• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Assumer

Hey guys
How do you know when it is time for a refret vs just getting the frets recrowned?

beej

Depends how much fret wire you have left. A good tech should be able to tell you pretty easily. I find that your frets are pretty dead before the re-fret ... usually you just know.

Dr. Lemonator

I had to make the same decision on my (dare I say it?) Ibanez and I went with a refret. If you have a problem with your fingertips catching on the fretboard when you bend, it might be a good time to refret. If the frets are just getting worn down and flattened but still maintain some height, get them leveled and crowned. :)

Assumer

Not catching the fingerboard. They seem to have good height but just flattened. I will take it to a tech. thanks for the replies.

kimonostereo

Yep. Frets are leveled, then crowned. In other words, the frets are filed with a long straight file so they are all the same height, then given back their shape by rounding the tops back with a crowning file. Some old school luthiers can do it with just regular files too!

My Al probably needs a refret. The frets are pretty worn down in the middle from tons of bends throughout the years. I wonder if the previous owners giged with this one?

Abraxas

IMO, if the nut starts getting too high after a few fret dress jobs, then it's time for a refret. In my view it isn't worth it lowering the nut to compensate for reduced fret height.

kimonostereo

IMO, if the nut starts getting too high after a few fret dress jobs, then it's time for a refret. In my view it isn't worth it lowering the nut to compensate for reduced fret height.

Totally agree! That's something that some folks don't look at.

Assumer

When it is time for a refret, I keep hearing about pleked necks. Is it worth it to have this done or just send it back to MM. There necks play so nice I can't see a need to have anything extra done.

jcm900

Totally agree.

lukather101

I had a nightmare getting my Luke setup but a top guitar Tech (close friend of spuds) finally got it sorted.
That guitar had raised frets from the 12th up and he had to take a lot off them to get it to play buzz free but I have to say that when playing it know I don't notice the difference in the fret height.

All I know is that compared to when I took it in it now feels really nice, well worth getting it done..

Top Bottom