• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Leftyjay

Ok, maybe that was asked quite a few times but i can't find exactly what i m looking for. I bought a used silhouette 2 weeks ago. Came with 9's which, even on a 25.5 scale, i passionatly hate. So, i thought : hey, let's put some good ol 10's :)

Of course, the bridge rises a bit. I tries to screw the claw nearer the body but it was so thight, that i decided to add a spring (now at FOUR).

My issues now :

The trem is waaaay too stiff
It won't stay in tune at all.

Advices ?

Leftyjay

2008, original springs, but the fourth is like new...might be the problem maybe ? Thinking of it, do you guys have any sources (youtube?) so I can have the info to really understand the dynamic between the springs, the claw and the bridge ? Is that true that you need to have an angle to the claw ?

CHill

I have a Silhouette with 10 - 52s and all that I did was angled the center of 3 springs so the center spring added a little more tension. On my JP6, I did the same then had to tighten the wood screws that hold the spring mount to the body around 1/2 turn. No next tension adjustment and the action remained low and perfect to play. Small adjustments go a long way. Good luck.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Welcome to the forum! It's sort of an unofficial rule around here - your guitar doesn't exist without pictures! Besides, I think we need more Silhouettes around here! :cool:

None of us have the guitar in front of us, so we can't diagnose any specific problem. If you kow what you're doing and still can't get it right, contact Music Man customer service or bring your guitar to reputable, trusted guitar tech.

do you guys have any sources (youtube?) so I can have the info to really understand the dynamic between the springs, the claw and the bridge ? Is that true that you need to have an angle to the claw ?

No, it is not true that you have to angle the claw. (As I've said many times, re: Carl Verheyen's video, Verheyen is a fantastic guitarist, one we should all be learning music from, and a well meaning guy, but his ideas about trem physics are just plain wrong.)

You can angle your claw if you like, but there is no advantage. It'll work just as well straight. The bridge reacts to total tension from the springs and doesn't care about where the individual tensions are distributed. Get creative, try it and see!

It's really very simple: more springs = stiffer trem action. The claw adjusts the initial tension to balance the string tension and set the bridge where we want it to be. That's it, that's all.

Angling two of the springs stretches them slightly, which gives a little extra tension (though not very much), exactly like tightening the springs a little. Always use the correct size screwdriver when adjusting the spring claw (the largest one that correctly fits). Go carefully and slowly and you should be able to get the claw back pretty far. If the screwdriver starts slipping, STOP. Don't risk stripping the screw heads!

Tuning stability is all about removing friction. Next time you remove the strings, take the springs off and then remove the bridge. Clean and inspect the two trem mounting posts and the trem plate knife edges. A small amount of lubricant might not hurt. Clean and lubricate the nut slots and the tops of the saddles. For lube you can use pencil lead, chapstick, vaseline, lithium grease, or mineral oil but what ever you choose, only use the smallest amount necessary. (You only need a thin film, too much can cause other problems). For the nut slots, I apply with needle or tooth pick, one small drop can do two or three strings, for anything else I use one drop of 3-n-1 oil on a cotton swab (or the even the tip of your finger).

When you string up, make sure the ball ends are fully seated in the trem block. Assuming you have locking tuners (which you should on that guitar) align the holes straight down the neck. With one hand pull the strings straight through the hole, tight, and with the other hand engage the string locks firmly (but don't crank them). With the strings installed, tune up to pitch, then grab a string and lightly stretch it. Alternately re-tune and stretch, until the string doesn't de-tune when stretched. Repeat for all strings.

If you have tuning issues when bending notes or using the trem, try out my tuning stability checklist for ideas.

As I said, if all else fails, get in touch with Music Man customer service. They are the best in the business.

Last edited:

Leftyjay

I removed a spring and tIghten the claw's screws. Angled it a bit. Put some lub in the nut (always make me giggle a bit :)). Way better but not 100% perfect. I'm on my way to solve this :) since this thread is open, mind to share how you setup yours ?

Edit : you posted while I was typping ! Great info thanks ! That's what i tough about the claw angle since the tremol-no requires the claw to be straight...

Here's a pic :

c97e3bf2.jpg

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Great guitar! Gorgeous colour on a Silhouette.

BTW, how's that tone? I love that humbucker, with a clean tone I can sit for hours just making up chords and enjoying the textures and colours. Beautiful!

Last edited:
Top Bottom