• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

StoneGroove

I occasionally use drop d tuning on a Shecter C-1 guitar without a tremolo. I have been using the regular Slinky strings for a while but I am having a heck of a tim e adjusting the inotnation when using Drop C tuning. My whole guitar is tuned down a whole step. Are there any strings that would be best to use for this setup? Thanks in advance.

dlloyd

StoneGroove said:
I occasionally use drop d tuning on a Shecter C-1 guitar without a tremolo. I have been using the regular Slinky strings for a while but I am having a heck of a tim e adjusting the inotnation when using Drop C tuning. My whole guitar is tuned down a whole step. Are there any strings that would be best to use for this setup? Thanks in advance.

A fairly good rule of thumb is to increase a gauge for each semitone you detune. Tuning the strings down a whole step you'd want to go up from say, .009s to .011s or if you were used to .010s go up to .012s. Try the Beefy Slinkies or Not Even Slinkies.

StoneGroove

What about the low string?

Does that mean that I should get a string that is 3 guages higher for the low E string so that it can be used for D and Drop C?

dlloyd

StoneGroove said:
Does that mean that I should get a string that is 3 guages higher for the low E string so that it can be used for D and Drop C?

Ideally 2 higher for the D or 4 higher for the C.

Glassmoon

I use not even slinkies for C tuning. it is a great set for that tuning and I think it's really the perfect gauge. you can go one set heavier for b tuning if you do that, I guess. it's all preference, of course, but I can see why these sets were designed in the first place...great combo of heavy tone, tension and slinky-ness. :)

basically, I had one of my guitars tuned down a half step and set up perfectly...I slapped on the not even slinkies and tuned the guitar down to C and had to make no adjustments at all, it remained the same tension-wise, even after several months...fwiw.

ibanezsa102

Preferences

Is there anything you need to change on your guitar to accommodate for the higher tension and thicker strings?

Jodizzle

After switching gauge sizes, you will most likely need to reset the intonation on your geetar

guitar_guy12

To me for that kind of tuning I was and still use Skinny top Heavy botom .011 on .052 or a set of regular slinky of .010 on .046.

But the best thing to do is choose any set other than super slinky ( .009 on .042) and you pick the best out of them.

Hope it helps.!

Last edited:
Top Bottom