• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Larry

Been lurking for some time and just finished playing my Reflex when it dawned on me that you don't see many threads around here about the Reflex.

Shame as it's such a amazing instrument.

Thoughts?

ozzyrules

I love the versatility of my 25th. I often wonder if color/maple top option would have put the Reflex on the proverbial map. It's such a killer guitar from a practical aspect. Love it!!!

Larry

I love the versatility of my 25th. I often wonder if color/maple top option would have put the Reflex on the proverbial map. It's such a killer guitar from a practical aspect. Love it!!!

I love my gold top Reflex w/ matching headstock and rosewood fretboard, total class. The birdseye neck really makes it unique as I don't seem to see many with a highly figured neck.

Tollywood

To me, the Reflex is the middle aged version of the Axis: the body is similar but a little bigger and all about comfort (the arm carve), and the once muscular neck is a little thinner than it was in it's glory days.

I agree that nice tops and colors would make the Reflex more desirable. At least to me.

Stratty316

I agree with Tollie. Loved the 25th and the Maple topped Reflexes they did for GC and am dissapointed I missed out on them... But I would go for a Axis Super Sport at this point over the reflex because of the top.

Barny

Despite the fact I do own a 25th with a stunning flame maple top I am not a fan of flame/quilted tops, I totally understand that asthetics play a huge part of loving/buying a guitar (I havent bought a Game Changer because I dont like black guitars!!), but I wish more people would get over it and buy a reflex, Resonant, fast slim easy to play necks, versatile pick-ups/switching, perfectly balanced and ergonomic, what is not to love.

The Reflex is hands down my personal favourite guitar of all time, I have played and owned a lot of really nice guitars including custom shop "G" and "F" guitars, at one point or another I have owned one of every musicman model with the exception of the JPX/11/12/13/BFR and now Armada and if I could I would own one of each of them, but once I played the reflex I knew this was the one for me, I have bought all the PDN's I could afford and have never once been dissappointed with the build or finish quality of any of them, I feel lucky to have found such a great brand and a great guitar. Can't wait for my PDN Rosewood neck Tangerine Pearl Reflex!!!!

Stratty316

The Reflex sounds and plays great, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that going from the 25th with amazing tops to solid color reflexes with plain maple necks is a bit of a downer. I won't buy a solid color Axis either (though I thought about a black one with a pick guard)...However, with the similarity in shape I totally get why amazing tops weren't part of the reflex. You don't want people to think it's an Axis because it's a different kind of monster. I hate when I play for people and as soon as they see the Axis they ask me to play "that guy's" stuff... I can see a nice top on a reflex inspiring the same thing...

Although a roasted maple option may change my mind on this if it happened in the future. Love the rosewood, but the AL has that covered.

mikeller

To me, the Reflex is the middle aged version of the Axis: the body is similar but a little bigger and all about comfort (the arm carve), and the once muscular neck is a little thinner than it was in it's glory days.

I agree that nice tops and colors would make the Reflex more desirable. At least to me.

I own an Axis SS, have had several Axis (never EVH), and I have a 25th. With my 25th I find the opposite in the neck - it is by far the thickest of all my EBMM guitars.

Larry

My only grief is the big dots on the fretboard. :eek:

Other than that it's pure bliss.

Big Poppa

stratty they are in guitar center you can buy one....

Here is the sad fact...as with much of what we make the public doesnt like it. Its not a strat or lp or even worse a new guitar looks like it was made in jr high woodshop...

Lou

Love the reflex. I just don't get along with single cut guitars.

jadaxis

I love my Reflex. I do like the Axis neck slightly more than the Reflex neck, but overall the Reflex is the best, most versatile guitar I've owned. I will gladly take any Reflex off the hands of those to blind to see its worth!

BUC

Here is the sad fact...as with much of what we make the public doesnt like it. Its not a strat or lp or even worse a new guitar looks like it was made in jr high woodshop...

I do my part! I'm gigging with my 25th as my main axe 2-4 times a month. Trying to get it out there! Frequently my second axe is a SM. The other guitar player in my band has fallen in love with my SM and I let him play it onstage all the time.

For me, it's all about playability and tone. The looks or color of an axe don't effect me much as long as it's not WAY out there. Honestly, I don't want a guitar that distracts the audience from my playing.

My 25th has killer tone. I can pull sounds out of it that I can't come close to in other axe's. It has unparalleled sustain, responsive and usable tone/volume controls and you don't need to hit it with a lot of gain to get it to sing. Tuning and intonation is the most stable of any guitar I own that doesn't have a locking nut (and I'm not a huge fan of what locking nut's do to tone).

It does have some minor quirks that sometimes make me flirt with my other axes but taken on the whole, it's my main axe.

I'd be interested to see how the tone of a standard reflex is different from a 25th.

Stratty316

BP, It's been a while since I last saw one with a flame or quilt top and my local GC hasn't been able to track one down either. I'm not trying to knock the reflex, please don't take it that way. My preference is a nice top vs solid colors on this type of guitar, that's all. Hopefully that didn't come across wrong and understand I'm not complaining because I know EBMM has plenty of other models that offer features that fit my needs/wants. I also can wait patiently in case there is another special run or a used one that comes up... There are too many choices out there to complain.

JayDawg

I just got my Music Man Reflex Game Changer and I absolutely love the thing. I can't put it down. I am absolutely blown away by this guitar. If people would set aside any preconceived biases, and simply play the guitar, I believe most would like it.

Warg Master

It's a beautiful instrument. I have tried hard and sadly I cannot bond with it. The only thing I can bond with lately are the JPs ....

Top Bottom