• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

bovinehost

Administrator
I’m going to paraphrase and outright steal from some of the things Sterling said to the moderators, but I also will add a bit of my own outlook, having been around since pterodactyls darkened the Texas skies.

We have to tighten up control on the forum. Secondary responsibility for that falls on us, the mods and admins, but it will of course primarily be the members’ responsibility to control things. In other words, don’t make a mess and we won’t have to clean it up!

Sterling: “Familiarity and comfort can lead to forgetting that this is a corporate forum. Your comments ultimately reflect on our company and not the offending poster.”

There is nothing inherently wrong with familiarity and comfort, of course. Many of us have met or know each other in real life and so on. As an example, I am friends with Sterling and his family and many of the EBMM employees, but this doesn’t give me carte blanche to answer questions that are better answered by, say, Dudley or Dargin or Sterling. If after all these years, I still think carefully about how to approach a given subject, I don’t think it’s too much to ask you guys to do the same.

Sterling: “The forum started with no rules. Period. Every rule and change has been made necessary by people who get crazy. We are just going to delete posts that don’t work.” And please, don’t PM me or anyone else about your First Amendment rights. If you don’t know by now that I hate deleting things, you know it now. But delete it I will, and the only person I have to defend it to is BP.

Some things should be obvious but are not, so I’ll be as clear as possible.

1. Sterling: “Any threads that contain negative criticism of other players will immediately be deleted.“ I can’t imagine there would be any question about this. No one expects you to absolutely love every new band you hear, but “Wow, these guys suck” is simply unnecessary. If you don’t like it, don’t comment. Negative response is not an option. And this isn’t just about EBMM artists. Everyone in the music business is working hard to do the best they can. Let’s respect our fellow musicians even if what they do isn’t our cup of tea.

2. Sterling: “Posts containing politics, race, creed, sexual orientation, and country of origin will also be deleted.” He reserves the right to make English dental jokes.

3. Sterling: “Sexual innuendos are out.” Every time a female member joins up or Kevin or Derek post a pic of a female endorsee, I can tell you that a few of us hold our breath, waiting for the junior high sexual commentary. We’re seldom disappointed. Yes, the female endorsees do check the forum and yes, they are offended. Treat them like you want your daughters/sisters to be treated and let’s put an end to it without moderation. PLEASE.

If the mods get three PMs about a particular member being “rude, abrupt, combative, or terminally negative”, we will contact the offending party and let them know that they are not making a positive contribution here. The offender will be on double secret probation. Any further trouble and the account will be terminated. And yes, we DO get PMs about certain obvious troublemakers, although as a bassist I’m relieved to say it’s mostly on the guitar side. But not always.

My take is that all of this should be common sense and usually is. The vast majority of you guys are positive, contributing members and I don’t want you to feel as if everyone is being painted with the same broad stroke. Not the case at all. A few – a very few – bad apples really can spoil the whole barrel. I have lived through and dealt with a case or two of this on the forum and it’s just no fun for anyone involved, especially the good guys.

So just tighten it up a bit if you need to, please. I thank you on behalf of Sterling and all the moderators. And as the boss said, “It sounds like a bummer but I think that the vast majority will appreciate the more positive friendly environment.”

Last edited by a moderator:

threeminutesboy

Thumbs up

Still love this place. Those rules have to exist as the forum is getting more and more popular

Smellybum

Phew - english dental is stil in !

Seriously though great to see a solid stance on this, I've found the last few weeks a little uncomfortable and posted less as a result, with the rules in place people know what is and isn't acceptable - and we can all have fun.

Thanks to BP & The mods for your wisdom and guidance.

phantomzer0

I don't know if you guys do it or not, but maybe you can start handing out infractions to people who just don't get it. I run a decent sized forum, ltxtech.com and I am a super mod at ls1tech.com (100k + members) and you just come to a realization that some people just don't care. Verbally slapping the wrists on an internet forum doesn't take you anywhere. Toss some infractions out to people that are obviously being out of line and before you know it they've earned themselves a one way ticket to ban-land. Then you aren't out-right banning people and you are also giving people a chance.

I've been here for a few years now and lately I completely agree with BP that some users and comments are completely overboard and out of line. I'm not trying to arm chair mod, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to do their job, I'm just trying to offer some support from my experiences. Those comments are really deteriorating the quality that this forum is known for, and as Sterling said, hurting the brand not the fanbase.

Either way, great read and definitely some excellent words of wisdom there. I just hope people can understand them and get some of these threads back to the excellent quality that this forum is known for.

beej

We're just going to take the bull by the horns. Posts in poor taste will be deleted. Users that don't get it will be removed.

We just want this place to be a good hang. Fun and respectful.

When in doubt just think "... if Sterling invited me over for dinner, would I really say that out loud?" Remember who's house we're all in.

peterd79

We're just going to take the bull by the horns. Posts in poor taste will be deleted. Users that don't get it will be removed.

We just want this place to be a good hang. Fun and respectful.

When in doubt just think "... if Sterling invited me over for dinner, would I really say that out loud?" Remember who's house we're all in.

i've spoke with a few friends from the forum privately off the eb site and explaied my silence and distance from the forum the last few weeks... but hope to be back and at 'em here shortly with the new rules in place. Thanks guys!

PugNinjas

Great post and comments, I agree that it has been somewhat difficult around here. I took advantage of the lovely 'ignore list' feature so at least when I'm logged in I don't have to deal with the garbage :rolleyes:

Sweat

OK, my 2 cents, yea it is time, this is not the same place as it was before, seems over the last 4 to 5 months, lots of negativity and posts that have no purpose. I hope this changes quickly and we can get back to what matters, EBMM.

Really dont need to come to a site full of venom, especially as I am making lots of life changes, need the fun positive stuff again and Oh, lots of NGD threads, best stuff or NBD for my large string friends.

Rant over, back to normal programming.:)

paranoid70

I see where you are coming from, but compared to the other forums I visit, this is BY FAR the most friendly and easy going.

rdacey72

Sounds good to me. Aside from the fact that we all love EBMM guitars, don't we come to this forum to be treated with respect?

There's enough negativity on the "outside world"...:eek:

lumberjack

I, for one, am glad the clamp is being tightened a bit. I know there are a few guys on here that haven't been around as much because of some of the B.S. that's gone on in the past few months. We've got a great thing going on here. I don't want to lose what we have. And I don't want to lose a bunch of good forum members cause some crap-disturbers seem to be causing most of the trouble. Hopefully, things can get back to normal.:)

Coffeemug

I absolutely concur with all of the above...!

The friendly and fun atmosphere really is what makes this place worth spending time visiting...I really do not want to "invest" any of my spare time into something that is not worthwhile and this forum has been a fun daily routine ever since I joined (and it made me appreciate the company and instruments even more). It is unique how much effort and time is being put into this forum by BP and crew and how we get to kinda participate and have insightful great information and stories...you can learn something new everyday and I sincerely hope it'll stay such a great place!

I too noticed that the tenor changed a bit over the last couple of months and even though it is still a great place and quite polite in comparison to other forums I'm one of those (many many!) users who come here to share and collect information in a friendly environment. I make a living out of dealing with other people's hassle and I most certainly don't need that here as well...!

Yes, it might be a little bit of "preaching to the choir" but I'm sure everyone gets the drift...it can't be all too hard getting yourself together and try to make this place a little bit better...I mean...if one invests all this time typing offensive stuff he surely has enough time reading through it before posting...so there are no excuses as most of the trouble is being created on purpose...everyone has a bad day once in a while but we all should use the forum to get over it and hang around a bunch of like-minded spirits instead of taking all the bulls*** to the forums.

It's not too much asking for politeness and respect...should be common sense (not only here on the forums).

Last edited:

Dante

Cool.

However, I wonder if for the people reading this thread it's kind of like preaching to the choir.

it's like pointing ppl in the direction of CS, we'll just politely point trolls in this direction.

actually some of the stuff being flung around has me being more of a lurker than an active member, even tho i'm back every thirty minutes.

EDIT: are we still allowed to fight in threads about EBMM making pointy guitars? :D

EDIT: and please say "welcome to the forum!" when you tell someone to contact CS, okay? OKAY?

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Cool.

However, I wonder if for the people reading this thread it's kind of like preaching to the choir.
\
Rob buddy this is sort of an example of how things start to go bad then there is a whole discussion over whats bad. we have restated our rules. Period. If its preaching to the choir so be it. It is a written notification that can be referred back to in the event of an issue. Everyone has sort of morphed into a mind set of subtle critique. This post is a perfect example...In the old days Rob you would have stopped at Cool....

See when we restate our rules it gets second guessed. No biggie just making a point. Lets get back to good healthy stuff like talking about all of you knuckleheads next guitars!

Last edited:

bovinehost

Administrator
most of the trouble is being created on purpose

I think this is exactly correct. And who has time for that kind of garbage? While I don't hang much on the guitar side (thank the deity of your choice for Beej), we do talk amongst us. Not much of a mystery that much of the trouble comes from a very few people, so those very few can read this and heed this or - not. But they're not going to poop on every thread anymore. It's about fun, and fun isn't smelling their waste.

peterd79

they're not going to poop on every thread anymore. It's about fun, and fun isn't smelling their waste.

this post goes to 11...

thanks guys! Bring on the good 'ol day of yesterday... for some reason that sounds like it could be or was a song...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom