• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

faceman

I've purchased a late pre-EB StingRay from a friend of mine and I love it. I paid around £750 for it, which some say is expensive but I love the neck, feel and tone of this. It's unlike the standard EB ones I have played and miles better than my old SUB.

Anyway, it is a bit of a frankenbass, with a Sabre neck and a non-original bridge. The neck is sublime so I won't be looking to replace that but I would like to try and get hold of the bridge.

Since the body is from an '83, it's a string-through, not through-body and I was wondering if I could get hold of one from the new classic series? Would this fit the body? Photo is attached, any thoughts on what this bridge is? Either way, it's too big for the standard black MM pickguard I purchased :) I assumed all the pick guards as the same but they may not be. Or it's the bridge as I suspect.

Grand Wazoo

Sadly, Ernie Ball do not sell spares, unless they are being replaced under warranty with a faulty one and that means you would have to send them the original back and swap like for like, so no luck there.

The bridge you've got there looks like someone has welded a shaller bridge onto an oval looking plate, remotely reminescent of the Sabre bridge look, if you click on this link you will see what the original brdiges used to look like. BRIDGES - Musicmanbass.org, Music Man, Musicman, Music Man Bass, Musicman Bass, Music Man Guitar

So in conclusion you will have to source an aftermarket bridge if you are not happy with what you've got because EBMM won't let you have one.

The closest thing I have seen is this: Amazon.com: MUSICMAN® STYLE BASS BRIDGE: Musical Instruments

faceman

I thought the classic series are both so wouldn't this still work? I didn't know buying spare parts was such a problem, I've emailed EB Customer Service either way. If I could find something with mutes (so up to around 1991), I'd be happy with that.

Don't really want a third party one :)

Caca de Kick

faceman said:
I thought the classic series are both so wouldn't this still work?

No they're only thru-body stringing.

The thru-body bridges only have two screws holding it to the body, since the strings don't have any pulling-up force.

The top load bridges have five screws holding them down. The EB Classic bridge also has offset saddle alignment, where your 83 had the center alignment saddles. Really you need to find a 81-92 bridge on the used market from a parted-out bass.

rhythmCity944

your best best would be to keep an eye on ebay or craigslist for loose musicman parts. I see bridges every now and then.

trunkshope6

im also on the lookout for a musicman bridge to complete a 77 restoration project i have going on , pretty much have everything other than a bridge.

vates

Okay, I'll revive this thread but from a different angle. My '83 is all-stock, alright. But the angle on the saddle, typical to this kind of bridges is an OCD-nightmare. Are there any drop-in replacements (non-MM are fine) that would fix this issue? Thanks.

And btw, everything works fine: I understand, the problem is in looks only :)

UPD: I've attached a picture for better understanding:
"Due to the string anchor holes being located to the left of the intonation screws and the string grooves remaining centred on the saddles, the strings form an angle from their anchor point to the saddles."
B9.jpg

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Get some felt and cover up the strings behind the bridge. Problem solved.

I am definitely OCD, but also lazy, and that is what I would do.

vates

A brilliant advice :)

Okay, will the current standard EBMM bridge fit? It does have a 3-point + 2 studs mounting pattern: is it identical?

Top Bottom