• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BIGEJ2

Hey All - I just picked up a BFR Redwood Ray, should be here next week. I understand they were an extremely limited production model but looking on the web, I couldn't find much reliable information on them. Can anyone tell me how many were made in each pickup configuration? I'm excited to finally become a BFR owner!

MrMusashi

the redwood is an awesome bass. afair there were 100 made of each pickup type. 50 for american market, 50 for the rest of the world.
so it is an understatement to say that what you have is quite rare :)

mahogany neck, binding, 1000 year old redwood top..

congrats! :)

MrM

ps: rule in these parts of the intarweb is that no picture = no bass ;)

WillyD

Ernie Ball, Inc.
Hey All - I just picked up a BFR Redwood Ray, should be here next week. I understand they were an extremely limited production model but looking on the web, I couldn't find much reliable information on them. Can anyone tell me how many were made in each pickup configuration? I'm excited to finally become a BFR owner!

Welcome to the forum!

Your bass features an ash body, mahogany tone block, redwood top, binding a la the Axis, mahogany neck, and rosewood fingerboard.

The redwood comes from Northern California from old growth stumps that are over 1000 years old. The trees were initially harvested about 150 years ago.

There were approximately 100 made worldwide

Enjoy!

nurnay

I thought the OP meant "rosewood". I Googled the redwood model and wow, that's beautiful!

Colin

Here's mine and I love it

vault_large_1a.png

Manfloozy

BIGEJ2, I'm jealous but very happy for you. These are beautiful, and definitely on my "to-do" list! Welcome to the forums and major congratulations on a stellar bass!

Colin, that top is absolutely sucktastically amazing!!! Very very nice sir. If something was worthy of a day long flight from the States, that baby is it!

BIGEJ2

I'm drooling over the Redwood pics posted here. Only a few more days and I'll be able to see my new baby in person. In the mean time, my wife opened up the BFR and was kind enough to take some [rather high quality] pics. If the bass sounds as good as it looks, I may never leave the studio!

Last edited:

Tollywood

Those are beautiful redwood basses!

ebmm made one redwood of each of the other models that year for NAMM. My son Eric has the Axis:

redwood-axis-16904.jpg

BIGEJ2

Finally had time to snap and upload a few pics. The crappy cell phones are gone and high quality ones added. I am still stunned by the looks of this thing. The tone is quite remarkable too - unlike any of the Stingrays I previously owned, in a good way.

79e018bd.jpg

1dcac403.jpg

34afda27.jpg

aa655df7.jpg

Jailbait

Hi all hope all`s well, yup another newbie here same story as op just waiting for it to come... BFR 4H and cant wait. Thanks for the information much appreciated.

Top Bottom