• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jutter

What tube amp do you recommend for my Luke?
I'm playing a lot of clean, blues and hardrock. I preference an amp with a very good overdrive/distortion channel. On this moment I've got a Koch Twintone but I don't like the overdrive channel in combination with my Luke.
I've got to spend around 1300,00 USD.

jutter

might be worth it to save up for a Mesa Mark V! :D

Thanks! The MarkV is a lot of money......

I saw on this forum a lot of Mesa's with Musicman's. Can you tell me what good Mesa's are for the price around the 1300 USD?
Maybe the DC-5, Subway Rocket, MKIIb or else?

darchirnoj

Perhaps you could contact some GC's and talk them down on a used Roadster. Might work if you're paying cash.
I have a friend that loves his Roadster, and he IS coming from a Mark V. He wanted more saturation.
He plays in a cover band & is pretty happy with his Roadster.

Other than that, perhaps look into one of their Express amps.

If you have a cab, you could pick up a new mini Rectifier for $999.
I played one of these through one of their 2x12 cabs, & it sounded great.

Good luck.

jutter

Perhaps you could contact some GC's and talk them down on a used Roadster. Might work if you're paying cash.
I have a friend that loves his Roadster, and he IS coming from a Mark V. He wanted more saturation.
He plays in a cover band & is pretty happy with his Roadster.

Other than that, perhaps look into one of their Express amps.

If you have a cab, you could pick up a new mini Rectifier for $999.
I played one of these through one of their 2x12 cabs, & it sounded great.

Good luck.

Thanks for your answer! The 'mini' Rectifier; do you mean the Mesa Transatlantic TA-15?

darchirnoj

Very nice! But is it loud enough for gigs?

Well, I mean, 25 watts is pretty good, but I guess it depends on where you play (small club, outdoors, etc.).
Of course, it can always be mic'd to the PA too.

Was reading somewhere that although it sounds good with it's assigned 1x12cab, that it sounds even better through bigger cabs.

I see Carvin has a new(er) Legacy III head (Vai Sig), and that goes to 100 watts.
I think it runs new for $899 or $999.
It's a smaller head too.
If I'm not mistaken, the head plus the matching 2x12 cab sells for like $13-something combined.

Guess it also depends on what sound your going for too as like most amps, these particular amps have "their" sound.

Hope this helps.

jutter

Well, I mean, 25 watts is pretty good, but I guess it depends on where you play (small club, outdoors, etc.).
Of course, it can always be mic'd to the PA too.

Was reading somewhere that although it sounds good with it's assigned 1x12cab, that it sounds even better through bigger cabs.

I see Carvin has a new(er) Legacy III head (Vai Sig), and that goes to 100 watts.
I think it runs new for $899 or $999.
It's a smaller head too.
If I'm not mistaken, the head plus the matching 2x12 cab sells for like $13-something combined.

Guess it also depends on what sound your going for too as like most amps, these particular amps have "their" sound.

Hope this helps.

Thanks man! This helps a lot!

mikeller

I have a Mesa mini rectifier that I run thru a vertical recto-2x12 cabinet. It is plenty loud enough for gigging. I haven't specifically tried my Luke thru it yet (long story) but it sounds great with my JP6, Y2D and Axis...

All that being said - I have a Mesa Lonestar Classic 1-12 and I think that amp is perfectly voiced for the Luke.

jutter

I have a Mesa mini rectifier that I run thru a vertical recto-2x12 cabinet. It is plenty loud enough for gigging. I haven't specifically tried my Luke thru it yet (long story) but it sounds great with my JP6, Y2D and Axis...

All that being said - I have a Mesa Lonestar Classic 1-12 and I think that amp is perfectly voiced for the Luke.

You make me curious; why haven't you tried the Luke through it?

mikeller

You make me curious; why haven't you tried the Luke through it?

I am dealing with a small issue with my Luke right now - has a choke out buzz on the high E & B string around the 20-21st fret. Working hard to get it resolved.

agt

I feel like I'm stating the obvious, but any amp is going to match well with the Luke. All my other EBMMs sound great of course, but they each have their favorite amps and pedals that complement them. The Luke love them all. I'm partial to a Deluxe Reverb.

dav

What tube amp do you recommend for my Luke?
I'm playing a lot of clean, blues and hardrock. I preference an amp with a very good overdrive/distortion channel. On this moment I've got a Koch Twintone but I don't like the overdrive channel in combination with my Luke.
I've got to spend around 1300,00 USD.

I have a luke true gold , and i just received my bogner alchemist!!! it's a terrific amp!!! the clean are really nice (in a fender way) and the overdive channel is really warm with good gain!!! the amp has 2 channels (where you can choose different kind of gain) a boost , and some effects (delay and reverb). the amp comes with a footswhitch with four switches (channel, boost, delay and reverb) i 've bought it for only 560€ in europe!!!
for the power amp, you can choose beetween 20wtts or 40wtts (for gigs)

for me, it's one of the best amp i had !!!

Marcello

Hi Jutter!

I used to have a Koch Twintone head, then I traded to buy a 1x12 combo.

I think the distorted sound it's horrible, muddy and too trebly, without mids (and electric guitar lives there!), but the clean channel is one of the best I've ever tried and it's great with pedals.
You could try few good overdrive/distortion pedals to pair with your twintone, you save money and you can bring your own distortion sound anywhere you play, when you can't bring you own amp

jutter

Hi Jutter!

I used to have a Koch Twintone head, then I traded to buy a 1x12 combo.

I think the distorted sound it's horrible, muddy and too trebly, without mids (and electric guitar lives there!), but the clean channel is one of the best I've ever tried and it's great with pedals.
You could try few good overdrive/distortion pedals to pair with your twintone, you save money and you can bring your own distortion sound anywhere you play, when you can't bring you own amp

Thanks! First I got a Koch TwinTone combo and now I've got a Koch Twintone Head and 2x12cab. The clean channel is great! I use it with a Brunetti Mercury Box. The clean channel sounds great but with the Brunetti MB it's a little bit a hifi sound..... and I don't like it!
I prefer an amp with a very good overdrive-channel;no pedals, just the overdrive of the amp.

Top Bottom