• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

melvin7822

So I have a Big Al SSS that I love but I find myself mainly using the bridge and middle coils together in series and parallel only. My question is how close is the Big Al H in series in sound to the Big Al SSS with bridge and middle in series? Are they very different?

cyoungnashville

Chief Fanboi-ardee
before you move along, make sure you go passive, and try all those other pickup combos again. when you are in passive mode, use your outboard amp / preamp / pedals / etc. to goose up a little extra bottom / mids / compression, or whatever youre going for on that tune. the outboard gadgets will give you back your active levels / attitude / vibe. it is absolutely amazing the bizarre configurations that wind up being just the ticket, that , A. i never ever woulda thought of, and B. never could have gotten out of any other bass.

that was a big lesson for me, and has greatly improved my game. i learned it by pure happenstance on the way to a session one day. i was driving down the road and my phone rang. it was some nut-job with a gruff voice just maniacally screaming over and over "put the big al in passive today dumba$$!!!"..... then he let out a big "mmmmmwwwwwaaaaahahahahaaa!!" and hung up on me. i wonder what ever became of him.

BigAlis4me

how close is the Big Al H in series in sound to the Big Al SSS with bridge and middle in series? Are they very different?
The answer is yes.
(My Big Al SSS has tons of georgous sounds. But it does not offer the sound of a bridge-humbucker,
while my 25th does, that has the same pickup as the BigAL H.)

Oldtoe

Intestinal Poltergeist
Some say he can translate Morse Code for geese. All we know is: he's called The Craig.

Top Bottom