• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Stratty316

I was thinking of buying a BFR AL and doing the same thing. I was also thinking of doing it with a regular AL as well...

kimonostereo

Hey Glen,
Not looking to trade, just curious if anyone had tried this and was willing to share the results.
kimonostereo's las post got me thinking....

http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/55322-albert-lee-hh-sss-neck-swap.html

Hmm. I would think it would add some sparkle with the maple top. I've never owned a BFR and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up Keith's Albert Lee BFR when he had it here. Just didn't have the funds at the time.

I'm loving the rosewood + Ash Albert Lee. It's my favorite guitar right now. Put a slight float in the bridge and it's great!
I'm probably going to put the Albert Lee HH with maple neck up for sale soon....

peterd79

Hmm. I would think it would add some sparkle with the maple top. I've never owned a BFR and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up Keith's Albert Lee BFR when he had it here. Just didn't have the funds at the time.

I'm loving the rosewood + Ash Albert Lee. It's my favorite guitar right now. Put a slight float in the bridge and it's great!
I'm probably going to put the Albert Lee HH with maple neck up for sale soon....

I missed buying Keiths BFR AL... by about an hour (i would guess) i had been contemplating it and had the funds... called and it was gone... BUMMER!!!

assMan

The BFR AL is an ablosutely amazing guitar. I got mine about a year ago from smd24fan who got it from PeteD. I am still amazed with it's tone and playability. I'd never liked maple fingerboards until this one. Playing it is a complete joy!

Norrin Radd

I've tried a few AL mongrels:

Here's an HH AL in an SSS/H config:

IMG_1773.jpg

And here's an HH AL with an ash body:

Alberts4.jpg

And a, well, um, SSS/H with a maple neck and African Mahogany body:

Alberts2.jpg

And finally, a standard AL in HH config:

IMG_1772.jpg

I think after all of this I need to try putting that RW neck on the ash body with the MM90s...........

Do I tinker too much????? :eek:

assMan

Hey Greg. Looks like you're having fun with your gear.
Is the neck swap pretty straight forward, or does anything need to be tweaked afterwards?

Norrin Radd

Hey Greg. Looks like you're having fun with your gear.
Is the neck swap pretty straight forward, or does anything need to be tweaked afterwards?

It really depends on the individual neck pockets & necks. The RW fits perfectly in the Ash body but the maple neck has a pretty sizable gap when on the HH body. They both fit their own bodies perfectly, so go figure! One of those times when A=B and B=C but A does not = C. Weird.

That was the only non straight forward thing. No shimming or anything else like that was needed.

Top Bottom