! I can't believe I'm celebrating 10 years with Music Man already!
I'm so excited to introduce the JPX this year. It's the next incarnation in the gradual progression of my signature guitar.
One of the amazing things about working with Sterling and the boys over at Music Man is having the freedom to be able to introduce changes to my instrument that coincide with the evolution of my musical style and creative voice.
Being able to interpret and realize my requests is certainly a talent possessed by all at MM. It's definitely an ongoing process. In fact, we never actually intended on making the JPX, it sort of happened accidentally. After playing the 25th anniversary model, I wondered what my guitar would sound like if it too were chambered and how it would feel if the body were also a bit bigger. Same goes with the 5 way switch. Then, I've often wondered what the BFR would look like if it were made to look more symmetrical with the horns of equal leanness and the hips without the offset. I immediately fell in love with Drew's drawings. Also, well over a year ago when Dudley and I spoke about a stealth version of my original JP model with all black hardware and pick ups, once again I was salivating. The larger frets were basically a result of me always wondering how they would feel on this model. The ebony fretboard and opaque finish came from playing the Dargie. Although I absolutely cherish all of my beautiful and unique transparent maple burst BFRs, I was sent an awesome black sparkle that looked amazing under the stage lights. Finally I asked for a little purple in the sparkle and the borolo color was born. So the guitar naturally evolved based partly on curiosity and experimentation, and partially on the implementation of new and successful ideas and technological advancements. It wasn't until Sterling and I were reminiscing about our 10 year mark and him saying, "You know what? Let's make this latest version your tenth anniversary model" that the JPX was born!
So that's the story. I absolutely love the way the JPX came out. It looks lean, mean and ready for battle, it sounds tremendous and plays like a dream.
I've said it before, but I consider myself blessed to be working with such a brilliant group of individuals at the best guitar company on the planet!
Can't wait 'till you have a chance to try it and hope you'll enjoy it as much as I am.
JP
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

GHWelles

Wow. Incredible.

Can you imagine any other manufacturer forum with this level of inside detail on a new model?

kissmyaxe

im sooooo sad I cant get this guitar, fingers still crossed on the reflex, I NEED a chambered MM

browndog

Great words from a very happy guy. Its very nice of him that he wanted to share with us the journey of the process. Thanks BP & JP.

Coffeemug

Wow. Incredible.

Can you imagine any other manufacturer forum with this level of inside detail on a new model?

+1 on that!

It's really unique that we get so much inside information, much appreciated!
Thanks for posting BP and to John for taking the time to let us in on his thoughts about the JPX.

GuitarHack

"Sent from my BlackBerry"...I bet John can text faster than any other human on that thing, he probably typed the whole thing in one second flat! :D

John asking to have that posted here, that's just too cool.

roburado

It would be cool if JP popped in and told us what he was after with this guitar, how he likes it, what he thinks it gives him, or anything else he might have to say about. I'd love the hear or see what he thinks. I think it's sweet. Love the concept.

But...he's a busy guy. So, if he pops in, great. If not, well...I'll catch him on tour or YouTube or something. :)

Wow! Ask and you shall receive! Thanks, BP and JP!

balance

Thanks for sharing BP and John. Was this model available in time to be used on the BC&SL album? The tones on that album are sublime; easily John's best IMO.

joe web

thanks for posting this mail.
i remember the video Jordan Rudess made before the show, where JP shows him his new black sparkle with the comment "it´s only for me!" :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYyTgNchd7A"]YouTube- Petrucci and the new black beauty[/ame]

Top Bottom