• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

simplesimon

I am not getting it! I have looked at the schematic for the switching system on the Morse and am still not sure how this works. If anyone has an understanding, please help.

dwf1004

Did a little studying of the diagram, and at first it IS a little confusing, but after looking at it, I wrote you a "little" breakdown, with a few examples of switching to kinda break you in with the switch purposes/ways, etc. Buckle up, here we go! :)

----------------------------------------

You'll want your guitar in playing position at this point.

Let's look at the right toggle first. The right toggle is pretty much the "on/off" switch for the two others, which we'll talk about. The toggle positions operate as follows:

Up: Slant pickup only
Middle: Slant pickup, PLUS settings that left toggle and 3-way switch are set to (covered in a moment)
Down: NO SLANT, settings that left toggle and 3-way switch are set to (covered in a moment)

EXAMPLE: Put the 3-way switch all the way to the left, and put both toggles up. The only pickup active now is the slant pickup.

Now, put the right toggle to the middle position. Both the straight and single are active now. If you were to push down the left toggle, this would also turn on the bridge humbucker as well.

Put the right toggle all the way down. Only the straight single is active. If you were to push down the left toggle, this would also turn on the bridge humbucker as well.

-----

The 3 way switch in the middle only controls 3 pickups, and that's all it does. Looking at your guitar (still in playing position), the 3-way switch left to right covers the following:

Left: Straight single coil
Middle: Neck Humbucker
Right: Bridge Humbucker

The left toggle only turns the bridge humbucker on (down) and off (up).

EXAMPLE: Put the left toggle up, the right toggle all the way down, and the 3-way switch all the way to the left. You are using only the straight single coil.

Now, push the left toggle down. You are now using the single coil AND the bridge humbucker. Pulling the left toggle up turns off the bridge humbucker, and you're back to only the straight single. (NOTE: If you have the 3-way switch all the way to the right, that should invalidate the toggle, since that position on the 3-way switch turns on that pickup anyway!)

Finally, with the settings mentioned above, put the right toggle at middle position. If the left toggle is DOWN, you're using the slant and straight singles, along with the bridge humbucker. If the left toggle is UP, you're only using the straight and slant singles. Moving the right toggle up one more, as we talked about before, turns everything off except for the slant single.

-----

Please tell me that helped, because I ain't going into anymore of it. :D Seriously, if you experiment with it a little, you'll get the hang of it. I hope my breakdown and examples give you an idea of what you can do with that bad axe. Good luck!

Darrell

simplesimon

I feel kinda guilty expecting someone to go trough all that. Yes, it did help. All I had was the schematic from the website. It made sense on about 90% of it, but the right toggle had me boggled. I understand now. Thanks alot and I am off to play!

dwf1004

Heh...don't feel guilty. It was late and I was bored. I saw your post, and pulled up the schematic for it. I was intrigued (and a bit confused myself) about how it worked, so I typed it up, and it started clicking for me too as I put it together.

So, look at it as a learning tool for the both of us, as well as anyone else that needs it down the line. It helped me just the same. On this forum, I'd say that we all will do what we can tho help out our fellow Baller's. I would have done the same for anyone else, so don't think you're special. ;)

Seriously, like I said, play around with the combos a bit, and you'll get it in no time. :)

Darrell

Top Bottom