• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

PunkEffenRock

I'm returning to bass after a 7 year hiatus. I'd like to get a stingray like I had but now there are all of these pickup options. My question is this: is there any downside to the HS or HH vs. the H pickup option? I loved the tone from the single H back in the day, but versatility is always nice.

Thanks,
PfR

JayDawg

On one of my Bongo's, I own a dual H configuration and love it. The other is a single H. Both are great but do have their slight differences. Not to sound cliche' but really, and route you go you will be happy.

I know on a Big Al, I prefer the SSS configuration over the single H just because it makes that model so unique. Same with the Reflex, I really like the HSS configuration because I think that model is the only one offered like that.

On the Stingrays and Sterlings, I prefer the single H configuration over the HH or HS configurations even though the HH and HS offer more versatility. To me, it's probably because single H has that original Music Man soul to them. Even on the Bongo's, I kind of like the single H on them but that is because a single H Bongo is such a rare bread.

I hope that help! Also, welcome to the forum.
Jay

keko

I've decided for HH reflex 5, cause it's offer standard Musicman's bridge sweetspot H sound, ...but in combination with neck H offers plenty of new tone options! :)

To be honest from 16 combinations I use 4 active when live giggin' (bridge H parallel active 90%) and 2 or 3 passive combinations for home practice! ;)

I think it worth about 100 bucks more and looks killer with two ceramic humbackers! :cool:

bassmonkeee

The additional pickup adds weight. That's the downside. My Bongo HHp is a lot heavier than my Bongo H.

The switching is different. That's neither a positive nor a negative, just a difference.

The upside is more tonal options, of course.

I don't know if I'd attribute the added weight to the pickups. For every pickup added, there is wood removed. I'd say your HHp is heavier because it's a heavier piece of wood.

muggsy

No downside to more choices, unless you want to keep it simple. I prefer the single H on all my EB basses because it's "point and shoot" but the preamp still gives plenty of tonal flexibility. Big Al single H also has passive/active and series/parallel buttons, which is more than enough choice for me. The gamechanger would probably make my head explode.

I've occasionally thought I should have gone with the SSS Big Al because it's so different from anything else I have, but then I remember my HH Bongo, where I pretty much found a sound I liked and didn't mess with the settings. The extra flexibility was somewhat wasted on me. When I spent time playing with the settings on the Bongo, I'd usually end up confused -- wait, which one did I like better? -- and I'm not one to start knob-twiddling on the fly in the middle of a song. I have enough trouble figuring out what to play next.

Golem

`

IIRC, a multi PU SR offers all series wiring of the humbuggers,
whereas the single H SR uses a parallel wired humbugger. Not
specifically a down side ... but a difference to consider [IIRC
that is ... ]. So, playing the rear humbugger of your SR4 HH,
you'd be playing a slightly different humbugger than the one
supplied on a single H SR4.

Corrections welcome :)

`

adouglas

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
I don't know if I'd attribute the added weight to the pickups. For every pickup added, there is wood removed. I'd say your HHp is heavier because it's a heavier piece of wood.

I think it's safe to say that basswood is a wee bit less dense than the magnets, copper wire and the steel plates in the pickup.

If somebody threw a chunk of wood the size of an EBMM pickup at me I might get mildly annoyed. If they threw an actual pickup at me, I'd duck.

My guess is that each of those big fat humbuckers adds a half pound or more, net.

drTStingray

The additional pickup adds weight. That's the downside. My Bongo HHp is a lot heavier than my Bongo H.

I don't doubt this is correct, and my Bongo HHp weighs a ton (figuratively speaking of course). However, my SR4HH is much lighter than either of my SR4H basses - in fact it feels super lightweight. I think the weight is most likely to be influenced by the piece of wood used (and the multi pick up SR4s do have significantly more of a body routing at the back compared to an SR4H).

Golem I think you're not correct - I seem to remember emailing CS on this issue when I bought my SR4HH and was told the wiring is parallel.

Now to the sound of the SR4HH compared to the SR4H - the bridge H is in the same position as an SR4H, and one of the switch positions runs these two coils alone - this gives a standard Stingray sound. Using both humbuckers together give a smoother sound and significant mid scooped slap sound. The single coil options give good sounds also (if you want a J or P vibe, but with MM DNA, these are available), and the neck humbucker alone gives the option of quite a subby bass sound - or if popped/slapped, something approaching an Alembic S Clarke vibe. So it's a very versatile instrument - even without considering the different sounds available from different plucking positions between the neck and bridge.

The only downside for me is it's not as easy to slap the HH because the neck pu is slightly in the way, although lowering it does help, and in any case it's something which I've found I get used to.

Last edited:

MK Bass Weed

Yes, there is one HUGE downside to the increase in Pickup Options on Music Man Basses.

You'll want all of them in every configuration.

This will cause your BIG Living space..to get smaller as the cases pile up.

Start selling your plasma.

adouglas

On the tail end of the bell curve in Connecticut
I don't doubt this is correct, and my Bongo HHp weighs a ton (figuratively speaking of course). However, my SR4HH is much lighter than either of my SR4H basses - in fact it feels super lightweight. I think the weight is most likely to be influenced by the piece of wood used.

Okay, good point. Wood is a huge variable. But assuming that the bodies are similar, I suggest that the multi-pickup bass would be noticeably heavier.

Oldtoe

Intestinal Poltergeist
You'll want one of every Music Man.

This will not stop. Trust me.

And they're all good.

BobKos

I'm not a slap player by any means so this is just a repetition of other's comments. I have read that some players struggle with slap when they have pickups located at the neck position. It interferes with their technique. I don't know. Something to think about and consider when you're auditioning instruments. I personally prefer the HH setup over anything else EBMM offers. It offers a good variety of tones for me.

tunaman4u2

My Sterling HH beat out my Sterling H, sold the Sterling H.
Love the warmer tones, more versatility for a coverband & church situation of the HH. I don't slap.

Top Bottom