• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Gio_Force_One

Anyone know if it is at all possible to put a bigsby on say an Axis super sport or maybe a reflex or any EBMM I want to keep using my EBMM , but I like the sound a bigsby has and want to use it for rockabilly music. I love my hollowbody gretsch but not my solid body gretsch and would much rather use a EBMM anyway
I know i could just use the trem but i like the feel and look of a bigsby.

straycat113

I dont see why not Gio as you always see them on Teles and hollow bodies so the basswood body should not be an issue. Really weird how from when I was a teen I wanted a 6120 just like Setzer and when I finally got the chance to get the real mcoy in my 20s it was the most uncomfortable guitar I ever played lol. I love the sound of a Bigsby but it feels like a bike stand on a guitar.

Gio_Force_One

I dont see why not Gio as you always see them on Teles and hollow bodies so the basswood body should not be an issue. Really weird how from when I was a teen I wanted a 6120 just like Setzer and when I finally got the chance to get the real mcoy in my 20s it was the most uncomfortable guitar I ever played lol. I love the sound of a Bigsby but it feels like a bike stand on a guitar.

I love my EBMM and think they are the most comfortable guitars but also i think my gretsch is pretty comfortable too. I always bring my Gretsch to gigs and use it a a couple of songs but mostly I use my EBMM. Sometimes its hard to decide whether to bring the Luke The morse or The reflex so i switch it up

wesman11483

Revival

Anyone know if it is at all possible to put a bigsby on say an Axis super sport or maybe a reflex or any EBMM I want to keep using my EBMM , but I like the sound a bigsby has and want to use it for rockabilly music. I love my hollowbody gretsch but not my solid body gretsch and would much rather use a EBMM anyway
I know i could just use the trem but i like the feel and look of a bigsby.

Anyone tried this yet (and maybe have pics?)

I miss the bigsby feature of some of my old faves, but am head over heels for my Axis MM90. Thinking a b5 would be cool...thoughts?

RichieZ

I consider adding a Bigsby to my Valentine about twice a year and always chicken out. Someday maybe. I’ve heard good things about the Duesenberg version too.

jones4tone

I consider adding a Bigsby to my Valentine about twice a year and always chicken out. Someday maybe.

I guess doing that to a Valentine would mean mounting the trem itself, plus a tune-o-Matic or similar bridge? That’s an intriguing idea, as there’s plenty of space behind the bridge. Wonder if the pickguard outline would have to change for the bridge posts? And would a neck shim be enough to get the action right with the higher bridge? (At least I think the saddles would sit higher than on the stock bridge.)

I’ve heard good things about the Duesenberg version too.

I don’t own one, but their bigsby-like trems feel pretty great when I’ve played them. Most fluid action I’ve experienced.

wesman11483

I guess doing that to a Valentine would mean mounting the trem itself, plus a tune-o-Matic or similar bridge? That’s an intriguing idea, as there’s plenty of space behind the bridge. Wonder if the pickguard outline would have to change for the bridge posts? And would a neck shim be enough to get the action right with the higher bridge? (At least I think the saddles would sit higher than on the stock bridge.).

I saw a Morse on Reverb that replaced the stop piece with a bigsby. What are the neck pocket/string height differences there versus a Valentine or an Axis...

jones4tone

I saw a Morse on Reverb that replaced the stop piece with a bigsby. What are the neck pocket/string height differences there versus a Valentine or an Axis...

Judging by these three pictures:

slide-18.jpg

slide-18.jpg

slide-61.jpg

It appears the height difference isn't all that great, less than I would have guessed. Probably kidding myself to think I'd ever undertake this mod, but I do think it could be great on a Valentine.

How did that Morse look on Reverb?

wesman11483

4CBBB835-0681-4D84-A534-B6B7A4C92B1C.jpg C7E99359-B22C-4AB3-B3A2-FA92F4762669.jpg
I'd have to do this to a beater guitar of some sort - just couldn't make myself do it to a Valentine, I don't think.

So after some soul searching (and reading the recent “hardtail” thread) I need to stop trying to be a “one guitar guy” lol

Thinking maybe a Bigsby would flow nicely with the Frankenstein vibe of my Sterling project...

RichieZ

That looks so out of place to me. I'd have to do this to a beater guitar of some sort - just couldn't make myself do it to a Valentine, I don't think.
And that’s the conclusion I always end up reaching. I’ll probably end up with a Bigsby on something someday but won’t butcher a great instrument to do it.

tbonesullivan

It's gotta be fun getting the action right. There isn't much neck angle to work with on most EBMM guitars, so getting a bigsby to work is like putting one on a telecaster. you might need to replace the bridge as well, and possibly route a shallow cavity to put the Bigsby in to get the right break angle over the bridge.

Personally I think the newer "stetsbar" tremolo is better than the bigsby, and doesn't have all of those annoying tuning problems you get when the bigsby doesn't quite return to center.

Top Bottom