• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

biggestmuff

Ever since I found out that the Tobacco Burst and Walnut Burst finishes were discontinued, I had to find one. I finally found one with you beautiful quilt top and bought it today (ships tomorrow).

Anyone tune their JP6 BFR to C standard and have any tips to share on how to setup the guitar? Anyone have to add a spring to the trem claw?

I'm also curious about filing the nut to make access for the larger gauge strings.

I've been using .013 - .056 on a C standard tuned Les Paul and really like the sound.

I see, from the gear page on John's site, that he is using .012 - .054. Maybe I'll try those.

You think the nut will need to be filed for the .054 or .056?

To stay relevant to my tags; my wife and I just got back from Famous Dave's. :D

biggestmuff

I also posted this question over at John Petrucci's forum and Maddi, John's guitar tech, dropped by to answer the question. Here's his response from that thread:

Hey Todd,
Here is how JP's 'C' tuning guitar is set up.
String Gauges Low to High: 54/46/32/18/15/11 This is a custom set. A standard set of 11's or 12's should work just fine.
Tuning is: C/F/A#/D#/G/C

As with all of the other guitars, make sure the radius is set on the bridge saddles. Radius on a JP guitar is 15"
I would say a god starting point for the Low C string is about 3/32" from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string. Set the High C to about 2/32".
Once that is done, set the radius going across the saddles.
Make sure the neck is straight too. That should get you in the ballpark.
You will also have to loosen the tremelo spring claw in the back of the guitar to get the bridge to come back flush with the top. That is the one adjustment that will take some time, but once it is set, you should not have to change it. Also, Once that is done, reset the intonation of the bridge saddles. If the note is flat, move the saddle forward, if sharp, move it back. Always recheck tuning, and then recheck intonation. I check it by hitting 12th fret harmonic, then fretting the string at the 12th fret. If it is way out, you will hear the difference in pitch.
As for the nut, one quick way to widen the slots if you don't have special nut files is the use the bit of string you cut off from the locking tuners and use it as a file. Just run it through the corresponding slot to make it bigger. Go slow so you don't make the slot deeper, just wider.
For me, this setup should take about an hour. If you are not comfortable in doing this work on your own, take it to a qualified repair tech.
Hope that helps you guys out.
Thanks for all the questions.
Maddi

ShorterOnVenus

The whole using a string to widen the slot thing, I do that sometimes, makes me feel better to hear approval from the mouth (keyboard) of JP's tech. On that note will there be any issues with the low C .056 fitting in the post hole of the tuner, my Sperzels got really tight at that diameter on another guitar. I wouldn't think so, but couldn't hurt to ask like are the tuners modified on the BARI or the 7 stringers? (sorry to hijack)

knguro

Woow what a better answer that the one given by the man's tech himself. Heheheh

biggestmuff

The whole using a string to widen the slot thing, I do that sometimes, makes me feel better to hear approval from the mouth (keyboard) of JP's tech. On that note will there be any issues with the low C .056 fitting in the post hole of the tuner, my Sperzels got really tight at that diameter on another guitar. I wouldn't think so, but couldn't hurt to ask like are the tuners modified on the BARI or the 7 stringers? (sorry to hijack)

Not a hijack. Maddi read your question and wanted someone to post his answer as he doesn't have an account here.

Just a quick note if someone here can help me out.
There was a question posted on the EBMM forum regarding this post here about if the .056 string will fit through the locking post on the EBMM guitars.
I does, but you nee to make sure the locking pin inside the tuner is going all the way down. Get a metal dental pick or something like that to make sure the pin is not stuck and the string should go through fine. On the baritone guitars, I am in the 60's for the low strings and they go in.

Could someone copy this and post it over there? I am not signed up over there.
I will get the string gauges up later tonight.
Maddi

The last bit is in reference to him being asked about the most recent string gauges that JP has been using. The 'gear' section of JP's site is a little out of date so Maddi has to find his notes and will post the information later today.

redeleon

the very thing hat I did on my JP50 was I added a WD tremolo stabilizer..
I can drop tune easily and still can use my trem at the same time.. (without any setup etc. when changing tunings)

ShorterOnVenus

Thank you Biggestmuff, and thank you to Maddi, funny thing about those little pins is that they get stuck frequently in my other locking tuners, & can't get the wound string's in or out. so after I wrestle em' out I sometimes shoot the tuner hole with a little WD-40 [careful not to get any on my finish], and give a light smack to the tuner till the pin drops, I have not encountered this Issue with my EBMM's but I have on an American strat with locking Schallers, I guess even the pins on my Balls are better engineered!

Top Bottom