• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Boogie.Man

I've been on a bass buying binge lately. I purchased a StingRay SLO in Black Magic Crystal / Rosewood and followed that with a StingRay Classic in Surf Green / Rosewood. I've also always had a fondness for a certain German made bass named after a sports car. I had heard that the production on the model was shifting to Korea, which was disappointing many fans of that brand. I had had several of these in the past, so my desire for another one suddenly shot up and I started an Internet search.

An individual in my town purchased the whole inventory of the German company's former USA distributor. I stumbled across him this week and was lucky enough to score a NIB 2 year old model. I was actually able to choose from four of this model picking one with a beautiful grain. I was the first person to touch it since it left Germany. Finally, I was able to purchase it at the distributor's cost (roughly 1/3 of the going retail price) because the owner of the business had lost his real job and has to pay back the loan on the inventory. He's nervous sitting on the inventory. That's the good part for me, anyway.

Beautiful bass? Yes. Well made? Yes. Once-in-a-lifetime price? Yes. Do I really like it? Yes. How does it compare to my Sterling and StingRays? Close, but no cigar! I had forgot why I transitioned away from this brand to Music Man several years ago. I prefer the Music Man products by a clear margin. The necks on my StingRays and Sterling just seem so perfect. And nothing sounds better to me than the growl of my SLO Special StingRay through my Mesa Boogie Walkabout. The German one has a distinct sound which to me sounds a little more like my Sterling HS but more HiFi sounding. I will keep it but if I ever cull the herd, it will be the first to go.

I posted my find on the forum sponsored by the German company. I knew that there were some good opportunities for fans of that brand. I was trying to help, like when I have posted Music Man finds at my local GCs on this forum. i.e. I came across a Classic StingRay in Surf Green and birdeyes maple neck that just came in at one of the GCs. I posted this and someone out of state was looking for one and quickly called and purchased it. I was glad to be of help. A couple of them thought that I was a spammer. Oh well, at least I tried.

Last edited:

bass-slinger

I have a "Japanese sword" made by the same company that made your "sports car" and I must agree...both fine instruments, to be sure...but my Bongo just has more useable sounds for a greater number of situations. If I ever get a Big Al, the "sword" might have reason to get nervous.

Boogie.Man

A little disappointed

I have a "Japanese sword" made by the same company that made your "sports car" and I must agree...both fine instruments, to be sure...but my Bongo just has more useable sounds for a greater number of situations. If I ever get a Big Al, the "sword" might have reason to get nervous.

I have to say that I have a slight let down after my initial excitement. I mean its quality is great, it looks beautiful, and it cost me less than a new MIM bass. But my Sterling and StingRays have the same attributes but they sound better to me. Perhaps I'm just used to the sound of a Music Man and it feels more normal. I'm now finding that my favorite bass is my SLO Special. Tomorrow, it will probably be something else.

The Big Al didn't ring my bell until I saw a picture of a white one. I liked it.

bass-slinger

I actually traded in a 5-er by the same company (which was significantly more expensive) to get the Bongo...

Stephen

Just a thought: Germany is literally stuffed with boutique bass builders and a couple of companies shelling out nice to excellent instruments on an industrial level. They are not even that expensive - as a matter of fact you can order (and get) a custom-everything bass hand built in Germany by a master luthier for about the same price as a stock Bongo or Big Al ...

And yet there are crowds of Krauts (pun totally intended) hanging out here. I guess this tells something. Really.

:)

bovinehost

Administrator
:confused: :D

Porsche is one of the owner of Volkswagen but none of them designed the Bongo. It was a BMW design (asfareasiknow)...

The initial design was a joint venture between BP and the BMW Design Group, which has a mandate to design non-automotive stuff every now and then to keep them fresh.

Boogie.Man

You right .. Me wrong!

:confused: :D

Porsche is one of the owner of Volkswagen but none of them designed the Bongo. It was a BMW design (asfareasiknow)...

Well at least I had the right country. I was confusing the two German automakers. Porsche does design a series of really nice pens and pencils. The body of the pens are made out of stainless woven brake line (or something similar) that Porsche uses in the cars. They are really cool, but kind of pricey. They have another series made out of machined aluminum. I think Faber Castelle makes them under license for Porsche.

Last edited:

rhythmCity944

Well at least I had the right country. I was confusing the two German automakers. Porsche does design a series of really nice pens and pencils. The body of the pens are made out of stainless woven brake line (or something similar) that Porsche uses in the cars. They are really cool, but kind of pricey. They have another series made out of machined aluminum. I think Faber Castelle makes them under license for Porsche.

Well I have Audi and VW parts on my old 944 if that confuses things more

Don't forget the apparel...there is a real nice brown leather jacket offered by Porsche...but I cannot fathom dropping almost a grand on a leather jacket right now when it's 80 degrees outside...

It's still hard for me to picture a stingray made out of more exotic woods like the german brand...the all rosewood neck option a while back was a pretty sweet twist though

kevins

doesnt fender make a bass called a pinto? i mean of all the cars you can name it after....the one that has doors that jar locked and a gas tank that explodes when its rear ended in crashes exceeding 15mph lol

Top Bottom