• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Big Poppa

Ive learned over the years and not just from guitars but from the design world...primarily cars that many great classic designs are met with very strong resistance.....The most recent example is the Armada. This is the first guitar that I have zero involvement with It is Dudles and Scottys baby.

I love it. I love the initial comments where people didn't like the looks....WHy because it is what is called disruptive design.....it comes at you from such a different place that your initial reaction is "Change? I dont want for change...I didnt ask for change.....I dont like it"

Now many may never like it but the truly great disruptive design grows on you and there is a moment where you embrace it....Im watching this happen in the sneak peek section.... There is a color or angle presented and the next thing is that people are saying wait a minute I thought I hated this guitar...I kind of like itMakes me confident in the guitar!

BTW the guitar is so fun to play and sounds great Dudley and Scotty and crew did a fabulous job

PY38

I believe the V and Explorer were met with heavy hesitation by the general public and critics until they were played by the people they were actually made for.....lol

Now they are staples.......good points BP

KazJY

Yeah, right on.

I was like this initially with the Albert Lee body shape, and I love it now.

Disruptive design - I didn't know there was a term for this, but it makes sense!

beej

Wise words.

I'm so often surprised how I love things I didn't like at first. Music, clothes, you name it. The stuff that really lasts grows on you.

And regardless of what people think, good on you guys for trying new things and pushing people out of their comfort zone.

Now where's that Bongo guitar ... ha ha.

Mpcoluv

BP, you are absolutely correct.
People fear change. Once people handle the guitar, the perception will change. The function of a guitar can not be easily judged by looks alone. There are NO EBMM guitars that are a direct copy of a traditional design. I am sure this is not by accident. The Armada will gain a following over time. As long as it plays good and sounds good, folks will buy them. The "Big 2" manufacturers fit and finish (especially fretwork) is not up to par with EBMM. I doubt a current LP wil play better than the Armada.

guitarp77

I was one of those who hated it at the beginning, since I didn´t knew what to think.

Know that I see it finished, I like it a lot! I wanna see it "in person" and play it!

luv

I've liked it all along. The black offering was just icing on the cake. As always, thanks for sharing and thanks for caring.

JDguitar

For the record, I always loved the Armada. :). Just don't put a family crest in the middle of the fretboard. Lol

Lou

I think when it comes down to it a player can make any guitar work. I was not that hot on the looks at first, but the trans black looks fab. What is the list on these, BP?

Roubster

From the design perspective, I think it is really cool and fresh and just a piece of amazing art work. It's all in the details. I can totally see myself owning this guitar and literally having it on the wall to admire like a great painting. Of course the cool thing about it is that you can plug it into an amp and rock out! :D

walleye

far too many people are hung up on looks. who cares? if its a good guitar then thats all that matters. it reminds me of that youtube video that of that girl who got a car for her birthday but then she started crying because it was red

yan12

far too many people are hung up on looks. who cares? if its a good guitar then thats all that matters. it reminds me of that youtube video that of that girl who got a car for her birthday but then she started crying because it was red

Everything is Never Enough...DT

BP, you are a wise business man for sure. You can only lead from the front. I do what you do in a different line of work all together, but we get the same flack. I don't post anywhere on new designs. We show up at our show and folks go "Wow. Never thought of that but I don't like anyhow." I say good, I can sell it to someone else. Hundreds of units later we have the results we thought we would get.
Don't get me wrong, we have had products not sell that we thought were fantastic...you never know for sure. We have folks that use our products that are the best in the world at what they do, much like JP. Even those folks who would or do endorse a product do not guarantee sucesss...that comes from the genius that is you. Keep up the good work and I like the Armada.

NHsouthpaw

Like it was said before, guitarists are very resistant to change.
I liked the looks from the beginning. I always like different shaped guitars. Hell, I think the Bongo guitar "prototype" was gorgeous.

I always think it's funny when everyone on rips Gibson or Fender (or other "Classic" guitars) for being "stale" , but NEVER like it when they try something different.

Benji Peterson

BP that's a huge part of the attraction to MM for me. The great designs. They're bold and gutsy and I admire you and your team for having such impeccable taste. The new pic of that Sabre in blue just blew my lid! So anti-pop yet retro at the same time. I just love what gets the green light with you guys. Happy to say I own 10 of your guitars now! Haha.

CHill

If the Armada neck feels as great as any other EBMM necks, I fear that I will have to lay down my Visa. The NAMM pics look great. Hopefully a local shop brings one in. If not there the other guitars on my wish list: AL MM90, Luke III HSS and Super Sport MM90. Buy them, play them, keep them...then pass them on.

mikeller

I gotta say I was in the camp that loved from the second I saw it - fresh, original, very bad-a*&. Now seeing it in some other color combinations even add's to that.

Job very well done gents -

fbecir

I love original design and innovation.
But as a player, I look also at the ergonomic aspects.
My complain with the Armada is the position of the volume and tone knobs. For volume and tone swells, this position is not good at all.
The Morse guitar is the contrary : the look is "neutral" but all the ergonomic aspects are perfect (at least for people who like to do tone and volume swells and who feel obliged to change their pickup configuration every 3 notes !!!)

agt

I liked it when I first saw it and I like it even more now. I intend to buy one when they become available!

I hope it is a very successful launch for EBMM and embraced by those who know quality and appreciate innovation.

Top Bottom