• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JayDawg

Hey all here is an odd question. Recently I switched over and have now been using Ernie Ball strings. Four my four string basses, I use the Super Slinky's in the pink package because they have the same string gauge my basses came with from the factory. .045/.065/.080/.100. Now if I want to go with the same string gauge for my 5 string bass, the only option I see is the green package Regular Slinky. It has the same gauge as shown above except the "B" string is .130 but that is also the factory string gauge too. If I went with a Super Slinky in the 5 string, it would be a different gauge. So what is the difference between Super Slinky and Regular Slinky?

Potatohead

Are the Super Slinkies for the 5 string thinner than the Regular Slinkies? I would assume they are otherwise the name makes no sense. So, it looks as if they have just named them according to whether they are for 4 or 5 string. It doesn't follow the same pattern as the 6/7 string guitar sets, so you're right the naming is a little funny, but the gauges are what is important.

JayDawg

The gauge is the same on the 5 string regular as it is on the 4 string super but if I went with a 5 string super slinky the gauge would be different. It is kind of confusing so it made wonder if other than the gauge size, if there was any other difference in the strings.

Potatohead

It is kind of confusing so it made wonder if other than the gauge size, if there was any other difference in the strings.

No, the gauge is what matters. If you buy a .045 in a super slinky pack, regular slinky pack, or as a single, it's all the same string.

Top Bottom