• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

nurnay

Posted this at talkbass, but would love some input from EBMM owners...

I'm looking to go lightweight. I just tried a GK MB210 and was really impressed. I'm sure by itself it can handle most of my gigs. But for larger gigs, I'm thinking of getting an extension cab, either the MBE 210 or MBE 115. I play a EBMM Bongo 5HH, so I need to support that low end. I'm in 2 bands, covering classic rock, oldies, metal, country, etc.

I want to make sure I maintain that nice mid growl as well. Your thoughts?

Thornton Davis

Have you considered pairing up the MB210-II with a MBP210-II ? That will give you 1000 watts and 4x10's when paired together. Plus you can add additional MBP-II cabs if ever needed.

I personally own a GK MB410-II & MBP410-II myself for a total of 1000 watts and 8x10's when needed. Killer rig that weighs under 100 lbs.

TD

nurnay

Have you considered pairing up the MB210-II with a MBP210-II ? That will give you 1000 watts and 4x10's when paired together. Plus you can add additional MBP-II cabs if ever needed.

I personally own a GK MB410-II & MBP410-II myself for a total of 1000 watts and 8x10's when needed. Killer rig that weighs under 100 lbs.

TD

The MB210-II says it's 350 watts, 500 if using an external cab, so that's no more powerful. My concern with the MB210-II is it has cloth grille. Am I missing something on the power?

jlepre

Don't put all your focus on power (WATTS). More can be said about surface area (pushing more air, more speakers etc), and how THAT will effect you overall sound

nurnay

Don't put all your focus on power (WATTS). More can be said about surface area (pushing more air, more speakers etc), and how THAT will effect you overall sound

I understand that. I'm just curious which setup might suit me better. The extra 2x10 cab or a 1x15 in addition to the existing 2x10.

Thornton Davis

Nurnay, you must have a MB210-I Series amp, correct? It would have the metal grill and was made in China. Unfortunately you can't add a powered MBP cabinet to it. The powered cabinets are only supported by the MB Series-II combos.

You're only hope of increasing the amps output is to add a second non-powered 8 ohm cab to your MB210-I, then the amp will produce 500 watts of output power for you. Or consider trading the MP210-I in on a new MB210-II (500 watts) combo. Then you can always add a powered MBP212-II (350 watts) or MBP410-II (500 watts) to it if needed. The new MB Series II combos are made in California including the neodymium speakers, so the quality is terrific. Unfortunately, G-K have recently discontinued their MBP210-II powered cabinet. Perhaps they have something new to replace it with that will be shown at NAMM in a couple of weeks.

TD

nurnay

Nurnay, you must have a MB210-I Series amp, correct? It would have the metal grill and was made in China. Unfortunately you can't add a powered MBP cabinet to it. The powered cabinets are only supported by the MB Series-II combos.

You're only hope of increasing the amps output is to add a second non-powered 8 ohm cab to your MB210-I, then the amp will produce 500 watts of output power for you. Or consider trading the MP210-I in on a new MB210-II (500 watts) combo. Then you can always add a powered MBP212-II (350 watts) or MBP410-II (500 watts) to it if needed. The new MB Series II combos are made in California including the neodymium speakers, so the quality is terrific. Unfortunately, G-K have recently discontinued their MBP210-II powered cabinet. Perhaps they have something new to replace it with that will be shown at NAMM in a couple of weeks.

TD

Yes, that was what I was looking at. I searched for the MBP210-II powered cab online and couldn't find any, maybe I can find one used. I'm in no rush, so I may just wait to see what they come up with for NAMM. Or I might consider a 115 extension to go with the MB210-II. Decisions, decisions...

henrylukass

The 10-inch speakers are loaded into the combo in an almost vertical array. The purchase of the MBE210 expansion cabinet, instead of the MBE15, no longer seems an option, as they have been discontinued and no store seems to dispose of it. I found an MBE15 that is in my local Sam Ash store and this is the last one they have. After reading a few hours and the 24 pages about the pros and cons of mixing driver sizes, I'm more confused than before I started. Why would GK have designed and manufactured a 15-inch driver extension booth specifically for the MB210 if it was bad science? They could have made the MBE210 and do it with it.

ksandvik

10 cones react faster (like for funk slapping), 15 have a deeper sound (not always). Pick your choice. I used to have a 2x12 (GK MB Neo) and 2x10 (Avatar) and some bass purists thought that this combination caused problems but I stopped doing this as other band members complained I was far too loud on-stage.

Top Bottom