• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Roubster

So lets see what you guys have. What pedals do you guys use that are a must in your rig? Which one is your favorite, and the one that is absolutely essential for you?

I've been on a quest to put together my perfect board, so I can take it anywhere with my and plug into any amp and get "my" tone. I have never been happier with my tone as I am right now. Just got the Empress Tape Delay which is really amazing. Delay is my favorite effect and absolutely must have one at all times. The 3 gain pedals I have allow me to play anything from blues to fusion to metal and anything in between.

Right now if I had to pick two pedals to gig with, and someone gave me a Fender amp, I would take the Xts Atomic OD and the Empress Tape Delay. The Atomic is by FAR the best musical and authentic sounding distortion box I've ever played. I've been through a Wampler Pinnacle, Suhr Riot and a MI Audio Megalith. All of those were great, but this one surpasses them all when it comes to playing both rhythm and lead. Last night at a jam session with couple buddies, the Atomic sounded much better than the JCM900 through a 4x12 that was there!

Anyway, lets see what you guys like.

Roubster

The Flux Drive is awesome! I've been searching for the smoothest warmest OD I could find. I did tons or research, and looked at demos, and tried whatever I could in stores. This one is perfect for the fusion lead stuff. It does not have a ton of gain, but has this warm singing vocal quality. The midrange is not overpowering, and is very versatile with the baxandall tone stack with the bass and treble knobs...like the BB. It can get a nice crunch out of it, and also can be used to push an overdriven amp more. But I use it as a standalone drive for fusion stuff, and push that with the BB for more gain and lead tone. The Flux just has these beautiful overtones going on and "feels" great playing it. Has a bit of sag to it, but not too much which I like.

jkruger03

B4584634-572B-4432-93B5-3C74EF1B9F1C-2358-000001B343700150_zps79cafa9e.jpg

CCC216F6-CA79-4DE6-AE2D-2B151032B783-2319-000001B0A7726CF4_zpsd3c91dfe.jpg

mikeller

Hey Mike, so I see you got rid of the Pinnacle as well. You like the Barber better?

I replaced a Wampler Ecstasy with the Barber Small Fry. The Ecstasy was very smooth and transparent, almost too much. When I played live it almost didn't offer anything. The SF is a little more aggressive.

I still have the Pinnacle Deluxe and will sometimes flip it with the Riot. I find them similar, but with my rig I find the Riot a bit smoother. I used a M/I Audio Crunchbox before the Riot. Very similar too. If I had it to do over again I'd have probably stayed there and save $$$$ LOL.... I too have a BB but haven't used it for a while but its a killer pedal. The knobs however frustrate my old eyes on a stage!

That automatic OD looks interesting....not familiar with it at all.

Roubster

Check out Pete Thorns demo of it. Only demo that does it justice. But there are so many more tones in it as well. Really really powerful and useful EQ section throughout the entire range.

cionian

Guitar into amp into gt8 via parallel loop for delay only via footpedal.. I don't like effects, they make you lazy :)

nobozos

I built an ITS8 pedal from General Guitar Gadgets with the "Very Expensive Boutique Mod". Basically a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive circuit. It has the options of Asymmetric clipping, LED clipping, or bypass of the clipping. It's a Tube Screamer on steroids, with clipping options. From 11 o'clock on down on the drive and level knobs, it's pretty much a TS808 with better tone. Upwards of 11 o'clock, it's a monster. I run it into a PRS SE 30 amp, into which I have installed a Hellatone 60 (Celestion Vintage 30 with the suspension exercised for 15 hours). That's it. I run my lead channel volume very low with the lead channel master up, and the clean channel volume high with the clean channel master down. With the ITS8 on, it makes my clean channel an outstanding crunch rhythm channel, and my lead channel a very toneful high gain lead channel. With the ITS8 off, it makes the clean channel a nice blues clean, and the lead channel a good heavy blues dirt.

I've tried adding other pedals like delay, chorus, and compressors, but it just doesn't sound as good as using the amp's on-board reverb with the ITS8 straight into it.

Benji Peterson

I spent a few years going through various stages with large pedal boards but sold them all off for my Axe FX II. The Axe FX II is easily the best investment in amp/effects gear I've ever made. Life is simple, ANY tone is super easy to achieve with limitless possibilities at your fingertips, and it's super easy to integrate into any rig. 90% of the time I play them through my Genelec 8040a monitors in my studio room but it's portable enough to take anywhere. I still have my Orange Rockerverb 100 MK II w/DIVO and 412 cab for the 'real amp' stuff but with every update the Axe FX II gets closer and closer to the real thing. Since getting it I haven't spent much time thinking about effects or pedals.

skerwo

11159.jpg

My actual board since a few years. I´m running into a german made JTM45 clone combo, modified for superb clean tones. The Nova System gives me all I need except the Wah, I use all ODs and distortion from the NS.

The Tech 21 Blonde is a backup for amp problems or a solution for small venues where you can´t use the power of a JTM 45.

Last edited:

spkirby

Out of all my pedals, there is one indispensable ingredient in my tone...for me, quite simply the best OD ever!

1_156890088.jpg

Last edited:

Jack FFR1846

I'm still using a Digitech RP250 fx pedal with a EB Jr volume and occationally a boss DS-1 distortion in front. I really need a dotted eigth delay, so am considering either going to a Line 6 HD500 or just trading my hardwire DL-8 (got in a trade) for a pedal I can use. I'm slowly getting away from always matching the original artist's tone when playing their songs.

Top Bottom