• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Marcello

Hello there!

As few might remember I own a beautiful Luke I wrote about it
http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/49972-my-super-modded-ernie-ball-music-man-luke.html

Yesterday I was talking with some guitarist friends about tremolo bridges. I couldn't find one that's better than my EBMM!!

I find my bridge classy-looking, it works with no frictions, stays in tune (thanks to the Shallers too), sounds great and I love the way you fix the arm to the bridge, with that kind of "click-click" sysyem (I don't know how to call it in real English! If someone mother tongue helps...).

I've ran through Wilkinsons, Floyd, Shaller, Fender, barely all kind of tremolo bridges and I couldn't find one that's better than the EBMM one. Do you agree with me? ;)

Rock on!!
Marcello
:)

dhalif

I totally agree with you friend,

I also have gone through so many tremolo bridges throughout my music journey and when i finally got into ebmm, i was pleasantly surprised!

All of the ebmms i own, none of them let me down. i love em.

BFR

Do you guys experience "bent string going out of tune" problem on your bridges?

Tune the guitar, bend one of the treble strings (1 step bend=two frets difference) and check the string you bent again on tuner. How many cents is it flat?

BFR

I tried everything like lubing the nut, saddles, plate holes, even the clamp and springs. I used Big Bend Nut Sauce and machine oil like 3-in-1 but with no help.

Whatever I do I get the same result, bent string becomes flat. It's 8-10 cents for treble strings but for bass strings it's even worse, about 20 cents. I also tried with lowering the bridge plate and raising the saddles because some luthiers recommend that but the result is the same, bent string goes out of tune :((((

grayn

I have to agree, the trem on my Luke makes most others feel clunky and I use a lot of tremelo.
I've no experience of locking trems, so don't include those in my opinions.

I see, from your previous article, that you changed your EMGs for DiMarzios.
I love Dimarzios but for me me, the hi-fi clarity of the EMGs, combined with the accuracy of the trem and neck, make for a sublime experience, as i usually play with a clean sound, with a bit of valve warmth.

Love the looks of yours BTW. I often wonder what the Luke would look like, with a scratchplate?

Cheers

Marcello

I have to agree, the trem on my Luke makes most others feel clunky and I use a lot of tremelo.
I've no experience of locking trems, so don't include those in my opinions.

I see, from your previous article, that you changed your EMGs for DiMarzios.
I love Dimarzios but for me me, the hi-fi clarity of the EMGs, combined with the accuracy of the trem and neck, make for a sublime experience, as i usually play with a clean sound, with a bit of valve warmth.

Love the looks of yours BTW. I often wonder what the Luke would look like, with a scratchplate?

Cheers

Hi there!
I changed the EMG cause they sounded a little too hi-fi to me, already compressed, already "cd-like", if you understand what I mean. Everytime I tried a Strat I found it more dynamically responsive and dirt, now I can squeeze more tone out of my Luke. But the thing impressed me a lot is the PAF pro humbucker, it literally growls on distortion, yet it is balanced in every frequency, you can actually hear every single note you play (can you play maj7th distorted with any guitar?)!

Norrin Radd

I tried everything like lubing the nut, saddles, plate holes, even the clamp and springs. I used Big Bend Nut Sauce and machine oil like 3-in-1 but with no help.

Whatever I do I get the same result, bent string becomes flat. It's 8-10 cents for treble strings but for bass strings it's even worse, about 20 cents. I also tried with lowering the bridge plate and raising the saddles because some luthiers recommend that but the result is the same, bent string goes out of tune :((((

At that stage, I'd take it to a professional tech and see if they can remedy the issue. Is the guitar new? Still under warranty? If so, bring it to your dealer and see if they can sort it out for you.

Problems of this nature are nearly impossible to diagnose & fix online. Someone needs to have that guitar in their hands and give it a good looking over.

beej

Guys, BFR has been in touch with CS about his trem issues so it's out of our hands. Let's just leave it at that.

patpark

+1 on the MM vintage trem bridge. It really is a great design that works and stays in tune well.

It's also the best looking bridge too!

BFR

Guys, BFR has been in touch with CS about his trem issues so it's out of our hands. Let's just leave it at that.

beej, you are right but unfortunately I still have a problem with my guitar. I don't want to write something that is part of communication between me and CS in order to avoid breaking forum rules and to avoid my posts being deleted.

I just need a help with this issue and I want to see did anybody else experience similar problem and how it was solved.

beej

And with that ... let's go back to talking about the trem. I'd rave about it, but all of mine are hardtails.

Marcello

And with that ... let's go back to talking about the trem. I'd rave about it, but all of mine are hardtails.

I simply cannot buy any tremolo-equipped guitar that's not MusicMan, you know, when you're used to the best, you don't want the rest!

Norrin Radd

No trems??? Is that a coincidence or conscious choice? Weird. Now that I've had a guitar with the EBMM trem, I won't get a guitar without one!

beej

Yeah, ever since getting my first Morse, I've become a hardtail guy. Sold off the trems. Have one (homemade strat) with a Floyd, but I never play it.

Roubster

I love my Y2D hardtail as well. That is actually the first hardtail I've ever owned and its awesome, but the MM vintage trem is a delight. I do miss it now that I only have my Y2D...but one day I will have another Silo Special most likely.

Roubster

Yea, I actually miss it quite a bit! I was just watching a vid I made and the tone was so nice! Oh well, time to start saving up for a new one for 2012 :D.

Top Bottom