• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin7822

I know a number of you frequent the TalkBass forums. Recently someone has been trying to stir things up complaining about how Music Man doesn't make a 5-string with 19mm spacing. I always cringe when I see these because I am saddened by other people's sense of entitlement and further by narrow-mindedness about the industry. One particular entry was really cruel and upsetting to read.

"Ernie Ball is simply missing out on that market and if they're fine with not getting that business, so am I. It's basically saying that while I know you like my other products, you should spend your money elsewhere because you can't get what has become a standard for most of that market segment here. G&L took the same tact. Most smart businesses look for more opportunities to make money." :(

Normally, I wouldn't bother acknowledging things like this. But I'm just shocked by how some people can think this way.

Ray Salamon

Eh, I just let those cats to their own devices. More EBMMs for me then :D
Seriously though, I agree with you. EBMM doesn't offer it now. Complaining and posting polls on TB isn't going to likely change that. Get over it, and either adjust (which would mean they'd have to practice, and not post online constantly) or look elsewhere.

Holdsg

Or start your own guitar company from scratch. yeah, how many of us have the ability/skill/financing/business sense to do that? If it was so easy, we'd have 2000 bass guitar companies to choose from, which obviously, it's not and thankfully we have the choices that we do have.

melvin7822

I have to say I was also amazed at one comment from a poster who thought offering a 19mm spacing 5-string would be as simple as a $300-$500 upcharge.

strummer

Enormous Member
Yeah, I think that guy was here a couple years ago, claiming the industry standard for a 5-string was 19 mm, when the simple truth is that The Stingray 5 is the industry standard 5-string.

Yawn I say

And hey, you know what? I have another 5-string bass (yep it's a very good bass too) and it has 19 mm string spacing. Never knew until now that I measured.
This leads me to wonder how poor theose guys really are at playing...

KevinM

I never measured the string spacing. I played another brand guitar for years because that's what I had. I recently bought a couple EBMM's and just started playing them. Any adjustments needed were made and that was that.

husky123

It would be nice if my Dodge Ram truck had 2 more inches of leg room..........but I deal.

Golem

`
`

All you gotta do to get a 19mm 5-string EBMM is buy
a Boingo 6-string and take it to your fave mod shop
to convert it to 5 strings. The PUs will work great.
You'd need a 19mmx5-string bridge, a new nut, and
you might wanna plug the hole from the 6th tuner.

I'm not joking here. The result should be excellent
[except for its resale value ..... heh heh].

I am The Bass Klutz, and can generally benefit from
wider necked 5-strings [I do have a coupla them].
But I just finished a coupla hours checking out my
new SR5 HS, and there's NOTHING I would change
about the spacing on it. If it WERE adjustable, I'd
prolly make it just a skootch narrower, cuz being
The Bass Klutz, I tend to push the B-string off the
northern edge of the frets [on almost any bass].

Last edited:

Big Poppa

what they may not understand is that there are many choices out there....WE make what we make and seem to be doing ok. You cannot be everything to everyone....I also think that we probably make more usa 5 strings than anyone....something must be ok?

JayDawg

I like the Music Man basses just fine. I frequent that site too and while it does have many EBMM fans over there, it has some people who refuse to like EBMM for really lame reasons.

stingray96191

i think people start threads just to pump up their thread count... Anytime i see a thread like that open i just ignore it, cause who wants 300 email alerts that there is a new update on the talkbass forum. When i started playing years and years ago, Talkbass seemed like a great place to go to learn something new about my instrument.. Then six months later the glitter had worn away, and there were just a bunch of people with the same 3 questions, and no good answers. That said... This has been a much friendlier forum overall... Even if i wasn't a complete knucklehead.

Erin

Smallmouth_Bass

Why don't they make wider string spacing? Why don't they offer a Jazz pickup configuration? Why don't have them in my favourite colour? Why don't they come with the straplocks of my choice? Why don't they have a "custom shop"?

The bottom line is that you cannot please everybody.

Ray Salamon

i think people start threads just to pump up their thread count... Anytime i see a thread like that open i just ignore it, cause who wants 300 email alerts that there is a new update on the talkbass forum. When i started playing years and years ago, Talkbass seemed like a great place to go to learn something new about my instrument.. Then six months later the glitter had worn away, and there were just a bunch of people with the same 3 questions, and no good answers. That said... This has been a much friendlier forum overall... Even if i wasn't a complete knucklehead.

Erin
I have to agree with this. I joined TB 9 years ago (dang, that long?) and back then, it was wonderful, to me. Smaller community, and I was learning a lot about some very newbie stuff. Now, when I visit, I just see the same questions being asked over and over, the same complaints, and the people constantly GASing over this or that, and of course showing off their $$$$$ builds. All that's fine and dandy, but it's not comfortable for me really. I mostly hang out in Amp and Off Topic now...

Movielife

what they may not understand is that there are many choices out there....WE make what we make and seem to be doing ok. You cannot be everything to everyone....I also think that we probably make more usa 5 strings than anyone....something must be ok?

I think EBMM are definitely doing it right! Ive played a few different spacing and I think the 17.5 mm is perfect. If its a bit strange to people at first, they need to practice.

BP - Im guessing you guys make the most USA made 5 string basses, and the most popular/industry standard is no doubt the SR5.

drTStingray

It's funny, a lot of people like the EBMM 5 strings specifically because of the string spacing and feel of the necks - so why change it if it fits most people's needs? I feel a little sorry for the guy who wants a 19mm spacing on an MM bass - presumably he likes everything else about the MM bass - it sounds like an after market mod is what he needs.

FWIW when I was testing/choosing a 5 string back about ten years ago I couldn't get on with some makes because of the necks being so wide - in fact the first bass I tried was an SR5 and having tested out loads of different makes, the SR5 was what I bought - nothing else sounded or felt as good to me - the start of the affliction :)

R Upsomegrub

Different strokes for different folks.

I've been playing Stingray 5's almost exclusively since '93, in large part due to the neck profile/string spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom