• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

joe web

hi guys at EBMM,

i realized, that the new Y2D guitars, build since 2012 i guess, have a different radius of the biding.
it´s more edgy as on the old models, more like on the Axis guitars.
so my question is, why did you change the radius?

i always thought that steve didn't want a binding at all on the Y2D and you guys made one with this nice rounded contour. the first thing i noticed on my PDN 2012 guitar was the sharper edge of the body and i realized this on the new solar flare Y2D i tried out at my local dealer.

it would be nice to get some informations about this change of the radius, is steve happy with it as it is now?

just because it's a great video:
Ernie Ball - Steve Morse Talks With Sterling Ball #2 - YouTube

GarMan

I played a few new Y2Ds recently, and I haven't noticed a difference in the binding radius?

PeteDuBaldo

There is a slight difference in the radius of the binding, possibly from the hand-sanding or a maybe change in the build process. EBMM would have to confirm if something has officially changed in the process.

After seeing this thread yesterday I grabbed a "first-run" y2d built in 2005 and a "just made" y2d built in 2013 and took a good look at the binding on both. I then brought out a contour gauge to confirm that they were indeed different. The difference is minimal, but it is definitely there.

Fontanz

Just got a Y2D built in 2015 and also realized the different edge radius in comparison to two others I own that were made in 2007 and 2009. I didn't expect this change at all. To me the difference is significant and I don't know yet if I can deal with that in the long term.

Top Bottom