• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Spudmurphy

Here are the switching options for the 6165 pedal, some listed officially by Ernie Ball - some not!!

P2229053_zps38a74b65.jpg

6a95d6c1-3c72-45a2-b206-93372280fce7_zps31283813.jpg

The tests were conducted using a JP6 with Piezo, a Hardtail Albert Lee SSS with no Piezo, an EB 6165 pedal, AER acoustic amp and Blues Junior tube amp.

Mono leads out from guitar
Mono/Piezo (As described on the Pre amp of the guitar) output into Input A of the pedal.
Stereo/Mags output of the guitar into Input B of pedal

Mono leads out of pedal
Output A sending Piezo to AER
Output B sending Mags to Tube amp.

Stereo Lead from guitar output marked Stereo/Mag into Input B of the Pedal
Mono leads out of pedal
Output A sending Piezo to AER
Output B sending Mags to Tube amp.

Both the above options will allow you to pan between the two amps, or control volume of the two amps in tandem, depending on the toe switch selection. (Two toe switch selections only)

This test was conducted using the same amps but using an Albert Lee Hardtail with no Piezo
Mono output from guitar into Input A of Pedal
Mono leads out of pedal
Output A sending signal (magnetics) to AER
Output B sending same signal (magnetics) to Tube amp.

This option 3 will allow you to pan the magnetic signal between the two amps, or control volume of the two amps in tandem, depending on the toe switch selection.
I have used this option to run a tube amp and a voice box (an amp converted to be a voice box. Just imagine you are playing e.g. Framptons "show me the way". You can merrily play the song through the tube amp. When it comes to the voice box bit, the pedal will now switch the signal just to the voice box, and of course back again to complete the song)

Here's where it gets weird and thanks to Beej for "seeing" this.

Plugging the JP6 guitar into the A + B Outputs of the Pedal, then running the one amp using a lead from Input A of the pedal, will pan between the mag and piezo into the one amp. Great for hands free switching between the Piezo and the mags. Remember, the JP6 has a toggle switch to do that - The Albert Lee /silo/ Axis does not have a toggle and you would normally have to rely on controlling the mags and Piezo with the separate volume controls.

the same effect can be obtained by:-

Stereo Lead from Stereo/Mags output of guitar into the Output B of the pedal
Mono lead from
Input A of the pedal to the amp works the same as above.

Here's a few old video clips that also help to explain.

If you come across another permutation, then let us know?

SDC10660 - YouTube

SDC10668 - YouTube

and here's one of the mono Albert split between two separate amps

SDC10943.AVI - YouTube

here's a bit of info from Beej regarding buffered stereo and mono outputs ... ...

The mono output on the JP gives you a buffered combination of mags and piezo, while the stereo output gives you both a passive mag signal and a buffered piezo signal.

Some people like the passive output from the mags better and prefer to load their signal a bit rather than having a buffer right at the start. Then again, some people like the opposite ...

you can't simply connect the T and R of the stereo cable because of the different impedances. You need to buffer the signals before you mix them, either through the onboard electronics (using the mono output) or an external mixer (using two separate signals).

.... all this was in reply to a thread at
http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/55838-cable-john-petrucci-6-w-piezzo.html#post910405

Last edited:

Spudmurphy

I received a query via pm and thought I'd add it to this thread.

Re: EB Stereo 6165

Hi Spud,

i was going through some threads and found that you are the guy to talk to regarding the EB Stereo 6165.

i've got a question that i hope you can answer.

i've got a MM silhouette with piezo option and i was wondering how this pedal can help to switch between magnetic and piezo signal
what im looking for right now is a clean switch from magnetic (clean or distorted) to piezo signal, havent ventured so much into panning between the 2 signals yet.
and as im sure you know, the silhouette doesnt come with a toggle switch for both signals so instead of lowering 1 volume and increasing the other to switch signals, will the pedal do the job of switching the signals with both volume knobs turned up?

hope you understand my question and i look forward to your reply!
thank you

Hi
The piezo set up on your silo is the same as on my Albert Lee which also has no toggle switch.
The 6165 stereo pedal has no "switch" in it (like on a wah wah). It should do what you are after though, without having to use the volume controls on your guitar. You can use the pedal by having the magnetic signal in the toe up position and the piezo in the toe down (or the other way around if you wish). You can then switch between the two types of pickup quite easily. Any other queries let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Spud.

Follow up :-

So the EB 6165 is a passive pedal?

how does it compare to something like this? in terms of what im trying to achieve?
startouchpedals ABY stereo pedal

Hi.
That splitter box would work fine for you. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the 6165 pedal:-
Splitter box takes just a stereo lead input, ssplitting the signal to seperate mag/piezo
6165 pedal will take a stereo lead in or separate (2) mono leads in from the silo preamp

The splitter will give you either mags or piezo or both (all) combined. By all I mean at full volume on each, unless of course you have turned either the mag volume or piezo volume down on the guitar.

The 6165 pedal can provide a blend of the two signals - - a bit more on the piezo spectrum or a bit more on the mag spectrum. The splitter will not.

The 6165 pedal does a lot more besides as detailed in my thread.

The splitter box is a lot cheaper than the 6165 - but doesn't have the capability of the MM pedal.

The 6165 is built like a tank .... and is passive.

Just come back if you have ant more queries or want me to clarify things.

Spud

Ginkowatt

Greetings. I have had this pan pedal for years and its great. I use to it split my signal and use an sub octave pedal in to a bass amp for some really rich and heavy tones. But recently I purchased a "submarine" pick up. I have attempted to use input B (simultaneously with Input A). But from reading aboe I gather than Input B is a stereo input. My question is... is it possible to use both inputs on the 6615 and have Pan and Volume options for both outs? I also have a couple of stereo effect pedals that I may be able to use before the 6615 if that would help in anyway (like sending two mono signals into a stereo pedal and using the stereo out into Input B????). I am not putting any brand names in this comment (third attempt) as I seem to be having issues getting this post to stick. Please, if you can, also send me an email with any responses. I am having trouble staying logged in on the forum and navigating to this Thread. Cheers and Happy New Years. Any advise here would be greatly appreciated.

Spudmurphy

Sorry, I don't have access to this pedal at the moment, as it is in storage.
i can't offer a reply - but as you already have one, I'm sure that you can work it out? When you do, let us see your results?

Top Bottom