• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty89

Ok, so I just bought a second hand stingray 5 with HH, production date 2007.

It was in rather poor condition so I cleaned it up as I do with any bass I buy, however the input jack was buggered, so I replaced it and now the bass is not working.

I need a wiring diagram (or advice) on how the original Musicman jacks are configured.

I tried getting an idea from the original before I disconnected it, however it was impossible to see what's going on in there with the black plastic casing still on it. I was also unable to get the Digital Multimeter in there to trace the connections to the wires.

I had a spare switchcraft-style stereo jack from when I previously purchased some EMG's - so as it were brand new and a quality piece, I decided to wire that in there.

As far as I could tell, it was just a simple active bass wiring:
Black - ground, to sleeve connection on cable.
Red - switch for active, to ring connection on cable.
White - signal, to tip connection on cable.

After wiring this like so, it now does not work, and the battery gets rather hot when in the bass... (I've removed it so not to cause any more problems, until I can test again.)

I have seen the SR5 wiring diagram that the manufacturer hands around, and while it explains everything great from the switch to pickups, to the preamp - it does not explain at all the output jack. All i can tell is that all the black wires (grounds) are connected together. It does not explain which wires connect to what parts of the output cable.

The two red wires on the diagram however do not look to be connected, so;

Does the original MM jack have 4 connectors? (1 black, 1 white, 2 red)
or is it really just a stereo output jack, like any other active bass?

Also, how low may the voltage be before the bass stops working? My 9v battery is now at only 8.2volts, I think that a short has occurred which has drained it a bit.

Thanks in advance!

Aussie Mark

Scott, this should cove the jack wiring ....

N_SR4._Newer_3EQ.jpg

scotty89

That's the one I was talking about - it does not explain at all the connections on the jack. All we can see is that all the black wires are connected, the white, and the 2 red are not connected to each other. We also are not shown which wires connect to which terminals on a stereo jack.

Can you tel me where the 2 red wires are supposed to connect to, if the black is the sleeve, and the white is the tip? If there are supposedly two connections for 2 red wires, and there is only 1 ring connection on the jack... what do I do?

Thanks for the fast response though :)

scotty89

Yea that's what I've got wired at the moment without success.

The musicman jack had 4 terminals;

All grounds, black, to sleeve,
Signal, white, to tip,

and then 2 red wires, one from the battery box, the other from the preamp - I assumed that these would be fine to connect together and wire to the Ring connection, however the MM wiring diagram suggests otherwise, as they are not illustrated as being connected. However it does not say where they should go anyway...

What I want to know is, where are the 2 red wires to be connected to?? I understand that on an active bass a wire is usually connected to the ring terminal to use for switching the preamp on and off... BUT which one is it on the SR5???

I'm guessing it cant be the red wire from the battery box because that means that the battery will short as soon as the cable is plugged in, (meaning positive is directly shorted to the negative on the battery) which would explain why the battery gets hot... but if I don't connect this, then where does it go????

Rod Trussbroken

The jack you need is not a garden-variety item but rather one that EB specifically uses on their instruments. If the battery is getting hot then this means you have a short circuit. I would disconnect the battery immediately before you damage the pre-amp and email EB Customer Service for advice ASAP.

Last edited:

scotty89

I have disconnected the battery.

Can anyone tell me where the +'ve wire from the battery is connected to???? the Schematics do not explain where the connection goes.

If it connects to the ring terminal, then when a mono audio cable is plugged in, the sleeve will connect the ring and ground. This means that the +'ve and -'ve of the battery box are being bridged before the preamp. This obviously is not how it is supposed to be...

scotty89

Ok, looking at various older schematics - it looks as though the Red wires do not connect to the cable at all. They are in the jack, and as the cable is inserted, it presses a plastic piece which then connects the two red wires (like a mechanical relay switch). This means that the red wires do not connect to the cable at all.

So as it appears, MM has wired the White to tip (signal), black to sleeve (ground), and the two red wires are normally open, and then closed when a cable is inserted by means of a switch which is insulated by a plastic piece.

So, I should be fine to remove the red wires from the jack, connect them directly, then connect the -'ve wire from the battery box to the ring terminal. This would mean that the switching occurs from the -'ve side of the battery, rather than the +'ve side.

I'll report back when I've re wired with my own plans. Maybe I'll have fixed my own problem.

scotty89

Fixed.

So... what I don't understand is why the manufacturers wired it that way... the only reason I can think is to confuse techs/customers who try to repair it themselves, so that they have to send their guitars back to EB....

Rod Trussbroken

Fixed.

So... what I don't understand is why the manufacturers wired it that way... the only reason I can think is to confuse techs/customers who try to repair it themselves, so that they have to send their guitars back to EB....

Further from the truth! It's to prevent shorts (and possibly zapp your pre-amp) when you either insert or extract the guitar lead jack.

Thread Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom