• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dhalif

Going to be in UK for 4 months next week, looking for advice to pack 2 of my musicmans to be checked in.. Any help/suggestions would be great! Thank you!! to be specific its a Silo and a JP

Marcello

Hi there !
Some companies allow you to bring an instrument on board, if it does not exceed certain sizes, I was able to bring a guitar with its gigbag on board with KLM and Lufthansa.

If you already have a hand baggage you can't take the guitar on board. I traveled a couple of times with my MusicMan as a "normal" baggage. I just put it inside the case, loosed the strings a little bit to ensure the neck didn't suffer much tension, put some of that plastic with funny airball and I was done. Everything arrived at destination with no issues!

Be sure the flight company don't make pay extra cost to bring the instrument with you.
Ciao!
Marcello

Anchor_man

Mate there are a few things I always do before flying...

1) Back off the strings slightly so there isn't too much pressure on the neck.
2) Pad the case well, in particular the headstock and heal so they don't rub.
3) Make sure you mark it fragile.

If possible you may be able to carry it on the plane but it's unlikely you'll get two onboard without checking them. Use hard cases if you have them.

4) Cross fingers. :)

dhalif

im thinking, having the case in a shipping box would be safer yes? only bulkier..

njhammer

I've checked a couple of guitars through to the UK in their MM HS cases in the past few years with no issues (whew!), and will be doing the same next month with one of my SR5s. I didn't lock the cases as "they" want to be able to open them up and take a look, at will. The thought of busted latches on the case was, frankly, scarier than the alternative.

It's a bit like going through one of those airport "farewells" with an old friend, but the cases do the job extremely well and you should have no problem meeting your amigo at the other end......

the24thfret

I have flown domestically and internationally with many different guitars. I have one rule:

#1 - Never, ever, ever let the guitar out of my sight.

I will never ever check a guitar. There is always room in the cabin to put guitars (especially on larger aircraft which fly internationally). A standard EBMM case will always fit in an overhead bin on larger aircraft, if other storage areas are taken. Check with your airline, but every airline I've ever flown has some kind of "oversize" or "musical instrument" baggage exceptions which allows you to bring it on board.

To me, it is not worth the risk of having the guitar damaged. Airlines are notorious for not covering damages like these.

Case and point:
‪United Breaks Guitars‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
When Slav shipped my SS to me it was in it's standard MM case, padded with couple of T-shirts, in a cardboard box the same size as the hard case (i.e. no other padding). The guitar arrived not only intact but in-tune. So here's my question...

Do we really think that the shipping guys treat stuff any better than the baggage handlers?

Remember, I've worked in a warehouse shipping guitars, I've seen UPS guys throw packages (with guitars in!) and put 4x12 speaker cabs on top of packages (with guitars in!) marked FRAGILE in BIG RED LETTERS.

Whatever you do, if you can't get your guitar in the cabin with you, get it insured and make sure you comply with whatever regulations are needed for you to make the claim. But really, would it not be OK just checking the guitar in it's standard MM case?

Last edited:

dhalif

yeah ive been stopped many times about having it as carry ons.. pretty nervous to check the babies in... gahh killing me inside.. lol

the24thfret

They've never stopped me from bringing it on a plane. I insist. Usually I have to argue. But I always get my way.

Top Bottom