• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Big Poppa

Before I start..do not ask me to turn off the feature. I have my reasons for keeping it.

I only ask a few things....and most of them are ignored.

1. Dont pm me. Yesterday I got several....One poster wanted to know why I wasnt here as much...he has only pmmed me four or five times. Another poster sent me a request to refinish his 1993 Albert Lee due to finish cracks. There are several each week. Can I please ask that none of you do it? Why is this so hard to grasp.....

2. Customer service postings before going to your dealer or customer service. Why? Because here is the truth...they are usually at least 80% user created. Then you ask a stranger to tell you how to fix it without knowing the qualifications of the person you are asking. No real guitar person would give a definitive diagnosis without first playing the guitar.

3. Dont make me a friend on facebook...If I wasnt already here I would have a fake FB page like most people of a tiny bit of stature...I dont Im here That should be enough (or too much!) I get about twenty requests a week from diehards...I only have family and a few friends on FB. I even didnt accept Jackie and I love him I wanted to make a point.

I am not on this board as much because of the above coupled with maybe being a little too familiar I was getting some pretty blunt and disrespectful comments. Im sorry for the negative post but I would appreciate it if you gave me just a little courtesy by respecting the few things that I ask for.

e.mate

Why is it that some dudes write RESPECT as I-G-N-O-R-E? I just don't get it....neither in the real, nor in the virtual world :(

sballow

Just think of how special it is that we have the leader of the company that makes something we all enjoy everyday reading our postings, let alone commenting on them. We should be very grateful for this and make any and all accommodations he asks for.

Jack FFR1846

You don't have to turn off the PM feature entirely. You can first turn it off to the public and then "friend" moderators and others who you are willing to get pm's from. (I'm a moderator on a large Subaru board and many of the other moderators do this)

I send my questions to customer service.......which has worked out fantastic for me.

zombywoof

I would never PM you BP. I respect your request.
Could you post your cell phone number though!
I have a few questions about a custom shop...

larryluke

I can't understand why people don't respect the rules.

I would never PM BP because I understand the reasons. And I'm soooo proud that the boss of "my" guitar company looks so intensive after us knuckleheads!!!

Colin

I accidentally sent a fb friend request without realizing. I didn't know that fb grabs our contacts from the email client and basically spams everyone. It did it to everyone in my address book including the Australian prime minister (she wasn't pm then) and I was totally unaware, until people started contacting me and telling me. How embarrassing :eek:

Gio_Force_One

Eventually he won't come on here and talk to us if people don't respect his wishes.
I have to say all his hints on new guitars and stuff make it more fun to come on here everyday , first thing i check when i get home from work.
Its just one simple request just don't PM him. not really an outlandish request. He could be asking you to play smoke on the water backwards only on a Luke guitar while standing on one foot with the guitar behind your back on a trampoline.
but anyway stop PMing him before we lose him on this site.

Astrofreq

In my mind, it's a straight forward request with no gray area. BP, do I at least get a prize for 2728 posts and never having PM'ed you before?

slukather

I accidentally sent a fb friend request without realizing. I didn't know that fb grabs our contacts from the email client and basically spams everyone. It did it to everyone in my address book including the Australian prime minister (she wasn't pm then) and I was totally unaware, until people started contacting me and telling me. How embarrassing :eek:

Wow your Facebook friends with the PM, what an honor. ;P

Jack FFR1846

No jack dont give me a lesson on v bulletin (i mean this firmly and nicely) Why cant people just respect that wish?

I get that we should not pm you (I never have). On the board where I moderate, we have over 50k active members and I know from years of being there that I can ask for any reasonable things to happen......and there will still be lots of people who will ignore that. Heck....the site dumps new members right into their profile upon first sign up and asks them to fill in their profile. A good portion do not and immediately post some local issue in one of the worldwide sections. No, I can't tell them where the next car meet is near them because they haven't bothered to put in their profile where they are located.

I will continue to respect your wishes....no pms.....no facebook and go to cs for guitar issues.

And I do understand where you're coming from.....this is a small enough forum where members really should have figured the above line out by now.

Big Poppa

I think that I should also explain that with the over familiarity It became very difficult to state our viewpoints and philosophy without someone taking a shot....Shots they would never take to my face. IT was also the fact that the business decision wasnt open for internet debate...like it or not I took the time to explain ourselves, Im still here...I just pick my spots a little better

peterd79

when i first joined the forum (way back when) i used to PM Big Poppa... obviously not knowing who he was/is because he was able to answer all my questions to the "T" and i mean to the "T" and then he so kindly informed me that he was indeed "The Boss" have not PM'd him since...

BP- thanks for being so gracious with your time back then and even now... it's so great to be in the know before everyone else...

Smellybum

Good for you BP - being famous should reduce your right to a slice of privacy -

I've binned my Facebook account for various reasons (Not just that you didn't accept me as a friend!) - and we should all follow due process, there's a sticky with the rules, just so happens people (and that included me back int he day don't read it)..... can we make it flash?

As for PM's - not my usual standard, but a helpful Karaoke song to help us single cell Knuckleheads....

Top Bottom