• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

drbob1

New owner of an HSH/trem/piezo Gamechanger

1. I assume (since I've tried it and couldn't get it to work) that there's no separate output for the piezo pickup-if I want a separate signal chain for it I have to split it using a TS cable and a splitter (tried a TRS cable but one of the outputs didn't do anything)?

2. I've set the trem up to float a semi-tone and not noticed any trouble with the piezo volume. Should I expect any?

3. If I have the guitar in a specific magnetic setting (say the original A1) and I hit the piezo it substitutes piezo, doesn't add piezo? Is it possible to edit a preset with both piezo and magnetics or is it on or the other?

4. Warmouth advertises necks for Music Man-I would like a slightly wider neck with slightly taller frets, has anyone done this and did they have any trouble with it?

drbob1

So, after using the app a little I've answered a few of my own questions. I didn't get the stereo output working (it said, "you might need to power cycle the instrument" when I changed that-I unplugged the batteries with no change, I"m still in mono). I did get some presets with piezo/magnetic blend.

drbob1

Wow, 55 views and no new info. So, another question. It occurs to me that I could have my usual presets for bank A, then have all the interesting sounds I want stored in the Z bank and load those into bank B as needed. I'd lose 5 presets, but the Bank Z ones are pretty much impossible to get at in a timely manner. Is anyone doing this?

A.J.

Here are some answers:

1. I assume (since I've tried it and couldn't get it to work) that there's no separate output for the piezo pickup-if I want a separate signal chain for it I have to split it using a TS cable and a splitter (tried a TRS cable but one of the outputs didn't do anything)?

A TRS cable through some type of splitter box should allow you to separate the signals (make sure you've got stereo in on the box).

2. I've set the trem up to float a semi-tone and not noticed any trouble with the piezo volume. Should I expect any?
Should be OK

3. If I have the guitar in a specific magnetic setting (say the original A1) and I hit the piezo it substitutes piezo, doesn't add piezo? Is it possible to edit a preset with both piezo and magnetics or is it on or the other?

Yes, change the settings for this at the bottom of the settings page.

For me I load the settings 2 different ways:

1) Live-All of my "go to" settings are in banks A & B. Bank Z will have a mute and one, sometimes two interesting sounds that I don't need to access all that often.

2) Studio-All 3 banks are loaded so I can have as many different tones accessible to me in an environment that allows time to find the sounds.

Dr. Rock

Here's my experience with TGC:

1. Yes, you will need to split to get a separate signal chain. And yes, for the most acoustic-y sound running through the electric amp is not the best.

2. I haven't noticed any volume issues due to trem setups.

3. You can do it a number of ways, as A.J. says. Lately, I've found that I like to set it for no Piezo switching option on A/B/Z, rather just use the third knob's on/off button and set it as the piezo volume only. Live, it is slightly slower switching, however, because you have to roll off the regular pickup volume to avoid the blend. But a blend might sound pretty cool if you do the aforementioned splitting.

Last edited:

drbob1

Yeah, it weirdly took two or 3 tries to get the guitar to accept the change to split signal ("you may have to power cycle your device to change this setting"-which device, the guitar? and how, by taking out the batteries?). However it is working now. It's a different acoustic sound than some of my other AE guitars, a little more mids and less stringy in the high end. Definitely a useable sound. Gotta use this a few more weeks before I decide if it's a keeper or not (I've used the same Parker Nightfly as my grab and go guitar for nearly 14 years now, so this being more flexible and better sounding would be quite the endorsement).

Stroonz58

Hi all,
I just got a GC and really love it just for the guitar itself. Easy to play, very comfortable, good sound quality and looks great. I have 2 questions, 1)is there a setup manual or spec sheet anywhere? I downloaded the PDF for the GC controls layout but I think I may need to make some adjustments to the neck & pickups. I noticed I don't get a helluva lot of volume out of this guitar even with all pups on! The pups look like they could come up a bit but like to know what the factory specs are. I got it from Sweetwater & they do a great job of setting up & checking out the guitar before shipping so I don't know why it seems so low. All the pickups work individually when hooked up to web app.
2)Is there anyway to print out the current setup on the guitar from the app? Would be a big plus to know where they are once getting it setup and labeled the way you like it.
Thanks.

drbob1

Has anyone changed the neck on their GC? I'd love to have another 2/64" of width at the nut, and I see that some of the neck manufacturers advertise MM compatible necks? Or is this heresy?

Dr. Rock

Heresy? Nah. Seems like much chatter from MM players is about digging the necks though. Funny, I had a pointy Jackson a few years ago that I really liked, but it was a bit too wide and caused hand pain. I kept thinking I'd swap out the neck to save the guitar, but ended up just selling it. Hopefully you don't have to sell your GC!

Stroonz58

Hi A.J.,
I finally got around to trying to adjust the pups on my GC. Unfortunately, when I raise (loosen) the set screws the bass side comes up and is somewhat stable. But once you raise the treble side, the pup gets floppy like a fish out of water! Usually adjustable pups are spring-loaded. I don't think this is the case with the GC. I know they're lower than the heights you suggested above but doesn't seem to be a way to raise them without them becoming loose. Also, the piezo is much louder than any of the others. Will try to call customer service to see what they suggest. I just got this guitar & don't really feel like spending $75 for a setup that I can do myself. Thanks.

Top Bottom