• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Casper

My new LIII got stuck this weekend with the pre-amp push/push pot stuck in the on position. Talked with EBMM today (AJ was real nice)..it seems that I need to send the whole pre-amp and pot back to EBMM. I think it might be simpler to just send the guitar to them as I need to un-solder about 10 wires to get it loose.
I'm bummed. By the time I pay a tech to remove it and re-install (becausee I am all thumbs with this stuff)..I could pay for express shipping to CA.

Have any new LIII owners had this problem and do any of the moderators know about this? Or better yet, any quick fixes? I was hoping it was just going to be the pot-change out thing..now I have to be without my LII for a few weeks :(
Any thoughts?

ily

You are not the first ....
Immagine you bought it used in US and you leave in France
You can't do anything imposdible to find only the pot and it's impossible to
Get a new preamp even you buy it

I'm find this very great. and it 's a real case arrived for my best Friend
He plays his L3 with the preamp always engaged
This story is a nightmare
A french reseller said to him that isn 't rare and he have changed a few time this part
On his show room models

All is good in the better world

Casper

Sorry to hear this as well. I will say this..If I have to go through this more than once, I will be retro-fitting some EMGs or Tom Anderson pickups into the LIII...period.

mikeller

Sorry to hear this as well. I will say this..If I have to go through this more than once, I will be retro-fitting some EMGs or Tom Anderson pickups into the LIII...period.

I will comment that the pups on the L3 are killer and the preamp does a fantastic job not only with the boost but with the output balance between the 5 switch settings. Hopefully you can get this quickly rectified.

Casper

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I was getting ready to pack up the LIII for shipment back to EBMM and I tried out the preamp pot a couple of times and it kept "catching"...so much so that it made me wonder if the knob was situated correctly. Sure enough, the tension on the allen screw was barely there..the knob had slipped down the shaft. I re-positioned it higher on the shaft and tightened the hell out of it....works perfectly. I called AJ back and he (as I) were relieved! AJ said there were only a "few" issues with these anyway. SO!..pass this thread around to anyone who may be having the same issue....WHEW!!!!!!

look_at_her

Hey Casper,
the same thing happened to me a while ago,loose knob. When I saw a thread starter just wanted to suggest checking it,but you have solved it :). Enjoy your Luke,one great guitar!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I was getting ready to pack up the LIII for shipment back to EBMM and I tried out the preamp pot a couple of times and it kept "catching"...so much so that it made me wonder if the knob was situated correctly. Sure enough, the tension on the allen screw was barely there..the knob had slipped down the shaft. I re-positioned it higher on the shaft and tightened the hell out of it....works perfectly. I called AJ back and he (as I) were relieved! AJ said there were only a "few" issues with these anyway. SO!..pass this thread around to anyone who may be having the same issue....WHEW!!!!!!

TSHOW

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Such great news........., but I must say that I had to return one of my new guitars for a repair and they had it fixed and shipped out within a few days....Customer service is great if you ever need them..fyi.....:)

ily

happy for you if all is good you have a good CS in your country not in mine ....it's a pity

Casper

Thanks all! I am relieved. Seems all the good guitars are made in California..unfortunately I am on the opposite coast...wasn't looking forward to shiping my new axe. AJ was a prince though. I am a former Tom Anderson player and the customer service was excellent, so far I am impressed!

ksandvik

It's good to check the pots and other screws once a year or so on guitars, depending on how much gigging is done various screws could get very loose (worst case fall off...)

69tele

thanks for posting this I had exactly the same issue and it helped

Craiguitar

When I recieved my LIII the push/push volume pot fell right off in my hand the first time I touched it. I reattached it and quickly figured out that it needed to be positioned higher up the pot shaft in order to work properly. I did wonder why it was so loose to begin with though.

pjbands

MM luke 3 push push fault

My new LIII got stuck this weekend with the pre-amp push/push pot stuck in the on position. Talked with EBMM today (AJ was real nice)..it seems that I need to send the whole pre-amp and pot back to EBMM. I think it might be simpler to just send the guitar to them as I need to un-solder about 10 wires to get it loose.
I'm bummed. By the time I pay a tech to remove it and re-install (becausee I am all thumbs with this stuff)..I could pay for express shipping to CA.

Have any new LIII owners had this problem and do any of the moderators know about this? Or better yet, any quick fixes? I was hoping it was just going to be the pot-change out thing..now I have to be without my LII for a few weeks :(
Any thoughts?

I have had the same problem with my Luke 3, it was always a bit sticky and now it won't lock in to position,
it stays on boost all the time. Has anyone found a quick fix ? Or do i have to return it to the shop ??
thanks paul

GWDavis28

HOLY THREAD SURRECTIONS!!!!

Drop customer service a call or email, see what they think or if they can help you out.

Good luck, Glenn |B)

tbonesullivan

I would take the knob off by loosening the set screw, and see if you can get the shaft to pop in and out by itself. If not, maybe try a bit of tri-flow lubricant on the shaft.

If that doesn't work, definitely contact CS.

mr.b

I had the same fault with my L3 HH not long into it's first year. I took it back to my retailer who replaced it swiftly with a push/pull type as it was going to take a LOOOOONG time for MM to ship a push/push replacement. This is something linked back with the other thread on shipping times to the UK which I totally understand the whole 'batch shipping due to cost' scenario.

In the end Merchant City Music came through for me with no gripes or grumbles at all and I've had no issues since.

Top Bottom