• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

SpacedOutAce

Are all 6 strings coated? Do they make the standard EB strings last longer? I love EB strings and have used them off and on [usually on] for all 11 years of my guitar playing tenure, but I don't pay as often now that I'm a more "educated" [for lack of a better term] guitarist, as I noticed that corroded strings don't sustain or tune as well, and playing on them, you can slide and notice the icky spots. I wash my hands before playing, wipe them off afterwards, and it helps a bit, but still I find myself wishing the strings excellent tone lasted longer than 2 weeks. Granted, my fingers can corrode strings in the first abuse of the strings, though they aren't totally done; there's just spots where the shiny string is starting to dull. I'm really curious about the coated strings and thought I'd ask here because the literature on them on the site is misleading if all 6 strings are coated. Otherwise I'm gonna have to use that coated string company that also starts with an E.

And one little side note suggestion: It'd be nice if you could order single strings like with the standard Slinkies because I'm kinda picky about gauges, I guess.

Anyways, thanks for any info that can be provided. :D

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I love the Coated Slinkys, they are my first choice! They last significantly longer and yet they sound and feel almost identical to normal Slinkys.

The plain strings are the same rust-resistant tin-coated stainless steel that all EB plain strings have, plus the titanium windings at the ball end. BTW, the other strings companies use similar plain strings in their both their regular and coated strings sets (though Elixir used uncoated plain strings for a while due to supply problems). The wound strings get the coating process you're paying for. It's not an industry secret, you just have to do some reading (sometimes between the lines).

Why do they all use the same plain strings? Oddly enough, as the tone of wound strings goes dull, the brain judges the whole set as dull even though plain strings' tone doesn't change much at all. It's not necessary to add additional coatings to plain strings.

BTW, nothing misleading about the EB Coated strings marketing blurb..

Ernie Ball Coated Slinky Strings combine the latest technological advancements in string manufacturing. All wound strings are treated with ground breaking nanotechnology that repels unwanted moisture and oils that negatively impact your tone. In addition to treating the wound strings, each plain string features a patented reinforcement winding of titanium wire.

Last edited:

Texaco

Hey ! I think I may have the same issue that you have, so here is my non-technical insight !
I used to play only once or twice a week. I have a pretty corrosive hand sweat, and the strings (standard slinkys and/or D'Addarios) were sounding and feeling too bad for my liking after only 1 or 2 weeks... So I switched to Elixir on the advice of guitarist friend of mine. Perfect for this issue but, in my opinion, they do not sound as good as EB strings. So I switched again to EB with the coated slinkys. Since then (1 year ago), it has been working great for me ! Lasts longer and sounds better ! I know use them whenever I know I won't be playing much !

So even if it may not last as long as Elixir, it really lasts longer than non coated EB, so you should give it a try !! ;)

Lax

I was using coated, tried cobalts, and if M-steel are not my thing, I'll get back to coated ones, for tone and lifetime !

RMedel

Hi! I've been using Elixir Coated strings for years because I love the coating. I purchased a set of regular Slinky strings at GC because they were out of Elixirs. I recently learned that Ernie Ball makes a coated strings as well and considering trying them. I love the sound of nickel strings but I don't see anywhere that the Ernie Ball Coated Slinky string are nickel. I keep reading Titanium. Can anyone clarify as I like to try a set of coated strings. Thanks

RMedel

Thank you for the clarification on Nickel vs Titanium. I will order some coated set now.

Top Bottom