• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dibart77

Hi everyone! Thanks again for all the cool posts on NYNGD #1, #2 and #3! To clear up one misunderstanding that I saw from yesterday: I did not just buy these guitars in the past week -- I accumulated a few in the past year and realized I had neglected to add them to my Guitar Gallery site. So since I have a new PDN coming (which arrived yesterday and is MIND BLOWING), I thought it would be fun to NGD each of these leading up to the NGD of the PDN!

So, let's get on with another belated NGD: NYNGD (New Year's New Guitar Day) Number 4!

Today we have another Silhouette Classic Reissue, this time in Translucent Purple:

photo_0004_nologo.jpg

photo_0001.jpg

photo_0002.jpg

photo_0003.jpg

Ahhh. Translucent Purple. Ahhh.

The color on these just rocks -- it's so bold that it grabs your attention, yet it isn't gaudy. This is another guitar that just WORKS... feels amazing and sounds killer!

I'll be back tomorrow with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day! Thanks for joining me on this journey!

(P.S. The first photo is the "official" Music Man glamour shot, not mine.)

Last edited:

peterd79

so how many NYNGD possts before the PDN??

i'm really enjoying these posts... you're collection of fine instruments and musical tools are mind blowing... thanks for sharing.

mikeller

I am with acwild - the pickup covers take that fantastic guitar right over the edge!!!! Congrats!!!! <<<Subliminal message: sell it to me, sell it to me, sell it to me>>>

wolfbone07

Admire your Silos. I had to go pull my Silo out and play it after seeing yours. I hadn't played it in a while, but I couldn't put it down. Thanks for sharing.

dibart77

so how many NYNGD possts before the PDN??

i'm really enjoying these posts... you're collection of fine instruments and musical tools are mind blowing... thanks for sharing.

Thanks @peterd79! I gots a couple more up my sleeve before the PDN... Always happy to share with folks who love these things as much as I do!

Another keeper!

For sure, @guitarp77! I LOVE this purple finish!

Awesome man! Keep these posts coming ;-)

Thanks @BartB! Will do!

Looks like a tasty lollipop. I love the chrome pickup covers on this.

@acwild: That's a good analogy. It does look like a lolly pop or, even better, a Jolly Rancher -- you can JUST make out the grain through the translucent finish, so it kind of looks like a see-thru candy!

I am with acwild - the pickup covers take that fantastic guitar right over the edge!!!! Congrats!!!! <<<Subliminal message: sell it to me, sell it to me, sell it to me>>>

@mikeller: <<<Subliminal message: offer Jeff $4000, offer Jeff $4000, offer Jeff $4000 >>> :D

Good JOb - what line of work are you in ??- I'm clearly not paid enough ! :-D

@Smelly: Actually, I am unemployed right now from the day job. :( Long f'ing story about Corporate America evil... So I'm focusing on music and my family a lot lately.

Jeff's a Gigolo!

@Dr.Strangenote: :eek: How did you find out?!?

Ya gotta love Purple! Very nice, Jeff!

@browndog: As I said, "Ahhh. Translucent Purple. Ahhh." Thanks!

Amazing my favorite so far is the pbb. But this one is killing too
Sorry, doesn't do it for me I still prefer the blueburst.

Hmmmm. Sounds like we have a battle brewing between the PBB and the Purple! Who will win?!? Purple, methinks.

My fav mate.

Thanks @Jonny Dubai!

I must be doing it wrong because it costs me money to be a gigolo. :)

Me too. Which is why I got married. And that costs me friggin money too! Can't win!

Admire your Silos. I had to go pull my Silo out and play it after seeing yours. I hadn't played it in a while, but I couldn't put it down. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, @wolfbone07. Silo's (especially 24 fret Floyd Silos) are the sh!t. Hands down. Like I said, by beat up black one is still my #1 guitar (out of approx 70).

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! More NYNGD goodness tomorrow!

jvh

I like your collection, but I have to ask what do you do with all these? Do you play them?

dibart77

I like your collection, but I have to ask what do you do with all these? Do you play them?

Hey @jvh:

Thanks for the question.

Certainly I don't have this many guitars because I NEED them. I could probably get by with 3-4 for different tones, etc. So I am definitely a collector. Having said that, except for my EVH's and a few of the more rare guitars, everything in my collection is fair game to be played any day. Probably 80% of my guitars have been recorded, and probably 50% of my guitars have been played live on stage.

So, why do I have this many guitars? Because I am passionate about EBMM guitars. I love them. I am addicted to them. The only thing better than one EBMM guitar is two! What can I say?!?

I know a lot of folks here probably think I am an overkill guy with too much money who spends like a fool, and maybe even some think I'm a jerk (although I hope not?). What it really boils down to is that I have worked 100 hours/week for the past 15 years and have a pretty good thing going. My passion is guitars -- specifically EBMM guitars -- and music, and I spend my money on what I'm passionate about. Too many people work like dogs to make good money but then they just save the money in the bank and obsess over their account balance. I choose to spend it (after doing all the responsible stuff like retirement funds and saving for my kids' college, etc.). Having said that, I know most guys here work hard just to get by and maybe can pull off one new guitar a year if the stars align, or maybe need to sell one to buy another. That was me for many years... I'm the son of a plumber, I started working full-time at a deli when I was in 7th grade, and have been working full-time since then. But I've been blessed and my hard work and maybe some luck and maybe some good choices have delivered me where I am.

Hopefully most of the folks here get the vibe from me that I am down to earth, not an egomaniac, not cocky, and not trying to rub anybody's nose in the fact that I have been blessed and have some bucks and spend my money. Hopefully most of the folks here -- and I sincerely get this vibe -- enjoy living vicariously through me and think it's fun and cool to come along for the ride. Kind of like that buddy of yours who seems to get all the girls (which I was definitely not that guy) -- you can either be jealous of the guy or high five him and listen to his stories! I've always been one of those high-fivers.

Having said all that, I am now out of work so my guitar acquiring belt is going to be tightened for a while.... :-(

Side note: I know guys who have single guitars that are worth 8 or 9 EBMM's (like 1959 LP's and stuff), which makes NO sense to me. But to each his own! I, for one, prefer quantity. Especially since I think many new EBMM's kick the asses of some beat up old Fend**s or Gib***s.

Thanks again for your question @jvh! I hope this answers your question but also gets at the underlying question (which I think is what you were really driving at?).

Regards,
Jeff

ebmm_sig_wht.jpg

Last edited:

acwild

Certainly I don't have this many guitars because I NEED them. I could probably get by with 3-4 for different tones, etc. So I am definitely a collector.

I know a lot of folks here probably think I am an overkill guy with too much money who spends like a fool, and maybe even some think I'm a jerk (although I hope not?).

Hopefully most of the folks here get the vibe from me that I am down to earth, not an egomaniac, not cocky, and not trying to rub anybody's nose in the fact that I have been blessed and have some bucks and spend my money. Hopefully most of the folks here -- and I sincerely get this vibe -- enjoy living vicariously through me and think it's fun and cool to come along for the ride.

You are not a collector. You are The Collector! :D Count me in as the vicarious type. I love seeing your latest acquisitions. If I had the means, I'd be doing the same thing.
Sorry to hear that you're out of work though. I hope you get back soon. Meanwhile... Keep 'em coming! :cool:

jvh

Excellent explanation... I more or less just wanted to make sure I'm not turning into you. All kidding aside I really do like the collection. I have a big collection myself for my age, but a lot of my acquisitions have been made out of sickness. I didn't think I was going to live anymore so I thought heck I'll buy guitars... Now I may actually make it through, but I don't really want to talk about sickness nor do I need any sympathy... It's just part of how my acquisitions came about. After I bought all these guitars I realized I just need one guitar. I've learned a lot about simplicity, but I'm still tainted by the societal obsessions for more when it comes to guitars.

I don't think anyone here really rags publicly on anyone for having the money to buy guitars. There will always be people though that despise others for what they have. It's funny I'm sure people wanted some of the things I've had up until I got sick. Things are things... They can't buy happiness so usually when people are jealous they aren't happy in the first place. So all the money in the world for guitars wouldn't satisify what they need. I'm sure you know that. Anyways, yeah you seem down to earth and I'm by no means insinuating that it's unacceptable to own the amount of guitars that you have.

Anyways, it's a great collection. Thank you for sharing it and I'm glad you can give yourself the permission to play them!

NorM

24 frets just makes the math easier

I really love my natural SiLO
it is what I really wanted

Yours are quite stunning no doubt

Top Bottom