Votes: 19 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Hmmm...

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

dedeman

Question: Onboard booster preamp?

Does anyone have a MM guitar with an onboard booster preamp such JP13 or Luke? How useful is it and how it sounds? How do you use it? How often do you use it? Could you share your thoughts on this? I am interested in this feature and I want to know more, from people who have some direct knowledge. Thank you.

Last edited:

guitrr

Does anyone have a MM guitar with an onboard booster preamp such JP13 or Luke? How useful is it and how it sounds? How do you use it? How often do you use it? Could you share your thoughts on this? I am interested in this feature and I want to know more, from people who have some direct knowledge. Thank you.

I have the boost on my Luke III, and absolultely love it. After trying it for a few months as a clean boost, I turned it up just a bit, to deliver grit on demand. Not full out distortion, I have pedals (and amps) that can do that, but rather just a bit of "hair" to the tone. It provides another tone option on top of whatever pedal, or amp tone, you are using at any given time.

I have one of the early, rosewood necked Olive Gold Lukes, where the boost is on the tone knob. Personally, I don't find it easily accessible, I find the vibrato bar gets in the way. Would much prefer the current placement of the boost - the volume knob.

dedeman

becos micro booster oboard preamp

Thank you for your reply. I myself am looking now at this booster. I have a JPXi myself and I would really like to have this feature and get rid of an overdrive pedal which is easy to forget engaged when switching from a dirty channel to clean sounds.

dedeman

In video description they say that they wanted to power the booster from the same onboard battery... but I think I can install it with its own battery and that is pretty straight forward installation, as I can see on the other installation movies, especially on Gibson. There is room for another battery in the electronics compartment.

BECOS does also some interesting jackplates!

Last edited:

dedeman

Ok, so they finally did some decent sound demos, including this one with JPXi. Not really the shredding type of demo, but it reveals the potential and the transparency of the sound. I think it is pretty convincing... I wonder how it compares with JP13's preamp... or Like3's preamp...

Last edited:

billy carr

It works so well on the luke3,much better than an overdrive pedal. You can dial in how much gain with a simple adjustment. It can be subtle or quite dramatic. I play fairly clean, but when the boost is on I can easily scream notes with harmonics. I'd like it on any guitar. I think I may try that becos booster in my jp6. If it works as well as the mm one i definitely will put it in my Albert Lee as well!

Craiguitar

I have it on my L3 but I have to admit I don't use it. Probably 2 reasons, firstly my other Luke's don't have it, so I tend to forget it's there, and secondly I haven't found a use for it in my playing yet.

billy carr

I find it great for getting over the top of the other guitar player when doing leads. Its easy to dial in the volume for a perfect result every time.

KEOKI

I have mine adjusted to compensate for the output drop when using center position, split coils, on my Majesty. This setting is probably half way between none and full boost. Even with the reduced setting it can be used to put my guitar over the top in volume creep situations or where I need to prolong the sustain with a volume peddle

GuyWithMM

Have it on my LIII. It works okay, and like others have said, will give you that little extra when needed, but I find a boost pedal more useful and don't care for the fact that I have to have a battery in the guitar even when I don't care to use the boost feature.

Top Bottom