• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

myrz

which fingerboard/neck combo do you prefer and why?

Last edited:

bbake1

Maple. Mostly the look. I just don't like looking at a dark neck, even painted ones. Maple/maple is great. Maple w/rosewood board is ok. As far as tone I can get the same out of either. For me it's like fonts; I can't deal with Times Roman. Just a preference.

browndog

I’ve been on maple necks for as long as I can remember. It's my personal preference as I just like the look of maple.

musikarero

To be honest I can't tell the difference. People say there is but it must be pretty subtle.

izzy

I prefer the look of rosewood, and have always bought rosewood neck guitars on that basis.

That is until the last guitar I ordered / received. I took a chance on maple neck and I'll never go back. Satin finish maple FTW: love the tone, love the feel.

Stratty316

Generally I am an all maple guy. I don't really care for maple with a rosewood board, it's really a texture thing... However, the HHAL's all rosweood neck has me completely enthralled with rosewood! So, I'm thinking as long as it's all 1type of wood I'll play anything.

threeminutesboy

I've played rosewood fingerboard since I started guitar.

My Axis was my first all maple, I liked it and had a balanced of RW and maple in my guitars. Now, I'm back exclusively to RW and both guitar and bass

the all RW neck is just amazing, my Dargie AL is amazing too

just my Axis Sport and EVH have the maple neck and I like them this way

John C

Rosewood here also - ever since I started playing. Back in the day it made more of a difference in feel since the maple board necks had finished fingerboards (and when I started that finish was nice, thick, plastic-y polyurathane); with an EBMM that isn't an issue but now I'm just used to rosewood.

shadowboxer

Back in the day it made more of a difference in feel since the maple board necks had finished fingerboards (and when I started that finish was nice, thick, plastic-y polyurathane); with an EBMM that isn't an issue but now I'm just used to rosewood.

I always stuck to rosewood - or ebony, if it was an option - fretboards for exactly the same reason. The ASS neck changed my mind...now I really like oil-finished maple (or ebony). Rosewood can sometimes be too open-grained for my tastes, but I think it's more an aesthetic preference than a functional one.

I would like to try one of the all-rosewood necks, though...

brokenvail

I am a maple guy. Unless I can have all Rosewood. There is magic with those all Rosewood necks. If I had to a choice of a guitar with all RW or all maple I take all RW but if that is not a choice I prefer all maple.

sandmannn69

Maple for rock or darker sounding guitars/pickups, rosewood for mellow stuff or metal. I prefer maple for its punchy sound, contrast with the guitar body color. Ebony, if you can afford it, is the best-smooth and bright.

Top Bottom