• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JOEinCA

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and really happy to see there's a great community of Musicman enthusiasts trading thoughts here. I need to just say right from the start that I'm a bit embarrassed by the fact that so many years passed by and I was blind to the fact of just how great the Bongo basses are. I never really payed attention to them, mainly due to aesthetics and my unwillingness to break from the common bass guitar paradigms. It wasn't until just a couple weeks ago when I walked in to my local guitar store that everything changed. I spent some time there rummaging through the different basses Stingrays regular/classic..Am Fenders P/Jazz and was actually walking out of the bass section when a guy (non-employee) asked if I had played the Bongo. I replied nah..not for me. He said well, I think its the best sounding bass in this store and you ought to try it out some time. I kind of reluctantly grabbed it..it was bright orange and all...and started to play it. With every note I became increasingly impressed with such a balanced tone from string to sting and the sounds were so good. I left the store and was very confused. I mean..I really wanted a SR classic but this odd looking Bongo just wouldn't leave my mind. I did some further research about this bass that I didn't know much at all about other than it sounds better than anything I've ever laid my hands on. The more I read about it and the more I learned, the more I wanted it. This is the bass I must own!

I found this bass new and now I want it. One issue is that its not local to me so I will need to have it shipped and the other thing is its not the HH config i played in the store..its H. Now I have seen some comments on these forums about how great that H config is and I actually do believe this is what I want. I think I would prefer no neck pickup so slapping is a bit more comfy..and the bass is somewhat more simplified. So...before I drop the cash on this bad boy ..am I missing anything here? I don't see much of the single H configs out there...maybe there is ...but anyone have some insight on HH vs. H or even HS? What do you think about me buying this bass I haven't played? I know the MM basses are built with such high quality that its a safe assumption it will be okay. Btw..I'm purchasing from a MM dealer. Comments?..answers?

Thanks!
Joe

Mabongohogany

Lots of love spoken loudly on Forum for single H Bongos. "Sweet Spot, bla bla bla"
Nice...
But ask me about my BLEND CONTROL!!:D

(and notice my avatar.....)

mmbassplayer

You will not be disappointed with the single H... I like the simple controls and 3 band eq. If you were a fan of the HH you will love the H (even more!). This is someone with a long history of Bongo love...
328CC444-C1C4-4011-9EC9-F40DBCE4D127-778-000000625B18013F.jpg

bongo5-1.jpg

bongos1.jpg

bongo1.jpg

bongo1.jpg

stu42

Single H Bongo is my personal favourite. I had an HS previously and it was cool too but the Single H just really does it for me. As you say, it is more simplified and really easy to dial in for great sounds. The HH and HS can cover more ground because of the dual pickups and the blend control but, despite that, they can't sound like a Single H. One key thing about the Single H is that it's pickup is in the normal "sweet spot" - like a Stingray and most other Music Man basses - whereas the HH and HS Bongos have their bridge pickup closer to the bridge.

However, that is all just theory and is mostly information that will confuse your brain. Go with your gut. More is not necessarily more. The differences between the models do create different sounds but, without a doubt, the Single H is a winner. Oh...and the Bongo H also happens to be Sterling Ball's favorite bass (last time I heard) so....you're in good company if you get the Bongo H. :)

The Single H Bongo is very hard to find - either new in the store or on the used market - so if you found one and like it then go for it. If you want to get an HH and don't mind buying used you can almost always find them for sale on Ebay or on the forums.

That's my two cents.

five7

Love my HH, tried a H for a couple of weeks and sold it. Go all the way if you can and get a HHP. Talk about horsepower.

Gravesend Black

One key thing about the Single H is that it's pickup is in the normal "sweet spot" - like a Stingray and most other Music Man basses - whereas the HH and HS Bongos have their bridge pickup closer to the bridge.

I've heard quite opposite opinion on this forum. Someone here told me that Bongo H is the only bass that has "it's own sweet spot place" different to the other single H models.

Just asking. I'm interested in this bass too so I'd like to know about single H one in case I'm in love with my single H SR5.

keko

I'll be a proud Bongo club member too, I hope very soon!

My 5 H is on the way..., it should be in factory production process somewhere..., I think!

Mabongohogany

Yeap... and notice mine :D
Yeah, I notice...
You have no BLEND CONTROL.:D

they can't sound like a Single H

Yes, they can. Played a number of "H" variants, and the so-called "sweet spot special harmonic zone "
lies WELL within the HH capabilities...and then some.
YMMV.:cool:

Last edited:

BassTractor

Sorry, but this is really BASIC stuff:

10 BUY Bongo
20 ENJOY
30 IF GAS THEN
. . 40 CHECK pu configuration, quantity of strings and presence of thin metal strips on neck
. . 50 BUY Bongo
60 ENDIF
70 GOTO 20

This program is tested and bug free, and I'm sticking by it.
BTW, I have different programs as well. They run simultaneously.

best,
bert

PS
The program CAN be stopped - by dying.
So there.

Last edited:

stu42

they can't sound like a Single H

Yes, they can. Played a number of "H" variants, and the so-called "sweet spot special harmonic zone "
lies WELL within the HH capabilities...and then some.
YMMV.:cool:

What "H variants" are you talking about? Have you directly compared a Bongo H to a Bongo HH or HS?

I heartily disagree with you. I owned a Bongo HS and an H at the same time and they are just different animals. You can try to make the HS (which sounds very similar to an HH but, as everyone says, a little more polite or mild) sound like the H but in my opinion you cannot come nearly close enough to claim that the HH can sound the same as an H - no matter how you turn the knobs. Likewise, the H cannot sound like the HH or H/S.

I think if you're just sitting in the store and spend 5 minutes comparing two basses (or amps/speaker cabs etc) you might think they sound very similar but longer-term experience will definitely show the differences - unless you just have a very loose standard for what you think sounds "the same".

stu42

I've heard quite opposite opinion on this forum. Someone here told me that Bongo H is the only bass that has "it's own sweet spot place" different to the other single H models.

Not sure where you heard that but the Bongo H has the pickup in the same position relative to the bridge as the Stingray, Sterling, Reflex HH. I even verified this myself back when I owned my Sterling H and first received my Bongo H (yes...I'm kind of a nerd that way).

Despite that, the Bongo H does not sound like a Sterling or Stingray or Reflex. Pickup position is only one aspect of the design of these basses. There are significant differences in their individual tones/sounds. Even just knowing that the coils of the Bongo are wired in Parallel doesn't tell you much about the way it sounds and feels. You have to experience it to know how it sounds. It's tempting to try to generalize about how an instrument will sound based on some specs or appearance but I find that knowing the specs really doesn't tell you much.

JOEinCA

Thanks for all the input everyone. I feel good about going with the single H config..even at the cost of some blend ;-). I see a new black one on Ebay that looks good. Just not sure if I want that or if I should order one. I'd like a roasted creamy white or black (like stu42's 5) if possible ...I'll prob give basscentral a call on that ..or maybe grab that black one on Ebay.

oddjob

What "H variants" are you talking about? Have you directly compared a Bongo H to a Bongo HH or HS?

I heartily disagree with you. I owned a Bongo HS and an H at the same time and they are just different animals. You can try to make the HS (which sounds very similar to an HH but, as everyone says, a little more polite or mild) sound like the H but in my opinion you cannot come nearly close enough to claim that the HH can sound the same as an H - no matter how you turn the knobs. Likewise, the H cannot sound like the HH or H/S.

I think if you're just sitting in the store and spend 5 minutes comparing two basses (or amps/speaker cabs etc) you might think they sound very similar but longer-term experience will definitely show the differences - unless you just have a very loose standard for what you think sounds "the same".

Agree. They are VERY different animals. I have owned all 3 (and one with the P variant). There is a range that H hits that the others, even with a blend, can't. That isn't to say that they are inferior... they aren't. They are simply and sonicly different. The H brings a growl in the mids the others can't touch (and I have tried). Even the EQ (3 vs. 4 band) does some monstrously different shaping. I love my new HH don't get me wrong, but I have been through 7 or so of them. The only basses that have remained with me are my two H's.

Mabongohogany

What "H variants" are you talking about?
Have you directly compared a Bongo H to a Bongo HH or HS?

Did the word "variants throw you?? Let's see there's the H, HH, & HS.
Didn't I state that I played a number of them?? Would you like a log of playing time on each or something??

I totally disagree with you as well.:mad:

Your ears are not like mine; I can get the fabled "sweet spot" sound from a HH "Variant".
IF you feel that you can tell me that I can't. Yeaahh right, good luck with that!

They are simply and sonicly different. The H brings a growl in the mids the others can't touch (and I have tried).

I don't think so, but if you do... Try harder.
Enjoy your bass.

As I do mine.:D

Top Bottom