• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

moanjam

Does anyone knows the final grade of sandpaper grit used at the factory before applying the oil/wax finish? I recently sanded one of my necks with a final grade of 320 grit but I'm not sure if this is feeling like a typical EBMM finish. I know Drew eluded to using 600 and 1000 grit when cleaning a dirty neck in his video but is 1000 the final grit when a brand new neck is completed off the assembly line before applying the oil and wax?

NickLee

I don't want to speak for the factory, but I've used 1000-1500 as a final grade. I also think you use 0000 grade steel wool to get ride of the lines and swirls caused by the sandpaper.

Jack FFR1846

If you're talking BEFORE you put on the tru oil, that's way too fine. You want the tru oil to have something to bite into. 400 or even 320 or less is fine. I do this treatment with other brand necks and end with 320. I've done a couple dozen necks. I can't say that I do it exactly factory, but I do it the same way everytime.

moanjam

I was thinking the same - that anything above 320 would be too fine and the grain wouldn't be open enough for the oil to set in. *If* this is how they do it at the factory, then what are the next steps? Do they then sand with 600 and 1000 grit like Drew did in the neck cleaning/maintenance video before applying the wax? This is what I want to know.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If EBMM recommend 600 - 1000 then I won't second guess them. What they use in the factory I can't tell you but I would imagine it's the similar. Personally, I like 1200 grit. Of course, feel free to go as smooth as you like.

I've just asked a wood-savvy buddy of mine about the oil absorption thing. He is of the opinion that oil will be taken up by the wood irrespective of the sanding grit. It is not necessary to sand coarser for better oil absorption. And also remember that we are not 'finishing' the neck in the way the people would normally use an oil and wax finish for a gun stock or guitar body. It really is the lightest of surface treatments rather than a finish.

Also a good rule of thumb for wood finishing is this - when you can't distinguish the sanding scratches from the grain, you're pretty much good to go.

beej

Go with the EBMM recommendation (duh). I finish with 1200 when I do mine. You want the neck feeling as smooth as possible before you apply the oil.

moanjam

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I think I'll move up to 1000 grit and then apply the oil and see how it feels. But if anyone finds out exactly what the last grit is applied at the factory before oiling, please post! Thanks again!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Just thought I would add to this old thread for reference, you can happily go as low as 400 grit or even lower if you like. last time I did my Silhouette Special, I did 1200 grit. It felt so smooth compared to my brand new Cutlass it felt like it was lacquered and I decided that I'd like it be closer in feel to the Cutlass. The answer was 360 grit. Feels great.

Last edited:

spychocyco

Not sure about what the factory uses, but I really like the feel of 2000 grit before the wax. Like Pete said, it gives it a very glassy finish that still feels like wood -- smooth and fast.

MM Luke

Oil soap, 600grit, 1000grit, 1200grit, oilsoap, and then buff with wax works for me. Sometimes 1500 as last sand.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Twang Banger

Does this process apply to both music man maple (including roasted maple) and rosewood necks???

Last edited:
Top Bottom