• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Gio_Force_One

i have an old marshall cab that has 25 watt green backs in it, 2 are blown now and was wondering if i should replace them. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with eminence speakers. i would like to redo the whole cab , the 2 remaining speakers are almost gone too. so not sure if i should stick to celestions which are more expensive or go with eminence which are not so expensive. please i could use some help on this. thanks guys

peterd79

I've used the eminence speakers in a 210 cab i had built... kinda regret selling that one too...

i used the lil buddy speakers and they were great... very similar to Tone Tubby speakers at a fraction of the cost...

can't say enough good things about the quality of the products.

Gio_Force_One

I was looking at the eminence legend speakers ,and the governor looked promising. but still not sure what to put in this cab.

Gio_Force_One

If you still want to keep the Greenback tone, why not recone? Weber offers this service for $65/speaker. WeberVST Recone Input Form

That's way cheaper than you can buy a new Eminence or Celestion, and you can keep your cab original. Just a thought.

great thought i will look into it, i wasnt going to do that around here cause the only guy that does takes about 6 months to get things done and is expensive

beej

There's a lot to selecting a speaker. A lot depends on the amp you're using, style of music you play and what kind of cab it is.

On the Greenback thing ... when you say "old greenbacks" ... how old? The prized ones are the "pre-Rolas", from the 60s. There's an epic thread on TGP for help identifying them from the frame/cage codes:
Celestion "Greenback" ID thread, pics, descriptions, etc. - The Gear Page

You can re-cone the old ones. I had an old cab I bought with 4 of them, and in fact 2 were blown and needed reconing. I sent them to Weber, who does a "pre-Rola" speaker doping, did a fantastic job.

If you're familiar with Scumback Speakers (the guy in the above thread), they make a clone of the old greenbacks that's dead on. (Weber actually manufactures them, so they're good to recone your old ones if need be.) The Scumbacks aren't that expensive and sound fantastic- I've got one one in a 1x12 that sounds huge.

guitfiddle

I would definitely get Weber to re-cone those speakers. You aren't going to buy anything new that sounds better. I've got 4 old greenbacks myself, and if they ever need it they'll be getting re-coned. I've got dozens of other speakers, but none sound as good.

Top Bottom