• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Brian G

. . . The EMG-X series pickups? Thinking my nice ASS, which I've owned for several years, would appreciate a Luke to replace the MkII that I sold roughly four years ago.

I'm a bit out of touch, but aware of of the LIII, however I'm wondering if the active pickups would add a nice change over my other guitars. Are the EMG-X series actually a bit more open sounding, as compared to the non-X version?

Perhaps there's a reason why EB hasn't elected to use them, outside of the one gold special run I'm aware of?

Not intending to second-guess the manufacturer, just seeking info.

Thanks
Brian

Luc

You are right, the only Lukes that came with EMG-X series were the PDN True gold w/ rosewood neck Lukes available around 2010(?). You can buy them seperately, though. I'm not familiar with the X series, maybe others can enlighten you on that one.

JasonT

As Luc said, just the PDN True Gold Luke came stock with the EMG-X pups.

To my ears, the EMG-X fall between the active Luke pups and the passive Luke pups. I prefer the EMG-X to the EMGs, but I prefer the Dimarzio Transition pups in the LIIIs (I've always preferred passive pups) to both sets of EMGs. But, I think the EMG-Xs work really well in the TG Luke. Finally, I don't believe you can buy the entire set of EMG-X pups that came stock on the TG Luke. I think you could get the single coils but not the humbucker, or vice versa.

Brian G

Thanks!

Jason, can you provide any further details on what the Luke III passive pups might be similar to? I probably shouldn't rule out a Luke III, but it would be helpful to have an idea as to what the passives might be like, however subjective. I would be very familiar, for example, with Texas Specials, CSS 69's, Fralin Vintage Hots, but would tend to want to avoid hot, darker-sounding pickups.

I'm more interested in nice cleans and slight edge-of-breakup tones, but don't care as much about distortion.

Brian

Last edited:

seagate

For me the EMG-X are too hot! I get far more character out of my Luke II with EMGs.

I'd go for the Luke III if I was you, the new pick ups are far superior to both versions of EMG pups used previously.

JasonT

Thanks!

Jason, can you provide any further details on what the Luke III passive pups might be similar to? I probably shouldn't rule out a Luke III, but it would be helpful to have an idea as to what the passives might be like, however subjective. I would be very familiar, for example, with Texas Specials, CSS 69's, Fralin Vintage Hots, but would tend to want to avoid hot, darker-sounding pickups.

I'm more interested in nice cleans and slight edge-of-breakup tones, but don't care as much about distortion.

Brian

Brian - I'm not good at pickup comparisons because I have not swapped out a lot of pups from those that are stock and I'm not familiar with the ones you mention. I would describe the LIII Transition pups as hi-fi - a little hot (but not necessarily high output), but clear. Very good dirty or clean. The in-between clean tones (positions 2 and 4) are chimey, which I really like. I would not call them "dark" sounding. The best thing to do is go on youtube and search for Steve Lukather transition pickups. He's done some cool vids that really show the versatility of the pups.

Hope that helps!

mystixboi1

For the record, the dimarzio transitions have become my favorite pickup ever. The Liii is also my favorite guitar ever!!!

Craiguitar

For me, and I realise this is a personal thing, but as good as the Transitions sound, there's something about them that doesn't quite hit the spot like the SLV / 85 combo on the Luke II. Perhaps this is a case of a 'different' vibe ratherer than better or worse. I'm still going to get an LIII soon to add to the tonal pallette, but I have a feeling the II will still be my main axe for years to come.

seagate

For me, and I realise this is a personal thing, but as good as the Transitions sound, there's something about them that doesn't quite hit the spot like the SLV / 85 combo on the Luke II. Perhaps this is a case of a 'different' vibe ratherer than better or worse. I'm still going to get an LIII soon to add to the tonal pallette, but I have a feeling the II will still be my main axe for years to come.

I think you're spot on there! The vibe from the LII is second to none. I'm still getting used to the LIII, hopefully I'll say the same about it in a few weeks after my tech had a go at it... ;)

Top Bottom