• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

brasco68

That "Montrose" album was a integral part of my high school music rotation...another great one gone.

Last edited:

aleclee

Wow. Mine, too. Growing up in the Bay Area back in the day, radio played a lot of Montrose and Gamma.

catdaddy

He was one of my heroes too. Saw him with Edgar Winter and with Montrose. I admire him for returning to what he loved doing despite his illness.

Razzle

I grew up with his music, his first album still today rocks. And I believe Sammy Hagar on TMS said it was one of the greatest rock albums -- EVER.

Tubes4Tone

RIP Ronnie. I saw Montrose in the 70's with Sammy as vocalist. They truly "Rocked the Nation !!" I learned rock guitar riffs off that first album...that's right ALBUM. NOT compact disc !

God Bless you Ronnie...you showed us how it's done !

LawDaddy

Voyager was a huge influence on me. Got to run into him a few times up here in Sacramento. Apparently, his cooking was legendary. RIP :(

Spudmurphy

He was one of my heroes too. Saw him with Edgar Winter and with Montrose. I admire him for returning to what he loved doing despite his illness.

I was watching an old Old Grey whistle test clip of him with Edgar Winter - he was sooooo young - he just looked like a kid.
Very sad to have heard the news.

TNT

Montrose - the center portion of my song sets in the East Bay. Played his songs more than anyone else over the course of the last decade, and just a few miles from his front door. We will all miss him here in the SF Bay Area.

TSHOW

R.I.P......I loved his playing....I was lucky enough to see him with Gamma....many years ago in New Orleans.....and also with Sammy.....I spoke to him after a show......I asked him ...How do you get that incredible sound.....? and he answered....I am just a great guitarist.....jokingly...then he said...No, I just use a Roland Space Echo......He was a very nice guy to me!!! I met Sammy too....and he was actually way cool also!!!!!:Those were the good old days!!!! Rock music..with lead guitar!!

GoKart_MoZart

I saw Montrose play in San Luis Obispo in the mid-'70s -- I was actually there to see the opening act (Earthquake), but all we talked about after the show was Ronnie's roaring guitar.

I actually saw Ronnie after the show, told him that my brother was a big fan of his, and he gave me a pick for him-- what a nice guy.

RIP, Ronnie. Many of us in the Bay Area are still in mourning.

Top Bottom