• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mrfstop

I have had a Rosewood neck EBMM bass high up on my G.A.S. list for sometime.
Never saw one in person.
Never played one.
BUT!!!
They look like they would be truly amazing to play.
And have to guess the tone and resonance is amazing.
I just found a brand new one for sale.
Price is not too too bad I guess.
Was thinking about letting go of yet another bass I most likely should not let go of, to buy this beast before someone else grabs it.
But wanted some opinions of them from players using them before jumping the gun and letting go of yet another beautiful bass out of the collection to TRY one.

Any input?

rosewoodray2.jpg

Last edited:

2ndBassGuitar

You have a very nice collection already, so you really do not need another bass. But as long as you can afford it, why not? Let me know if you ever decide to move your white Reflex.

I have two EBMMs with all rosewood necks and they are very comfortable to play. One is Venetian 25th BFR 4HH and the other is a one off 2005 Buttercream Bongo 4HH made for Juan Nelson.

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

mrfstop

Thanks for reaching out and the input.
Well yes I have a good amount of beautiful basses at the moment.
I am very attached to them all.
As I am sure you are with your stellar collection as well.
In troubled economic times I would not say I can " afford it" ....
So much as I would make myself let go of something to obtain something.
SO the $$ Factor does not really come much into the plan.

Selling the White and black Reflex had actually crossed my mind.
Being I now have two Big Al basses with similar traits.
But I quickly came to my senses and shelfed THAT idea :D hahahaha!!
This Reflex is truly special!! the rosewood board has soooo Much red in it.
And the neck plays like butter. And the bass has a ton of eyeball appeal!

If I DO end up going for this BFR Rosewood Ray.
I will most likely Sell something else to get her.
IF I do decide down the road to let go of the Reflex, will for sure PM ya right away.
Shipping from NY to Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada might be a steeeeeep shipping charge though.
And It would need be packed bomb proof for such a long trip.

By the way, that Bongo is truly amazing!! At some point I will find something in buttercream!
Such a great color!

mrfstop

I own a Stingray 5 bfr rosewood. It feels, plays and sounds amazing with a big low end.

Go for it!

a-11535.jpg

Thanks man, I think I just might. :D
These do not come along often...ya need jump on things when ya find the chance.
Or wish ya did! :D
I have a brand new G&L ASAT Classic 6 string in Bel Air green with double binding and birdseye maple neck and fb, fitted tolex case.....very loaded guitar!
Should sell quickly for like $1,300.
Which would be about 80& of the cost of the BFR Ray.
A fair trade considering I suck at guitar and would love this bass!! hahaha!! :)

bdgotoh

I love my Stingray, I wish I had bought a 4 string Bongo with the rw neck when they were available.

SR4HHrwneck.jpg

mrfstop

Thanks for the input guys...Sure does look nice. :D
Need to decide what can go up on the block for sale to make a move :) !!!

MrMusashi

i have a bongo with rosewood neck.. it is not of this world!

nice chocolate brown with black stripes running.. i want to sink my teeth into it and take a chunk!
oil and wax finish that is sooooo smooth.
non painted headstock that allows you to refinish the bass in whatever color you like without loosing headstock decals.

it also resonates a little differently than my regular bongo. the d on the g string sustains like mad while the c# is a little less vibrant. on my regular bongo its the d that is a little less alive :)

if i were you id sell the stealth 4 hh and get the rw neck instead.. but thats just me..
what you do is up to you. no matter what you do you will have a good bass.

its just that the rw necked one will be an exceptional bass ;););)

MrM

MattOfSweden

I have had a Rosewood neck EBMM bass high up on my G.A.S. list for sometime.
Never saw one in person.
Never played one.
BUT!!!
They look like they would be truly amazing to play.
And have to guess the tone and resonance is amazing.
I just found a brand new one for sale.
Price is not too too bad I guess.
Was thinking about letting go of yet another bass I most likely should not let go of, to buy this beast before someone else grabs it.
But wanted some opinions of them from players using them before jumping the gun and letting go of yet another beautiful bass out of the collection to TRY one.

Any input?

rosewoodray2.jpg
Do what you have to to get it, and should you ever want to pass it on I'm here waiting. :D (Really, I am!)
Just gorgeous, one of the coolest StingRay's ever IMHO!

mmbassplayer

Mrfstop... I think i have been eyeballing the same bass as you for a while. Rare color/Rare PG and Rosewood neck. You should have already bought it. I would of if i had the cash (and didn't have a thing for Bongo's). JOSH

mrfstop

Damnnnn seems it is unanimous......get it get it GET IT!! hahaha!!
Thanks for the input everyone, truly.
I figured the feedback on these rosewood necks would be all good!

I hear you about stop eyeballing and pull the trigger before it is gone.
Seems it was made back in 2/2009....so it has been sitting in a case for going on years now???? weird??!!!

A fellow bass player friend has a never played mint in a wrapper twin of this one in the HS pup config which is my favorite.
Waiting on him to give me a firm price , if he can bring himself to sell his. Said he might want to, soooooo?
Would rather have an HS than the HH if possible.

Annnd would need sell something to buy either of them.
HAVE to keep making myself live by the "one in and one out" golden rule.
After all do not want to end up on that Horders television show....hahaha!! :D

mrfstop

Sell the stealth?
Nawww....I love that Stealth!
It is mint+ and is the only EBMM I have left kicking around with an Ebony board.
Plus I am going through a mid life crisis I think.
And have given thought to shaving my head, growing a goateeee, getting some tats and piercings and joining a thrash metal punk kill kittens kinda band.....hahahaha
So the stealth would HAVE to be the go to bass if I follow through with the thought....LMAO :)

i have a bongo with rosewood neck.. it is not of this world!

nice chocolate brown with black stripes running.. i want to sink my teeth into it and take a chunk!
oil and wax finish that is sooooo smooth.
non painted headstock that allows you to refinish the bass in whatever color you like without loosing headstock decals.

it also resonates a little differently than my regular bongo. the d on the g string sustains like mad while the c# is a little less vibrant. on my regular bongo its the d that is a little less alive :)

if i were you id sell the stealth 4 hh and get the rw neck instead.. but thats just me..
what you do is up to you. no matter what you do you will have a good bass.

its just that the rw necked one will be an exceptional bass ;););)

MrM

MrMusashi

well your mrs should be glad you buy basses instead of going out chasing 25 year old bimbos in a newly acquired wiener-enhancing convertible lexus ;););)

MrM

smokey

I have said this before and I'll say it again. My 25th 5HH BFR Rosewood Neck has ruined me for so many other basses. Punch, definition and tonal options for days. Comparison to my previously owned Maple necked EBMM's I find the Rosewood has more of a Piano characteristic to the low B and also a more even sound across all strings. I found it to have more of a warmer and rounder tone to my SR5, but still able to growl very easily.

I recently attended a Bass GTG a few weeks back where a local EBMM rep had brought along a standard 25th 5HH with Maple Neck and Rosewood board. Both very special basses in their own right, but the consensus at the GTG was that there was something in the tone of my 25th BFR 5HH that gave it a significant edge over the other 25th.
One of my friends who spent majority of the GTG A/B-ing both of the 25th's made the following observations:
- That he thought that unfinished feel of EBMM necks were the best around, but feel of unfinished Rosewood was something else again
- The Rosewood 25th had definitely more mid presence and a nice growl that was very transparent.

I'd say if you have the opportunity to own a Rosewood Neck EBMM, then go for it. I can't see you regretting the decision. If you find for any reason that you don't bond with it, it will always be a desireable instrument in the marketplace.
Cheers

mrfstop

Hey thanks for sharing the info and story.
The rosewood neck just looks like it would be amazing..
I am working on this and hope to pull it together and be the owner of this rosewood BFR ray!
Thanks again! :D

I have said this before and I'll say it again. My 25th 5HH BFR Rosewood Neck has ruined me for so many other basses. Punch, definition and tonal options for days. Comparison to my previously owned Maple necked EBMM's I find the Rosewood has more of a Piano characteristic to the low B and also a more even sound across all strings. I found it to have more of a warmer and rounder tone to my SR5, but still able to growl very easily.

I recently attended a Bass GTG a few weeks back where a local EBMM rep had brought along a standard 25th 5HH with Maple Neck and Rosewood board. Both very special basses in their own right, but the consensus at the GTG was that there was something in the tone of my 25th BFR 5HH that gave it a significant edge over the other 25th.
One of my friends who spent majority of the GTG A/B-ing both of the 25th's made the following observations:
- That he thought that unfinished feel of EBMM necks were the best around, but feel of unfinished Rosewood was something else again
- The Rosewood 25th had definitely more mid presence and a nice growl that was very transparent.

I'd say if you have the opportunity to own a Rosewood Neck EBMM, then go for it. I can't see you regretting the decision. If you find for any reason that you don't bond with it, it will always be a desireable instrument in the marketplace.
Cheers

MrMusashi

That he thought that unfinished feel of EBMM necks were the best around, but feel of unfinished Rosewood was something else again

amen to that!

have you ever barefooted on a untreated douglas fir floor?
if you havent you should try it because the floor feels warm, even if it is cold outside..

this is the same feeling your thumb gets when it feels the nekkid rosewood ;)
smoooth smoooth warmth!

MrM

Top Bottom