• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jscomposer

I got a Warmoth neck on the way (don't shoot me :eek:), and according to their website it's "dipped in an oil based penetrating sealer which is compatible with virtually all secondary finishes.... We strongly recommend you apply a hard finish." The rep on the phone told me I could apply gunstock oil to make a hard finish and extend their warranty. I did some research on it which led me to Ernie Ball's FAQs, and here. ;)

So I'm wondering, if they already applied an oil-based sealer, wouldn't I need to apply gunstock wax to make a hard finish? Could I or should I skip the gunstock oil if they already applied oil-based sealer?

Spudmurphy

Apply the oil - wipe it on with a paper towel - leave for as long as it takes you to tear off another piece of towel (not long!!) and wipe off. Don't apply too much and don't leave it on for a long period (trust me on this - I did and it went "gloopy".)

Same application with the wax.

Jack FFR1846

Gunstock oil is a finish. EBMM uses Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil.

Once that's cured, any carnauba wax can be applied.

If the neck already has a finish, you might want to remove that first, if you are looking for a "bare wood" feel.

Picture of the Musicman guitar you're putting this neck on???

azazael

Gunstock oil is a finish. EBMM uses Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil.

Once that's cured, any carnauba wax can be applied.

If the neck already has a finish, you might want to remove that first, if you are looking for a "bare wood" feel.

Picture of the Musicman guitar you're putting this neck on???

It'll be a strat.

jscomposer

LOL. If I could afford a JP7, I'd get one.

I don't think I'll bother removing the sealer that Warmoth applies. So should I just apply the Birchwood Casey gun stock wax I got? FWIW, I'm not fussy about bare wood feel vs glossy feel. I've played both types of finishes and don't have a preference.

azazael

If it is anything like my Musikraft necks (better than Warmoth for future reference) then it will have what is known as Shellac on it. It will have a sort of satin feel.
You can remove this easily with chemicals.
Then you can do what you want.

Jack FFR1846

LOL. If I could afford a JP7, I'd get one.

I don't think I'll bother removing the sealer that Warmoth applies. So should I just apply the Birchwood Casey gun stock wax I got? FWIW, I'm not fussy about bare wood feel vs glossy feel. I've played both types of finishes and don't have a preference.

First you do the tru oil (gunstock oil) and then after it cures, you put on the wax.

Even if you don't remove the existing finish, it will hurt nothing. Oil on a paper towel....wipe on. Wait 45 seconds, wipe off. Wait a few minutes, repeat. Wait a week, wax.

Slowlicks

If it is anything like my Musikraft necks (better than Warmoth for future reference) then it will have what is known as Shellac on it. It will have a sort of satin feel.
You can remove this easily with chemicals.
Then you can do what you want.

Okay az, This is the olive branch. Tell us why a Musikcraft neck is better than Warmoth.

Last edited:

kbaim

on one of my music man guitars i used KLASSE car wax. its a german product and always makes my car look great (using it since the early 80's) so i gave it a shot on a guitar neck that needed a new waxing.

Worked great but im not even sure if i shoulda used it on wood as its not carnuba...but its lasted more than 2 years now with lots of playing time.

jamminjim

My Musikraft neck came nude - and not all of them come with shellac, it's up to the buyer. Shellac can be removed with denatured alcohol and the process can be helped along with some 400 grit sandpaper.
I lightly tinted mine and then shot gloss clear lacquer on the headstock and tru-oiled and waxed the rest of it ala EBMM.

Top Bottom