• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

roadrunr

Hey guys I just started learning bass(age 59 go figure)

What do you think of these little rigs

1-shuttle 6 with 112 and another 112 if needed or neox212.

2-tc elec. staccato same speacker set up

3-Mesa scout walkabout 112 I really want this one but don`t think you can use headphones or cd player with it.

I would like to be able to practice and not Po the little lady late at night:D

I don`t have a EB yet but will in a few months:)

shakinbacon

What do you think of these little rigs

1-shuttle 6 with 112 and another 112 if needed or neox212.

2-tc elec. staccato same speacker set up

3-Mesa scout walkabout 112 I really want this one but don`t think you can use headphones or cd player with it.

I would like to be able to practice and not Po the little lady late at night:D

I don`t have a EB yet but will in a few months:)

I use option 1 and I *highly* recommend it. It is great for practice and loud enough for gigs that I do (but I usually use it as a monitor/DI these days).

The tone, weight and flexibility is the best I've ever had in 25 years

Grand Wazoo

Mark Bass CMD102P

although mine has been souped up with a tube head, it's the best combo money can buy and I guarantee you, you won't need an ext. cab, unless you wish to play stadiums and stuff.

19c171fc.jpg

Powman

Never too late! I started learning bass after my 40th B-day. Loving it!

One more vote for the Markbass from me. They are loud and light...you don't want to be lugging around SVT fridges at 59 (or 45 in my case!).

The Markbass does not have a headphone jack...but what I would do here is buy a used affordable practice amp for under $100.

For practicing, I used to use a 30 W Ashdown. Now I use the DI out of my Markbass into my Presonus A/D interface into my iMac. Then I use Garageband to record my practice sessions so I can listen to my mistakes and try to improve. That's a pricey setup but I am kinda give you a heads up on where your new hobby will be taking you.

And also, I am soon going to be getting my second Music Man bass...so brace yourself for an attack of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)

Music Man will surely take the mind
Where minds can't usually go.
Come on the amazing journey
And learn all you should know

adouglas

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
There's much to be said for having something different to practice with. I personally use, and really like, headphone amps.

They're cool because:

- You can leave your regular amp at the rehearsal studio and not have to lug it around. This is a BIG deal over time. (I take the same approach with my basses... I keep my gigging basses at the rehearsal studio so all I have to do on band practice night is just go there.)
- You don't have to think about buying one amp to do different things (e.g. practice AND gig).
- Your family and neighbors will like you better because you can crank as loud as you want and nobody will be able to hear it but you. And they won't get sick of your endless repetition of the same stuff.
- You can make as many mistakes as you like and only you will know. :D

For quite a while I used an IK Multimedia Stealthplug. Good product, and it comes with a bunch of effects and different amp models to play with. The only drawback is that you're physically tied to your computer.

Currently I use a Vox Amplug Bass. The advantages of this are that it's self-contained and it's cheap at only $50. I can slap on a pair of headphones and stick my iPod in my pocket, and be completely mobile while practicing. The drawbacks are that you have to feed it batteries and there are no effects/amp models to choose from. But for practice, you really don't need all that stuff.

vguilbault

+1 for the markbass... Light, enough power for small and medium venues, and good tone! I'm also using a Sansamp RBI as a preamp to warm my sound! When I practice, I use a bass pedal Korg AX3000B (I was using it before, but not anymore....). Plug my PC audio out into it, my bass, and use my headphone out on it... So I play into my headphone with music... Sounds good and my wife and kids don't have to listend to me!!!

Good luck!

roadrunr

Thanks guys for info -I`ve been reading this forum for a while and see a lot of love for the MB amps-
and will check them out when I find some local.

Have tried the shuttle 6 combo and like it-has all the stuff I need but before I spend the $$ I want to check out more amps.

For now it will be practice and self enjoyment and maybe some jams with friends from the old days(I played keyboards,guitar and sang back then)

roadrunr

I use option 1 and I *highly* recommend it. It is great for practice and loud enough for gigs that I do (but I usually use it as a monitor/DI these days).

The tone, weight and flexibility is the best I've ever had in 25 years

How does the epi compare to the GB 112-my local store does`nt have an Epi for me to compare:(

Is there a site on line to hear different cabnets. I know about Youtube but sometimes that`s a crap shoot as to good sound demos.

thanks

Last edited:

shakinbacon

How does the epi compare to the GB 112-my local store does`nt have an Epi for me to compare:(

Is there a site on line to hear different cabnets. I know about Youtube but sometimes that`s a crap shoot as to good sound demos.

thanks

Unfortunately you just have to try them. Bring your gear to as many stores as you have time for. I brought my bass (SR5HH at the time) and head (Shuttle 6.0).

I've heard great things about the NEOX line but haven't experienced them myself. The Epi 112 definitely sounded better than the shuttle combo's 112.

I tried several when I demod the Epifani and it was the best in the single 12 format. I don't recall all the cabinets, but there was an Aguilar in the mix. The Epi was light years beyond the Avatar I had. imho of course.

MadMatt

Hey Roadrunner,

I did not start playing Bass until 2 years ago at the ripe age of 40. Maybe we should create a "Late learners" community :)

I think any of the suggestions you get here will be good. In case you dont like the Markbass, I use a Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T and I am very happy with the sound of my 25th though it. The 3.0 is the tubeless head with a 10" Cab. It works perfectly for practicing and can double as a stage monitor. It has headphones, DI out and an Aux-In for play along.

roadrunr

Hey MadMatt -the Shuttle 3 is my other choice but the shop I went only had the 6 in stock to test out.

We could start an ole fart club--no farting out cabs though:D.

njhammer

I see no one's giving GK any kudos, so I have to stand up for my MB150E.

1x12 combo with (I think) an awesome pre, stereo DI, FX loop, headphone and aux inputs. Sounds great with my EB's. Add the 1x12 MBX cab for 150w and it and 2 SR5's still all fit somewhat comfortably on the back seat of my VW cabriolet.....

tommixx

I currently own a TC Electronics RH450 and a Stacatto and love them with several different cabinets. For what its worth I ordered a Combo 450 today with a 210 configuration...Highly recommend them!

Peace,

T

Top Bottom