• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bigou

Last week I bought four 9 volts batteries and I try each one in my Stingray. None of the 4 have enough power so my Stingray sounds really thin. I put my old one and everuthing was OK. I bought standard Energizer batteries. efore that it was a Duracell in it.

What do you put in your Stingray? Wich one seems to works the best?

Steamthief

I haven't tried anything but Duracell. Hope you saved your receipt, sounds like you bought a bad batch of batteries.

bigou

I test my batteries with the multimeter and everything works fine. I think I will stick with duracell to. That's what I have right noe in my Stingray.

bigou

+1

Sounds like the OP may have put them in the wrong way around, so the "thin" sound he was hearing was actually a very low "passive" signal.

I put the battery in the good way (I think) but none of the 4 batteries works. I will try again tonight to see if I do something wrong.

MattOfSweden

I put the battery in the good way (I think) but none of the 4 batteries works. I will try again tonight to see if I do something wrong.
Perhaps you got all four batteries from a bad batch. I've used IKEA batteries (hey I'm Swedish) the last couple of years with no worries, but just the other week when I changed batteries two of my basses went crazy. One started to hiss and the other one started making pulsating sounds - after reading this thread I switched to Duracell and all is fine.

Duracell is 2.5 times as expensive, but it's with many things - buy quality, cry once. (Trat said I'd expect the Energizer brand to have a better QC than the IKEA supplier).

Come to think of it I've noted that the preamps in my 20th and 30th anni SR4's respond a bit differently. Have to put Duracell in them as well and see what happens.

Rano Bass

Duracell is 2.5 times as expensive, but it's with many things - buy quality, cry once. (Trat said I'd expect the Energizer brand to have a better QC than the IKEA supplier).

Come to think of it I've noted that the preamps in my 20th and 30th anni SR4's respond a bit differently. Have to put Duracell in them as well and see what happens.

If we can afford an expensive bass, we can buy quality batteries.
These basses come stock with duracell for a reason.
IMO of course.

MattOfSweden

If we can afford an expensive bass, we can buy quality batteries.
These basses come stock with duracell for a reason.
IMO of course.
Couldn't agree more after my recent experiences, just always thought of batteries as "just" batteries, and never had any bad experiences until now.

bob atherton

I always use Duracells, but I too got some pulsating noises through the amp about a year ago. I took the battery out and replaced it again, exatctly the same way round, and it was fine. This would have got me seriously freaked out if this happened at a gig I must admit.

bigou

I bought a pack of 2 duracell. Does not work. I try 4 pack of 2 9 volts batteries without success. I have 2 Energizer that work for now but what can I do when they die!!!! It seems that every 9 volts I buy did not work. Did I have a problem with my pre???

dedmouse

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all 9 volt batteries are the same size either. A few years back,I was running into a problem on one of my other active basses where the sound would occasionally drop out...it turned out that it was the battery I had just put in was a shorter battery then the one the had been in there before and it wasn't shorter by much.

The little spring contacts in the bottom of the battery box weren't making full contact with the new battery's contacts as they had done in the previous battery (I swapped them to make sure the old one still worked and it did).

MusicMan uses the same setup as the other bass, that is, the flip out battery box...if those contacts get pushed down by a longer battery and then you put a shorter 9 volt in there, it could conceivably cause an intermittent contact situation.

There is something to be said for the push on snap on battery terminals as much as a pain as they can be sometimes...there is at least surety that the contact is there when it is applied.

I ended up by removing the battery box in my other bass and retensioning the little brass/bronze spring terminals and it worked fine after that...

Just something to be aware of....

fly

had the same prob as dedmouse........did the same thing too.......and i now use any cheap battery from London Drugs.......the Duracells were always giving me problems,since i fixed the battery box and started buying 'el cheapos........no probs now.

danny-79

A 9v battery is a 9v battery.

Regardless of the brand name the outside dimensions are the same.

The battery box is designed so that the battery will only fit one way, (the correct way) so if you have to force the battery in then the odds are its the wrong way around.

I had to replace the battery compartment on one of my Stingrays a while ago because through general ware and tear one of the wires had broken off one of the terminals (through opening an closing it).

Soldering the wire back on to the terminal proved to be tricky as i wasn't able to remove the terminal from its plastic casing resulting in heat being applied to plastic, plastic warping, contacts not meeting.

As i found out the battery compartment its self is just as universal fitting as the battery's are them self.
Gotoh Battery Box for Electric Guitar Single - eBay (item 130429825472 end time Nov-07-10 19:55:32 PST)
Gotoh Battery Box for Electric Guitar Double - eBay (item 150512678150 end time Nov-27-10 11:03:52 PST)

Top Bottom