• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

fire

i was wondering if someone could enlighten me on the differences between the stingrays produced now by EB and the ones that were made by musicman. im really enjoying my 2000 stingray but the vintage ones look extremely cool. any experts out there?

dhuffguitars

A Pre Ernie Ball Stingray has-
skunk stripe, because of different style truss rod.
sometimes a 7.25 radius fingerboard
Alnico pickup (newer 'ray's are ceramic magnets)
string through bridge with mutes
slab body
3 bolt neck with micro tilt
one less face dot
different logo
different finish on neck, necks generally also have a different shape
2 band boost only pre

MOJO!!! :D

fire

thanks for the reply

you say the neck has a different shape, is it chunkier or a bit thinner?
how does alnico differ from ceramic?
how much would these go for? im hoping to trade my modulus flea bass for one.

prickly_pete

dhuffguitars Alnico pickup (newer 'ray's are ceramic magnets) [/QUOTE said:
Only the SR5s have ceramic pickups, the SR4s are still alnico. Sterlings are ceramic.

dlloyd

dhuffguitars said:
2 band boost only pre

I thought the preamp was boost/cut despite the lack of center detente (and despite what the catalogues said?)

JB1

Fire.

I can't afford it I'm afraid, but I'd be intrested to hear what you have to say about the Modulus Flea - what's it like?

Rod Trussbroken

>>>>I thought the preamp was boost/cut despite the lack of center detente

dlloyd...in my opinion, you are 100%

Although the Pre-EBs have no centre detent, the Pre-EB hang tag manuals clearly refer to the pre-amps as both cut and boost and advise to start off with controls in the centre position.

Derek Brooks has also confirmed the cut/boost nature of the Pre-EBs in a previous thread.

Out of interest, the treble pot appears to have a log-antilog taper. I've been told by a radio tech that this is the kind of taper used for left/right channel balance in home stereo units and has a central position adjustment.

( get outta here with that stick Jack :eek: )

Last edited:

MingusBASS

Another little known up side of owning a pre eb stingray is that they come with a beanie w/ a spinner on top just so people know it's PRE EB. 'Cause it would be a real shame if you were caught playing an Ernieball Musicman Stingray. The Quality is clearly better on PRE EB's. RIGHT?!?!?!?!

*pats vintage whores on the shoulder*
there there... its gonna be alright
:D

Andrew

fire

JB1 said:
Fire.

I can't afford it I'm afraid, but I'd be intrested to hear what you have to say about the Modulus Flea - what's it like?

My modulus is pretty cool. It came with a bart pickup and a bart preamp and it sounded awful (not well defined, muddy, and kind of clicky) but i switched the bart stuff out for a lane poor pickup and an aguilar pickup....it really made the bass much better. I would describe the sound as more trebly and somewhat sterile....due to the graphite neck. it is the best slapper i've ever had (yes, even better than the stingray :eek: ) and the neck never moves around, even in drastic temp changes. extremely low action also.

dhuffguitars

I am not saying a Pre Eb is better than a EB. I have had about 16 stingrays, pre Eb, transition era when they were made by another company(Charvel?Jackson?) before Ernie bought them, and then Ernie ball. They are all great basses.

My first REAL bass was a black 1978 Stingray, so to me that is what will always feel like home to me. I prefer a 2 band over a 3 band, but I own both right now.

When I think of a Stingray I think of that original logo, string through, muted bridge, 2 band, skunk striped neck, 3 bolt....

I am stuck on looks as much as feel and tone, maybe that is why I went into building basses for a living.

MingusBASS

My post wasn't directed torwards anyone on this forum. I just don't like the notion that "Vintage" is always better. I've ran into a lot of people with that mantra and it bothers me. I've played tons of vintage basses that were awesome and just as many that sucked.

Andrew

fire

but anyways, back to the topic

do the older ones weigh more than the newer ones?
how would you price them? im hoping to find a really beat up looking one, hopefully it'll cost a little less than some of the good condition ones i see for sale.

JB1

Thanks for the info Fire, think I'll stick with Rays for now - I'm not much of a slapper and I couldn't be arsed with changing the pups/pre etc.

fire

Rod Trussbroken said:
Catalogue says 15 lbs which is what my 79 is. A lot weigh less than that.

geez 15 lbs? im guessing that theyre made of ash then. maybe ill spring for a sterling instead since i wanna stick to medium and light weight basses.

dhuffguitars

They are not all 15lbs, that is the heavy side.... I have three(76,78,82(CutlassI) ) and they are all 9.5-10.5

I would say that back then the weight did vary more than the current ones though.

Top Bottom